No announcement yet.

.308 vs . 30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could see maybe a very light weight rifle chambered in 6.5 cm having more felt recoil than a 308. But I'm gonna say he's misinformed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Only an idiot will argue with another idiot. It’s obvious that guy doesn’t know shat

Comment

By chance is the gentleman in question an academy sales associate? It sounds like something one of their gun experts would say.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
          By chance is the gentleman in question an academy sales associate? It sounds like something one of their gun experts would say.
          No sir he's not :-)

Comment

The CM has zero recoil, can kill an elk at 12000 yards and has infinite barrel life. Best thing since sliced bread............

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

.308 drops a little out to 200 yards and then levels out to about 1500 yards. It'll take a cape buffalo beyond a 1000 yards. I've heard it's what CIA snipers used to kill Kennedy from out on Interstate 30.

But really that person has firearms and has probably fathered children. That should scare us all even worse than the Academy gun counter guys.

Comment

I use both and they are both great calibers. For common hunting ranges there is no practical difference. Yes .06 in factory form is a little hotter and typically ,08 can be slightly more accurate. Recoil depends largely on the rifle. The 6.5s were introduced because everybody's .270s were getting old. Check the ballistics out to say 900 yds.

Comment

Was at camp a few weeks ago with a near retirement aged man packing a plastic 22” barreled 30-06- shooting 170’s.
                  Talk about successfully turning someone into a flincher.

After the first buck was “missed” - (I heard a distinct hit).
                  We set up a range to see how far the 170’s were off from the 150’s he sighted in with.
                  He had no idea that’s not how it works=
                  (2”low and 2” right at 50 yards)

After we headed home we got word a 170 through the guts leaves a decent enough blood trail to find buck #2.

“Well it’s a 30-06, that’s what my dad always used” ……
                  Maybe so, but he probably wasn’t shooting 170’s in a gun that only weighs 5# [emoji2357]
                  Which is ok for a seasoned shooter, not for a once a year, let’s go kill some deer at the lease hunter.

Just saying, recoil matters….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                    Was at camp a few weeks ago with a near retirement aged man packing a plastic 22” barreled 30-06- shooting 170’s.
                    Talk about successfully turning someone into a flincher.

After the first buck was “missed” - (I heard a distinct hit).
                    We set up a range to see how far the 170’s were off from the 150’s he sighted in with.
                    He had no idea that’s not how it works=
                    (2”low and 2” right at 50 yards)

After we headed home we got word a 170 through the guts leaves a decent enough blood trail to find buck #2.

“Well it’s a 30-06, that’s what my dad always used” ……
                    Maybe so, but he probably wasn’t shooting 170’s in a gun that only weighs 5# [emoji2357]
                    Which is ok for a seasoned shooter, not for a once a year, let’s go kill some deer at the lease hunter.

Just saying, recoil matters….

Years ago I screwed up and loaded some 180's for my M77 30-06.. I shot 3 and pulled the bullets and dumped the powder on the rest.. I swear I think 2 or 3 more shots and the stock would have broke clean Off.. Kicked like a freakin mule.. DANG

Comment

How many folks who comment rifle threads have ever shot past 400 yards on a consistent basis? Over 600 yards?

Love hear the over/under on each.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                        Years ago I screwed up and loaded some 180's for my M77 30-06.. I shot 3 and pulled the bullets and dumped the powder on the rest.. I swear I think 2 or 3 more shots and the stock would have broke clean Off.. Kicked like a freakin mule.. DANG

[emoji15][emoji51]

Comment

Hmm

I've been reading the replies.
                          I've another question.

Is there a corelation between bullet weight & recoil?
                          I wouldn't THINK so. I can see bullet weight changing Point of impact. Same as heavy arrows vs light arrows....

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                            I know a guy. Says he's been a life long hunter.
                            We was talking guns and hunting yesterday. We had a disagreement, amicable, on a couple of issues.
                            Issue 1) He says .308 is just a skosh bigger than . 30-06. I told him he's full of crap. They're both . 30 cal and .30-06 holds more powder so it's bigger.

Issue 2) He says 6.5 Creedmor has more recoil than a .308, almost as much as a 300WM. I'm again told him he's full of crap.
                            Does anyone have a recoil chart?
                            You need a new friend. There are plenty of us here that agree with you.

Comment

Hmm

I've another question.

I wouldn't THINK so. I can see bullet weight changing Point of impact. Same as heavy arrows vs light arrows....
                              Generally, heavier bullet = heavier recoil.

Comment

Hmm

I've another question.

Post#4. Actually more accurate than chuckhawks table

Comment

Working...
                                X