My dad gave me a turkey call....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad gave me a turkey call....

So, here i am, 62 years old, with a 92 y.o. dad. He's still up and around as much as a 92 year old can be. He's the oldest, only remaining, of 7 brothers and sisters. He's outlived all his immediate family members, my mother, and nearly all of his friends. He faces his mortality daily, and spends a lot of time going down memory lane. It's about the only place he cares to go.

I go to his house on Sunday afternoons and pay his bills, and handle his business, and visit. Never quite knowing what the experience will be on any given Sunday. Today he surprised me.

He gave me turkey call he had made at some point in the past. It's a box call made form an old yard stick. Very simple design. For as simple as it is, it makes a remarkable sound. It will call a turkey. The slate is a slate he got from his father. You can wrap it up with the elastic band he made for it. Chalk up the slate with a little piece of chalk that can be stored in the box. God willing, i'm going to kill a turkey with this thing next spring, then it'll go into a display box.

This goes to the top of the list of my possessions, right next to my grandfathers old post driver. Good times.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mikemorvan; 07-21-2019, 08:01 PM.

Very nice!!

Comment

Fantastic!

Comment

Very cool

Comment

That’s so cool! No telling how many gobblers fell victim to it.

Comment

That’s awesome.

Comment

One of the coolest things I’ve ever seen, can’t wait to see when you post about the turkey you kill with it. Even if you don’t, it will be cool to go sound that thing off in the woods knowing your dad made it. Happy hunting and God Bless!

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

That's freaking cool.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

That is about as cool as it gets. Looking forward to the hunt recap when you are successful bagging that turkey with it.

Comment

Fantastic heirloom!

Comment

That’s gonna be a great memory of your Dad !

Comment

Very Nice!!

Comment

That my man is AWSOME!!! Hoping for a great turkey hunt!!!

Comment

That’s awesome Mike, definitely a treasure and heirloom.

Comment

Working...
                              X