No announcement yet.

Colorado here we come!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might sound funny but one thing I've done before in practice is sprint around the yard a couple of times then immediately stop and take a shot. You'll be breathing like climbing a mountain and heart racing when shooting at something.

Comment

Acclimation is the ability for your body to process out carbon dioxide and absorb oxygen. What shape you are in has little bearing on how you will acclimate. Hydrate, give elevation time, sleep low hunt high. Diamox can help speed up acclimation.

As far as what to take, the last thing I wanted to do was hike down to get water. Take some large hanging water bags that you can screw in a filter to. You'll carry more weight but make less trips. Fill them after you get to camp. I ditched the 4 season bag and tent for a two season tent and 30 degree bag with a liner. I've slept in temps down to 15 with my clothes on. Cold but survivable. Take an air up pillow. This all assumes you are packing in but the water bags apply even in base camp.

What unit are you hunting (both Wy and Co)?

Comment

Anyone try one of these to get your body used to lower amounts of oxygen?
        Since 2010, TrainingMask.Inc has been the pioneer in performance breathing solutions for trainers, athletes, and the everyday fitness enthusiasts.

Comment

get you a sawyer water filter for your pack beats carrying all the water at one time, If you know you have a water source where you hunt. where I hunt there is plenty of places up high to get water from.
          i have never had a problem with the altitude, just make sure to drink plenty of water. we hunt from 7500 up to 10500.
          (so what stays in my pack, water filter, 2 knives, extra calls, game bags, gps, rangefinder, extra long sleeve shirt or light jacket, trekking poles (worth it for packing out) head lamp and extra batteries. and few medical supplies.) and 40cal on my hip, i have had one close encounter with a bear.

Comment

Trekking poles. Worth every ounce

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
              https://www.trainingmask.com/
              It doesn't actually stimulate your body to produce more RBCs but it does provide resistance training for your diaphragm.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                https://www.trainingmask.com/

Not for altitude acclimation. The only thing that will simulate high altitude is a chamber.

Comment

Originally posted by Wylde E View Post
                  Game bags, rain gear, water bladder, gps, couple cheap lighters, and head lamps.
                  Originally posted by texaswoods5 View Post
                  check to all that
                  Something like cotton balls saturated in Vaseline to help get a fire started in wet or damp conditions. It is no fun trying to find something dry to get burning while you're soaked to the bone, it's dark and still raining. And you're starting to shiver. Happened to me.
                  There are the cotton balls, commercially made items, or you can pick up some fatwood while you're out in the pines. Videos on YouTube about fatwood.
                  Also, the sap that seeps out of pine and spruce trees he is very flammable. It helps to find it before you need it, though. I've seen big dead standing pines with the stuff seeping out in big globs. Bring you a bag to collect some.
                  Whenever you leave camp, have everything you need on you to spend the night out in the woods. Particularly with your kid.
                  Not necessarily a sleeping bag or anything, but a warm jacket, a poncho or rain fly, even, something to get a fire going easily, and something to eat.
                  Last edited by Brute Killer; 08-15-2019, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Good luck! Pack something with sugar whether it is energy drink mix or gummy bears. It can help you out in a pinch.

Comment

Good boots and a really good first aid kit !

Comment

Your Chances of AMS decrease exponentially if you stay you first night under 8k

Comment

Working...
                        X