Apple Airtag as Anti-theft Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apple Airtag as Anti-theft Device

I recently discovered Apple Airtags. They are about a dollar coin size and about 1/4” thick. You can hide the Airtag on theft prone valuables like a trailer, ATV, Tractor, AR-15, etc.
    Anytime the item is stolen, the Airtag will auto ping anyone that has their “Find My” app on and send an accurate location to the owner.

Couple concerns I had is the speaker inside the Airtag puts off an alert when activated, so the thief could find it and disable it. Removing the Airtag speaker is very easy. The next concern was Apples Anti-stalking notification. Anytime an Airtag that’s not yours is following you for awhile, your phone will get a notification that you’re being tracked. So potentially the thief will be alerted to the Airtag after some time. I figure that will have to be the risk I take by using them. Hiding the Airtag very very well should help.

The Airtag battery lasts a year and is easily replaced, and it even notifies you when running low power. I went ahead and vacuum packed each one to further weatherproof it.

It’s not foolproof but Airtags might help.

I have several of them in my atv, tractor, cattle trailer and tripod when public hunting.

Comment

Thief has to have a iPhone to get notified. Not sure iPhones work on the Cricket network.

Comment

Don’t these just work off of Bluetooth? If so you have a max range of 30ft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
          Thief has to have a iPhone to get notified. Not sure iPhones work on the Cricket network.
          Lol.... not sure if this was just a joke but I did laugh. But iPhone does work with Cricket as I have their service.

But I still have not figured them out quite yet to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmcgee View Post
            Don’t these just work off of Bluetooth? If so you have a max range of 30ft

No

Comment

OP, sounds like a great idea to me.

Comment

Criminals have used airtags to track cars they want to steal, women they're interested in, etc. Consequently, Apple updated the software and now airtags send an alert that you're being followed. So my understanding is that if someone steals my SxS with an airbag hidden in it, it'll send an alert to the criminal that he's being followed.

Comment

Is there a way an iPhone user can opt out of sharing the location info? If I was a thief, first thing I’d do.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                    Criminals have used airtags to track cars they want to steal, women they're interested in, etc. Consequently, Apple updated the software and now airtags send an alert that you're being followed. So my understanding is that if someone steals my SxS with an airbag hidden in it, it'll send an alert to the criminal that he's being followed.

Correct. After some time, it will notify them. That’s why hiding is extremely well is critical.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunteraudit View Post
                      Is there a way an iPhone user can opt out of sharing the location info? If I was a thief, first thing I’d do.

Yeah turnoff location services on their phone .

Comment

Are the Airtags android compatible? I know the Apple Air Pods are. But those are BT.

Comment

Read up on it. I read Bluetooth 5.0 is a max of 800 feet.

If I wanted to track a high value item, I’d get a Spot tracking device that transmits to satellites.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            Read up on it. I read Bluetooth 5.0 is a max of 800 feet.

If I wanted to track a high value item, I’d get a Spot tracking device that transmits to satellites.

It is Bluetooth but it automatically pings off anyone’s phone that has the Find My app. Vast majority of people have it on.

Comment

So it relays/repeats thru other people’s iPhones?

Comment

Working...
                              X