Toyota Tundra buying advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toyota Tundra buying advice please

Been looking at trucks lately and I think I want to try a Tundra. I've always driven F150 for the last 15 years but I think I want a change. I'll be buying used (if I can find one). Are there any years to avoid or things about these trucks I should know? Things to look for when I go look at some to buy? Any help would be appreciated. I plan to drive whatever I buy for about 10 years.

I’m in the same place you are, but will likely buy something new.

Comment

5.7 liter for sure. The 4.7 is a little wimpy is you haul or tow your boat.. Other than that I've heard of no chronic problems with any years production.

Comment

I bought a ‘19 Tundra new and have put 60k on it so far. Have had no issues at all. Only downside to tundras are the poor mpg which I’m sure you are aware of. Good luck in your search.

Comment

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post
          I bought a ‘19 Tundra new and have put 60k on it so far. Have had no issues at all. Only downside to tundras are the poor mpg which I’m sure you are aware of. Good luck in your search.
          Honestly don't think it could be much worse than my F150 with the "Eco"Boost. It averaged around 14 mpg.

Comment

Only major issue with the early versions of the 5.7 is a cam tower leak

I would just verify that before buying an older used one w miles on it

Otherwise these trucks are simple to maintain and more reliable than any vehicle I have ever owned.... granted they are worst on gas but you already knew that

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
              Honestly don't think it could be much worse than my F150 with the "Eco"Boost. It averaged around 14 mpg.
              I don't tow anything and now more than 300# of corn and I get 16 plus a tad on the highway. 2016 extra cab.

Comment

Guy has a 2016 on here with a bunch of extras, at first I thought he was over priced but after looking it up he's in the ball park.

Last edited by Bassdeer; 01-06-2022, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post

Otherwise these trucks are simple to maintain and more reliable than any vehicle I have ever owned.... granted they are worst on gas but you already knew that
                  Can you define "older"? Like when did that problem start happening?

Comment

I have a2010 Tundra with lift and 33's it get 12-13 on the road I have 226,213 on it and all
                    I have done is the front wheel bearing. batteries and breaks routine maintenance

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                      My 2016 averages 13 unloaded. The 5.7 has a ton of power and pulls pretty dang good. I’m at 156k and haven’t had a single issue.

I would recommend getting the crewmax instead of the double cab. Plenty of cab space but a shorter bed.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post

My buddy works for Toyota. He was telling me they engineer the truck such that typical maintenance items can all be changed in 30 minutes or less. For example, all the spark plugs are located under the hood and accessible, as opposed say a Ford or Dodge V8, where 4 of the 8 plugs are under the dash (I have a Ford so I am allowed to criticize them).

OP, I am no help. All my friends that have one, love it except for the fuel mileage.

Comment

Also have a 19' with 120k, still on stock brake pads. On my 3rd tundra, sad to see the 5.7 go and sure hope the new 3.5 twin holds up.

Originally posted by popeandyoung151 View Post

Comment

I owned a 2009 dbl cab with 6.5 bed. Great truck but 2wd put 220k miles on it traded it for a 2019 crew cab 5.5 ft bed 4x4. Crew cab 4x4 tow rating is really low, cab is too big even for having 4 kids. Bed was just too short for my liking. Sold it. Next truck will be a 3/4 ton or used dbl cab 4wd tundra maybe with 8ft bed. That’s just my personal 10 year experience with tundra. Great trucks

Comment

not the best on gas mileage but great trucks, I went Ford to Toyota in 2017 and bought a Limited 2016 with 20k miles. It ran like a top and the 5.7 has some power which I really liked. I sold it and opted for a company truck and wish I could still drive a Tundra. I will again soon!

ac

Comment

Working...
                              X