Chronographs....School me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chronographs....School me

I'm going to buy a chronograph but am a complete rookie with them. What would be a good one to buy without breaking the bank. Won't be using it much really. Mainly for getting custom turrets for some leupold scopes etc.

i have an old chrony that works just fine ... personally if you use them at a gun range , use at least the one with a remote so you can reset , do what you need from the bench .. mine has a phone like cable between the tripod and the head end ... some nowadays may be more hightech and pair to phone software ... sky is the limit ... you can go magnetic too or even full blown radar ...

just for once in a while ... my original suggestion will do just fine

Comment

Magnetospeed

Comment

If you want to just get your feet wet, this Caldwell is a great place to start. I have one of these and a Magnetospeed. The Magnetospeed is great, but I can't use it with my bow and it can be a little fiddly when switching from rifle to rifle. The Caldwell is nice if you just want to get a some quick numbers.

Comment

Magnetospeed.

Comment

X3 magnetospeed

Labradar for no budget constraint. Make sure you pay attention to which magnetospeed you want so you can use it with a suppressor. The V3 is what you seek

Comment

I’ve used a magnetospeed for a while and I’d great results. Recently upgraded to a Labradar, will be selling my magnetospeed soon.

Comment

Yep magnetospeed v3.

Comment

Oehler 35P … THE chronograph used by Benchrest shooters for working up loads. It has 2 proof channels that take 2 readings of the velocity and averages them. Printer feature allows you to print the velocity readings (line a cash register receipt) and tape the info to your load data worksheets. I shoot lots of .17’s and .20’s which the Labrador and other chrono’s won’t pick up.

I bought my Oehler back in 1990 and still use it today. Prices on the www are around $250-350. Ballisticians (people who create the load data used in reloading manuals) use the Oehler in their shooting labs
                  Last edited by Cajun Blake; 01-08-2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                    Oehler 35P … THE chronograph used by Benchrest shooters for working up loads. It has 2 proof channels that take 2 readings of the velocity and averages them. Printer feature allows you to print the velocity readings (line a cash register receipt) and tape the info to your load data worksheets. I shoot lots of .17’s and .20’s which the Labrador and other chrono’s won’t pick up.

I bought my Oehler back in 1990 and still use it today. Prices on the www are around $250-350. Ballisticians (people who create the load data used in reloading manuals) use the Oehler in their shooting labs
                    Ditto!

Comment

Thank you all for the info. Will do some comps this week.

Comment

Happy with my Magnetospeed and I use the Wiser Precision mount so I can clock and shoot groups at the same time. That was the only downside of the Mag until I resolved it.

Comment

I am waiting for the labradar units to become available again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post

Your talking used, or are you saying they are making them again ?

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              Happy with my Magnetospeed and I use the Wiser Precision mount so I can clock and shoot groups at the same time. That was the only downside of the Mag until I resolved it.
                              Only reason I sold mine! Loved it other than that.

Comment

Working...
                              X