Shot His Antlers Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot His Antlers Off

Let me start off by saying I sure wish someone else was with me to film these events. It was certainly a "goat roping" unlike any other I have experienced. I could have been YouTube famous, instead all I have is some aftermath photos of the dead buck and some shot up beams from the other.

As I was leaving the ranch today, I noticed some hogs gathered just off the road in some brush. This is nothing new or unexpected, but I did notice a deer's butt standing amongst the hogs. That was a little unique and required some investigation.

What I found was a was two bucks locked up from fighting, one was already dead and partially eaten by the hogs. The one still alive was extremely exhausted and standing relatively still in the brush.

I contemplated shooting the live one and ending the situation, but the buck was a nice 160 class 4 yr old and I hated to do it. So.... I decided to shoot off one or both of his beams in order to free the buck. I had to shoot the live buck's antlers given the way the bucks were hung up.

Long story short and 5 shots later, I managed to break both beams just beyond the G2 area and free the bucks.

I will note that several of the rounds from my 357 Sig (Self Defense Rounds) did not fully penetrate or break the beam.

I don't know if he will survive the stress and exhaustion, but I gave it my best shot, or 5.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3067 (002).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	25270895

Name:	IMG_3066.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	25270896

Name:	IMG_3060.jpg
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	25270897

Name:	IMG_3062.jpg
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	25270898

Name:	IMG_3064 (002).jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	25270899

Name:	IMG_3065.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	25270900

Pretty good shooting at only 5 or 4 shots.

Comment

Wow, that's a once in a lifetime. Crazy that the hogs were on the dead one that quick and eating on him while he was still attached to a live deer. Hopefully the one you freed survives to fight another season.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
        Pretty good shooting at only 5 or 4 shots.

I was pleasantly surprised by my accuracy, albeit at pretty close range.

Comment

Nice shooting

Makes me hate hogs even more

Comment

Kill some hogs too?

Comment

Quite the story

Comment

Nice shootin'. Did you happen to get any pigs during the rescue?

Comment

crazy, hopefully he pulls through for you guys

Comment

Sounds like there’s a 160 class buck running around at a discounted rate

Nice shooting and what a wild story!

Comment

Good on you man, hope that buck makes it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, that’s crazy for sure

Comment

Interesting story, I’m sure that was some hard shooting.

Comment

I've had to free a few over the years, I've never shot the horns off though but of course I would if I was alone or the best option
                            Attached Files

Comment

Well that’s something you don’t read everyday. Wish you had video of it. Sounds like quite the show

Comment

Working...
                              X