30-30 ammo does it really matter? On Gr and brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30-30 ammo does it really matter? On Gr and brand

I just got done disassembling and cleaning up a Winchester 94 ranger, a leupold M-8 6x is going over it when the rings arrive .
    My grandparents always used Winchester silver tip 170
    Well since 30-30 ammunition is like hens teeth now days
    I finally found some super X and PPU soft points in 150gr ,@$27. so 170 is not happening @ $40-65 + depending on brand unless I hear different

What’s your usual go to on brand and grain In your 30-30 ?
    Any one try those 160 leverevlution , their $$$ but so is federal premium and fusion
    And Barnes

Or is this just silver bridal on a mule ammo in a 30-30 ?

The leverevlution claims adds + 100 yards to a lever gun ?
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-10-2021, 10:08 PM.

Mine only likes the Winchester silver box 170s. I couldn’t hit a paper plate at 50 yards with Hornady lever revolution

Comment

Remington or plain Winchester 150 gr has always worked good for me.The Hornady leverrevelutions improved the distance but they seemed to act like FMJ on animals,they seemed to just zip right through with no expansion,knock down or hydrostatic shock.Federalmakes some125gr HP that’s supposed to give you a lilmore distance but are heavy hitters too but I’ve not been able to find those hens teeth.

Comment

Remington Core locks.. Proven

Comment

My 30-30 loves REM Core Lokt 150gr. It HATES the hornady stuff.

Comment

It’s really hard to beat 170gr bullets out of a 30-30. They just flat kill

Comment

Most people I have known to use a 30-30 for deer, used 150 gr. Should work great.

Comment

My marlin 30-30 shoots the Remington & Winchester very good, but it loves the federal blue box

Comment

All are fine if it shoots OK.and suits your pocketbook...if ya hit vitals they all work

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                    My marlin 30-30 shoots the Remington & Winchester very good, but it loves the federal blue box
                    This is what my Marlin likes as well.

Comment

Same with my Marlin 336, it does good in Remington Green & Yellow 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I took my model 94 flat band to the range on Monday and hit the 1 in red bullseye 2 out of 3 shots at 50 yards with Winchester super x 150 grain. That’s with iron sights.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                          I just got done disassembling and cleaning up a Winchester 94 ranger, a leupold M-8 6x is going over it when the rings arrive .
                          My grandparents always used Winchester silver tip 170
                          Well since 30-30 ammunition is like hens teeth now days
                          I finally found some super X and PPU soft points in 150gr ,@$27. so 170 is not happening @ $40-65 + depending on brand unless I hear different

What’s your usual go to on brand and grain In your 30-30 ?
                          Any one try those 160 leverevlution , their $$$ but so is federal premium and fusion
                          And Barnes

Or is this just silver bridal on a mule ammo in a 30-30 ?

The leverevlution claims adds + 100 yards to a lever gun ?
                          I usually use the Winchester soft points Super X but recently bought 80 rounds of the Hornady. I havent shot any yet so cant comment but the concept, testing, and ballistics look amazing. Hornady has never not delivered for me so I think they will be a game changer but need to put one in a cavity to see first.

Comment

Dad's Marlin always preferred the 150 and 170 grn. Killed a lot of deer with that thing.

Comment

Ours likes the Leaverevolution, but good luck finding them.

Comment

Working...
                              X