Who has one of these bows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has one of these bows?

So who has a metal riser takedown? Hoyt gamemaster, dorado, buffalo, etc. Martin jaguar, saber, or panther(aka diablo), 3rivers Dalaa etc. I'm going to get a metal riser recurve takedown and want some feedback on what's the best, pros cons, etc. if anyone has one and is near the central texas area and wants to shoot that'd be awesome to get to try em myself. Waco or Austin areas. Don't really want to spend most my paycheck on a Hoyt buffalo or something but I cringe every time I scratch my brushwolf.

I suggest that you go to Trad Talk website. Do a search on any one of those risers and you'll get loads of info.

Comment

Trad talk? I'll check it out. Thanks

Comment

I have the Das 17" riser left hand,with recurve and long bow limbs, if you shoot lefty, you would be welcome to shoot them.

Comment

I don't... Thanks for the offer though. How do you like that bow with recurve limbs on it?

Comment

I like it, 62" with the recurve limbs has a lot of adjustment for tiller and center shot.

Comment

I have a couple of the old Bear Bearkat takedown bows. They have a metal riser. 1960's tech. They are old institutional bows, I think they were from a college or something. My brother and I each bought one at a garage sale in the 80's, and I still fiddle with it today a little bit.

I also have an old Browning "folding" recurve. I've not seen another one in real life. It is neat to shoot.

Comment

I had a 17" metal ILF riser a couple a years ago. The balance on that particular riser didn't suit me so I got the chance to try a 19" wood type ILF that I like pretty well and have been shooting ever since.

I have a new Morrison 19" coming in the mail this Friday. It has a rounded shelf for off the shelf shooting and will accept a good variety of grips. I'm hooked on the practicality of the ILF system, so I'm hoping I like this riser. I'll know for sure in a few weeks.
                Last edited by JoeyF; 12-23-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Metal risers offer a lot of advantages over wood, and two main disadvantages - weight and cold to the touch. The advantages are almost too numerous to list, which is why they are very popular. Adjustability, shooting qualities, etc.

Tough to go wrong with a Trad Tech Titan or a DAS Dalaa. But there are lots of choices. I guess I should push the SKY metal ILF risers since I'm on their shooting staff, but honestly, I've never shot one of their metal hunting risers, just the target line.

John

Comment

I have a Hoyt Excel ILF. I really like it, but can't compare it to much.

Comment

On a budget, a 21" Excel in blackout makes a great hunting bow. And very light too.

Comment

I am in the process of having a metal handle made for ILF limbs right now. When I get the blank with the machined ends back, I will post some pictures of it. The cost was very reasonable I thought.

Comment

A foldable browning?! That's awesome. And I'm thinking I'm just going to jump for it and go for the new martin jaguar elite. They remade the entire bow and it's supposed to be pretty sweet now. Even have it a rounded shelf for shooting off the shelf and gave it all the vibration dampening stuff.

Comment

Didn't know company's made custom risers Draco, that's pretty sweet too

Comment

I have limited experience with a few of the bows that you have mentioned. I will second the Hoyt Excel "black out" (black out is just the color) they're great bows, if you want to shoot off of a rest the Excel will not disappoint you, the resale on the Excel is a big plus if you don't like it. The Excel is ILF so the limb possibility is endless.

I can honestly say that I really liked the shelf on the DAS the best, the design is second to none as far as shooting off of the shelf, IMO. I personally found the DAS limbs to be very expensive for what you get.

The Hoyt "non ILF" bows are limb specific and don't have very many options other than draw weight. It seems that people buy them before the figure out the ILF gig.

All this said I went back to my longbow, even though I found the Excel setup very easy to shoot consistently. Good luck and have fun!!!

Merry Christmas,
                              Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X