Cutting down a barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting down a barrel

I have a 222 that I'm wanting to cut down to shoot suppressed for varmint hunting. Anyone know how much velocity I can expect to lose if I go from 22" down to 16"?

I've heard 25-50 fps per inch of barrel length but would like to narrow that down if possible. Based on the article below (skip down to "Velocity Loss (or Gain)" I think 30 fps per inch is probably the figure for a 222.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm
    Last edited by Plain Lucky; 01-10-2022, 10:20 AM.

I’d say you’re in the right ballpark.

Comment

rifle

Originally posted by Plain Lucky View Post
      I have a 222 that I'm wanting to cut down to shoot suppressed for varmint hunting. Anyone know how much velocity I can expect to lose if I go from 22" down to 16"?

I've heard 25-50 fps per inch of barrel length but would like to narrow that down if possible. Based on the article below (skip down to "Velocity Loss (or Gain)" I think 30 fps per inch is probably the figure for a 222.

You are going to lose 20-25 FPS per inch roughly. Putting a can on you will gain some of that back!!!!!

Comment

Be sure and do the ballistics research on this. Not many calibers are friendly to a 16" barrel. I know 223 and 308 are but many need to be around 20' to have functional ballistics at distance. Say a 270 for instance, most would recommend 22" maybe 20" at shortest. Im not too familiar with 222 ballistics so im not much help there.

Comment

Deleting Double post.
          Last edited by Fmjag64; 01-10-2022, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
            Be sure and do the ballistics research on this. Not many calibers are friendly to a 16" barrel. I know 223 and 308 are but many need to be around 20' to have functional ballistics at distance. Say a 270 for instance, most would recommend 22" maybe 20" at shortest. Im not too familiar with 222 ballistics so im not much help there.
            If he's adding a can, would you add those inches?

Serious question.

We were having this discussion on 6.5CM.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post

Serious question.

Typically no. Barrel length is barrel length.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post

Serious question.

For 6.5 CM, seen several like Bergara and Remmy do 18" factory short barrel variations but others will say 20"-22" is more ideal for that round to pick up speed. I mean technically, you can cut anything down to whatever length but there's generally a point when ballistics will go down the drain if too short at distance. Rifle twist will play a part too to stabilize.

Wrote these down a while back when i was building one out. These were ballpark shorter barrel minimums for ideal ballistics for bolt gun.

22-250 - 20"-22"+
                223 - 16" - 18"+
                243 - 20"+
                308 - 16" - 18"+
                6.5 CM - 18"-22"+
                270 - 22"+
                7mm Mag - 22"+
                300 WM - 22"+
                Last edited by Fmjag64; 01-10-2022, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Am i wrong in thinking a 222 should be treated pretty similar to a 223?

Comment

I shoot a 223 16” with a can on it
                    Does great

Comment

My 6mm is 18". Shoots 100gr like a lazer beam. Only tested out to 400yds.

Comment

You’ll be fairly close to that 30fps number but there are a lot of factors. Powders burn at different rates, if you’re using a faster burning powder it might all be burned by 16” and you won’t gain much with more length but some slower powders will need more length to get it all burned. As stated before you’ll gin a hair back with the suppressor but it’s at a rate of about 6” of suppressor to 1” of barrel, if that makes sense.

Comment

Delete some of your messages. Lol you have exceeded your messages. Trying to respond about 243 Ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
                            Delete some of your messages. Lol you have exceeded your messages. Trying to respond about 243 Ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Oops, please try me again!

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this thread. Decided to go down to 18ā€ rather than 16ā€ but it sounds like Iā€™d be ok either way with a 222. Lots of great info provided here. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                              Am i wrong in thinking a 222 should be treated pretty similar to a 223?

They are going to be almost identical.

Comment

Working...
                              X