How to make a gutting table/rack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a gutting table/rack?

I've always gutted with the animal laying on the ground - I like that better than hanging them up to do it. As I've gotten older though, all that leaning over and kneeling is a little hard on the joints. I've seen on this site, in pictures from various leases, a trough-like table or rack built so you can lay the deer/hog securely on it's back and do your gutting while standing up. Does anyone have a picture or plans on how to build one of these?

I would like pictures, so I can replicate. Great post jerp.

When I was a guest worker on the King Ranch 2 years ago, we gutted in the field, but we skinned and butchered VERY fast using one of those V-shaped tables.

Comment

That really all there is to it guys, just make a V-shaped trough out of square tubing or wood with the sides of the V about 12"-18" deep. I've seen them down here on all types of wheels/rollers and materials. I personally like the square tubing ones, the open sides make them lighter. If this does not get ya'll in the right direction I'll go out to the cooler on the ranch and Hibler's in Kingsville has some I can take pictures of.

Comment

I gutted several deer & hogs last weekend with one and they do make it lots easier. If where you'll use it doesn't have enough slope, I'd build it slanted to help the innards flow outwards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnnie Gutting.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	23815668
        Last edited by Devin; 10-26-2006, 07:30 AM.
        Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Hogs are a different story, but I quit gutting deer several years ago. Hang them up, skin them, cut out the backstraps, cut off the front legs (shoulders), cut loose the body from the hanging rear end, split the pelvis and you are done. Of course, you can make a cut inside the body cavity before separating the body from the hind quarters to remove the tender loins.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cradle at work.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	23815674

Trailboss

Comment

This is a very good thread. I've been using my tailgate, which seems to be the perfect height for me, but I do get funny looks when my truck is covered in blood.

Comment

Russ79 I don't want to be a rule hound but you better be careful doing that. We had a game warden come into camp when we used to lease and issue a warning to a guy who gutted deer like that. The GW stated that a quartered carass is,
                - Not more than 2 forequarters, leg portion to the knee attached to shoulder blade
                - 2 hindquarters (leg bones down to the hock)
                - Backstrap/trimmings from neck and rib cage (the boned out neck and rib cage may be discarded.

just don't want anybody catching it from a hard nose GW.

Comment

I need me one dem!

Comment

Dang, Trailboss. That is purdy! Looks light too. I bet they have them in a form you can fold flat for in the bed of your truck, or against the wall in a shed/garage. Where'd ga get-it? (my best redneck text)

Comment

JavalinaRuss,
                      I'm trying to understand what about Russ97's method could be considered illegal. That is similar to what I do.....cut off the lower legs with loppers and skin the hindquarters past where the gambreal will hook in, hang them by the gambrel, skin them and cut off the head with cape and bag for "proof of sex". I then cut off the shoulders, back strap and hind quarters and put on ice. I then dispose of the lower legs, body cavity & hide. From what I have read, this meets all game laws in Texas.

Comment

Don't shoot the messenger, that is what our game warden told the guy. he didn't take any of the meat on the neck or between the rib cages. The reason our buddy got caught was the GW went to the gut pile and checked for boned out rib cages and necks. That is where the GW got him. Look on pg. 61 of the outdoor annual and it tells everything.

Comment

Page 30 of the TPWD Outdoor Annual "A quartered carcass is not more than two forequarters, leg portion (down to the knee) attached to the shoulder blade; 2 hindquarters (leg bones down to the hock must remain attached) and 2 backstraps/trimmings from the neck and rib cage (the boned out neck and rib cage may be discarded)

If you bone out the neck and rib cage you are ok from what I make of it.

Comment

I know of several cases where a GW got nasty about neck and rib cages not boned out! Seems like an awful lot of work for very little reward, but I think you're supposed to do it.

Trailboss

Comment

Originally posted by Mudshack View Post
                              Where'd ga get-it? (my best redneck text)
                              Built it with my little redneck welder!

Trailboss

Comment

Working...
                              X