• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good 🤞!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Pernell View Post
      Maybe you should switch to a bow.

Don’t listen to this. 156yds with a bow wouldn’t be any better. Ridiculous.

It happens. Like others said your attitude is right even though it is unfortunate. You gave it your best effort in every way. Hopefully he will be back around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry man! Been there.

Comment

Originally posted by skinsfan View Post
          Thanks for all of the kind words. Life is good and I have a ton to be grateful for but dang I feel like my ol lady just left me. I’ll Hunt again tomorrow!
          That’s the right thing, good luck.

Comment

Bad Shot on buck, feeling like crud!

They are resilient.

Hagen shot this buck a few weeks ago, 95 yards with 175 grain BTHP out of the .308. The deer went 20 yards and we heard him hit the ground. Shot was right at dark.

Entrance on left, exit on right.

We walked up on him 20 minutes after the shot and he exploded out of the tall grass bounding away from us like he was pretty bad off. We didn’t know it at the time, but he dropped in his tracks about 50 yards from where we jumped him. We gave him time since it was below 34 and found him a few hours later.

That shot placement destroyed one lung. I was shocked. Shot placement slightly up and back a bit, but no liver or gut. Zero blood on the ground except where we jumped him. Small pool of blood about 6-8” in diameter at that location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Chad C; 12-31-2021, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Years ago I shot a buck that was 300 yards out in the middle of a wide open field with a 7mag.. Squeezed the trigger and he crumbled. I thought Wow that was cool.. I gather my stuff up and sit there for about 5 minutes and then heaed in his direction slowly.. As I walk up on this "stone dead deer" I notice something that doesn't look right for a "dead deer".. I see the whites of his eyes. His eyes were rolled back in his head a bit. He did not appear to be breathing so a grabbed his antler and pulled on it and his neck was stiff as a board.. A backed up about 15 feet and he jumped to his feet and hauled azz like he just woke up from a nap.. Big white, fluffy tail flagging away all the way across the field.. There was a nickle sized spot of blood were he was laying. To this day it is a mystery.. A total head scratcher.. Lol
              Last edited by PondPopper; 12-31-2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                Years ago I shot a buck that was 300 yards out in the middle of a wide open field with a 7mag.. Squeezed the trigger and he crumbled. I thought Wow that was cool.. I gather my stuff up and sit there for about 5 minutes and then heaed in his direction slowly.. As I walk up on this "stone dead deer" I notice something that doesn't look right for a "dead deer".. I see the whites of his eyes. His eyes were rolled back in his head a bit. He did not appear to be breathing so a grabbed his antler and pulled on it and his neck was stiff as a board.. A backed up about 15 feet and he jumped to his feet and hauled azz like he just woke up from a nap.. Big white, fluffy tail flagging away all the way across the field.. There was a nickle sized spot of blood were he was laying. To this day it is a mystery.. A total head scratcher.. Lol
                holy sheite; this almost sounds like a scenario i heard when i was a youngster.
                a guy shoots a big bull elk and walks up to him and for some reason steps over his neck and starts to cut it's throat; elk wakes up and is pizzed...rodeo is on.

Comment

A couple of years ago, Nathan (son) folded a buck in his tracks. High fives! Kept an eye on him and he just didn't seem to die (slight movements, trying to move his head). Told him to put another in him. Done. Couple mins later, buck jumped up and took off.

Called Roy Hindes. Dogs trailed and bayed him. Deer recovered.

First shot was high shoulder. Ends up the second was high as well. With the deer on its side, that shot hit a foot.

Roy said the foot shot is the only way the deer was caught by the dogs. The high shoulder did zero real damage, but just stunned him like a football stinger. His advice was any deer that hits the ground but not dead right away, shoot again. If still not dead dead dead, shoot again. He said "those bullets are a hell of a lot cheaper than calling me out here."

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

I lost my first deer this year. Gut shot a nice 8 at 10 yards with my bow. No blood and never found him. Searched for hours even had a dog help but nothing. Still feel sick about it. I know it happens but it still sucks.

Comment

Never lost one with a rifle. But have poor archery shots. I just hate hurting one.

Comment

Thanks for being Honest Man...Lots would said it was caliber at fault/wrong brand shells/wrong weight bullet/Sometimes under Excitement of the hunt (Buck Fever)/wind was too strong....And some would say I never fired a shot it was across fence on another lease...

Sorry for your loss..But the way it sounds He will make someone else a Trophy someday or ...MAYBE YOU

Comment

Theres a good video on youtube where a deer takes a 7mag to the neck and survives. They shoot it, I think the next season, and confirm it was the one hit. Crazy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrage View Post
                            Don’t listen to this. 156yds with a bow wouldn’t be any better. Ridiculous.

It happens. Like others said your attitude is right even though it is unfortunate. You gave it your best effort in every way. Hopefully he will be back around.

Dont mean to sound insensitive, we have all wounded deer, but this is texasBOWhunter

Comment

Made a few bad shots over the years, a few took the urge to hunt out of me for a bit

if you hunt enough it happens

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                                Thanks for being Honest Man...Lots would said it was caliber at fault/wrong brand shells/wrong weight bullet/Sometimes under Excitement of the hunt (Buck Fever)/wind was too strong....And some would say I never fired a shot it was across fence on another lease...

Sorry for your loss..But the way it sounds He will make someone else a Trophy someday or ...MAYBE YOU
                                No, it was 100% me and I know it. Hard not to replay in your head wondering what you should’ve done different!

Comment

Working...
                                X