Grendel black on a deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grendel black on a deer

You can see the deer my grandson shot on another thread. Story goes, I had some cycling issues with my ar grendel. It's been fine for 6 years. I was shooting handloads with sst's and my fist thought was to try factory loads. All I had was eld match. My grandson shot this deer at about 75yards and hit lower 1/3 just behind from left leg full broad sind. Deer went straight down and kicked a couple of times. I couldn't find any hole or even a drop of blood on the ground or the hair. Skinned out I found a 50cent size hole through one rib and bullet fragments in opposite chest wall. No exit. Lungs were jello. Even though it was lights out I would say eldest aren't the best choice for deer.

So they make hunting bullets for a reason?

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
      So they make hunting bullets for a reason?
      That's my take. Just thought first hand experience might be helpful.

Comment

Never tried them but always wondered how they would perform in a hunting situation.

Comment

Sounds like it got the job done lol.

Shot placement with match grade ammo will get the job done.

Comment

That is all i've shot out of my Grendel and they have worked great on a handful of deer and some axis. The SST is my least favorite bullet out of any caliber so i stayed away from them.

Comment

I have had great luck with the ELD-M as well. I have watched several gel test videos and it performs very closely to the SST as far as expansion and penetration.
              I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with it.

Comment

Killed a boar a couple weeks ago with it. It hit the ground and gave me a few leg kicks and it was done.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  You can see the deer my grandson shot on another thread. Story goes, I had some cycling issues with my ar grendel. It's been fine for 6 years. I was shooting handloads with sst's and my fist thought was to try factory loads. All I had was eld match. My grandson shot this deer at about 75yards and hit lower 1/3 just behind from left leg full broad sind. Deer went straight down and kicked a couple of times. I couldn't find any hole or even a drop of blood on the ground or the hair. Skinned out I found a 50cent size hole through one rib and bullet fragments in opposite chest wall. No exit. Lungs were jello. Even though it was lights out I would say eldest aren't the best choice for deer.
                  Don't know about the 123 in the Grendel but the 140 out of the Creedmoor is straight up wicked on deer/hogs. I prefer it over the ELD-X.

Comment

Any animal with no lungs or heart will die quick. It’s the bad shots that u want to plan for. A good soft point or other hunting bullet will shine there every single time. Match bullets will never compare when it’s apples to apples.

Hogs are rats to me. I do not care what happens as long as they get lead in them. Deer I do not want running far and it’s never been an issue for me but I ain’t gonna do anything to let it be one either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot reloads with the SST's in my 7.62x39. I've killed close to 50 hogs with it and a few deer and every thing goes right down with them.

Comment

I shot a doe at 55 yards with them in my Grendel. I don’t think it hit a rib on the entry, but it took the top off the heart and and exited. She made it 20 yards.

Comment

Well I've been shooting the eld for last 4yrs in a Ar and a bolt rifle I build , have shot many Wt does and Axis, have never lost a deer, always have worked great for me.

God Bless
                          Bish.

Comment

The Hornady Black does fantastic out of my 12.5” barreled 6.5 G SBR’s. I’ve been shooting it primarily on hogs and whitetail for the last 8’ish years. The last 5 we’ve used it almost exclusively and have taken multiple bucks between 75 - 210yds. That bullet expands very well at lower velocities, however I’ve found 3 of the 5 bullets under the opposing side skin, which I consider it’s only downfall for lack of a blood trail. But then again, we haven’t needed one. Here’s the one I recovered from my sons buck this year. It’s has absolutely dropped them where they stood. This last one still weighed 119gr.

Comment

I've killed lots of hogs with a 223 ar and 73gr ELDM hand loads. Several 200 pounders.

Comment

Working...
                              X