Powderhorn WMA Youth - Semi Live.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RS3 View Post
    I know of one Sambar spike buck that didn’t get to see the sunset tonight! Good luck!
    Is that a tease?

Comment

Pretty uneventful day for us. Covered a lot of ground and never saw an animal on the list. When we left there were 3 sambar spikes being skinned. Hopefully things change tomorrow. May ask for a different compartment if the morning doesn’t produce, never saw much sign in ours today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I hunted the early November hunt this year. Definitely hit all the spots with standing water, the deeper the better. Drive around and glass the water holes, nothing there, move on. We hunted stand 6 and 17 and only sat in the stands for the first/last hour of daylight. If you switch to that unit, shoot me a message and I can tell you where I consistently saw hinds and ended up with a 4 point Sambar. It was a great experience and I believe all hunters were successful. Shooting sticks were a must have as I ended up sitting up on the edge of a large and deep marsh, tons of activity.

Comment

Powderhorn WMA Youth - Semi Live.

Back at it this morning. We’ve seen 9 whitetail so far including 2 smaller bucks she didn’t want to shoot. Will be moving to another area soon to search for sambar, not much sign of them here that we’ve seen.

Last edited by Death Dealer; 01-09-2022, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Go get em. Long trip between the Powderhorn and Colmesneil, 5 hrs? The worse part is you have to go thru Houston.
            Last edited by SabineHunter; 01-09-2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Dealer View Post
              Back at it this morning. We’ve seen 9 whitetail so far including 2 smaller bucks she didn’t want to shoot. Will be moving to another area soon to search for sambar, not much sign of them here that we’ve seen.

We Are here now too...are you the one that moved to 19 and 20? That's where we were last night and killed a spike and a big 3x3...

Comment

We are about to head back out, if it was you guys that moved to 19 and 20, our spike showed up in front of 20 out in the middle of the water at about 330p. That's all we saw from there but there was quite a bit of commotion after we killed, even that spike was a beast and tough to move around with an 11yo.

My buddy and my older son were down in 19, they had a hind come out into the pond around 4 or so I believe and that's all they saw till about 545p. So they got out and glassed the road and crosscuts from the mule on their way back up to 20 and spotted 3 or 4 hinds and the big stag my son shot, so I wouldn't sit still in the stand all day if I were you.

They were on the east side of the washout with the cones when they saw all of them.

We scattered some corn along the road between the stands as well, and also poured some out along the shoreline east of 19.

Good luck!

Comment

Headed to skinning rack. Pics coming soon...

Comment

In!

Comment

That’s good news, in for the pics!

Comment

Oooooooyea

Comment

Heck yeah! Congrats, in for pics

Comment

Congrats! In for pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
                              Is that a tease?
                              Nope. A buddy’s kids got drawn. His daughter killed the one referenced above and today his son kept a whitetail buck and sambar from seeing the sunset!

Comment

Pics aren’t loading for some reason. She got a hind at 188 yards. Blew her heart up. I’ll add pics and a write up tomorrow. Have one excited little girl riding back home.

I will add that I can’t believe their plan is to wipe out the sambar herd totally but I don’t call the shots for the state. I fear this hunt won’t be worth drawing in 2 years, maybe less.

Comment

Working...
                                X