What am i looking for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am i looking for?

Have a registered SBR lower. Currently only sbr is a 8.5" 300 blk and usually shoot supersonic (125sst with H110).

Want some more power for hunting hogs and Tx WT deer,150yard or less range. I reload so im open to wildcats. 12inch barrel build is what im targeting.

Options are:

25-45sharps
    277 wolverine
    300 hamr

maybe

6.8spc or 6.5 grendel but id rather keep it easy and not have to buy more bolts, or mags ect.

What are yall shooting in 12inchers?

Already have a 13inch .308 bolt gun, maybe i dont need anything else?

I swapped out a couple of my .300 bo uppers and went with 12” 6.5 grendel uppers. Much better round past 100 than 300bo.

Comment

My suggestion would be 30 caliber or larger bore. The 300 Ham'r would be a good choice, the 350 Legend would also be a good choice.

Look at what works in a 12" barrel Contender for deer and hogs at the ranges you are considering. Then remember those ballistics, and look for similar or the same calibers, that will work in a AR. The 30-30 and the 357 Maximum are both great deer calibers with a 12" barrel. Both have been used for many years with great success, on deer, out to 150 plus yards. The 300 Ham'r should come close to the 30-30, then the 350 Legend is very close to a 357 Maximum.

Then there are the 450 Bushmaster and the 458 SOCOM. I love my 458 SOCOM, other than the fact that I can't find any bullets I like. I love shooting that gun.

Comment

Also interested. Have a lower on its way
        Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
        I swapped out a couple of my .300 bo uppers and went with 12” 6.5 grendel uppers. Much better round past 100 than 300bo.
        What magazines?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Also interested. Have a lower on its way What magazines?

ASC mags for grendel.

Grendel or SPC for a 12”

Comment

I went with ELander in 24 and 10 round configurations. La Rue had them on sale. Feed with no problems. Hardest thing is finding ammo. I’m using federal fusion 6.5.

Comment

Killed a ton of stuff with a 25-45 16”-24” though. If I loaded more it would be a 300hmr. But honestly the legend is popular and has factory options.

Comment

if you want to stay subsonic and quiet and pack a punch , i have a 338 spectre .. pretty much a 338 lapua 300gr into a 10mm magnum necked down case ... very predictable and accurate drop to 400 yards , but you do need to know precise distance ..

here is a video we did years ago ... it rocks the plate pretty good ... i also shot right through a telephone pole that same day .. i was shocked it passed through ...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPVIbpJQV-k&ab_channel=glocker17ll"]338 Spectre Downrange video - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

What am i looking for?

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  Also interested. Have a lower on its way What magazines?

I’d go 6.5 Grendel all day for a 12” build. I run a 12.5” Grendel SBR and it’s killed a ton of pigs and coyotes. Several deer also. It slings Factory Hornady 123 SSTs about 2250 fps.

E-Lander mags have worked great. I’ve tried most of the different options and they have been the most reliable for me.
                  Last edited by Raider4044; 01-03-2022, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I'm a 25-45 fan but I have them in 16 & 20 inch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                      I went with ELander in 24 and 10 round configurations. La Rue had them on sale. Feed with no problems. Hardest thing is finding ammo. I’m using federal fusion 6.5.
                      no kidding

Comment

Looks like the 6.5 grendel is really nice.

Will shoot suppressed thats why I want a 12inch. Anyone buy the low cost PSA? Although I'd spend a little more for a better barrel. I'm not planning to shoot very far.

Looks like hornady makes the 129grain interlocks for $40/100 so that's a great option.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post

Will shoot suppressed thats why I want a 12inch. Anyone buy the low cost PSA? Although I'd spend a little more for a better barrel. I'm not planning to shoot very far.

Looks like hornady makes the 129grain interlocks for $40/100 so that's a great option.

I don't have the 12" grendel from PSA but do have their 18" barrel and it's MOA accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy PSA upper. Mine have all been flawless and shot really well. My 5.56 PSA is super accurate.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

What am i looking for?

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post

Your going to want to stay in the 100-120 grain range for bullets, especially out of a short barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Your going to want to stay in the 100-120 grain range for bullets, especially out of a short barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Whatcha shooting? And any data you care to share. Leaning towards the grendel as of now

Comment

Working...
                              X