No announcement yet.

Small Septic System for Barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following, in a similar situation with my shop, about 300 feet and part of it uphill if I were to do the pump. Would rather just go 100 feet and do the barrels though since it would rarely be used

Comment

I used two of the 275 gallon totes. Ran line into one and used the other for an overflow. It's been over a year and no problems. Saved me thousands of dollars. Google it. It's really simple.

Comment

Here is a great video to watch. I used this system for my deer lease and it works great.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YpYmGTigI"]How to INSTALL Your OWN Septic Tank | Septic System Install | Part 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I went with 500gal traditional for mine. All in about $2500

Comment

I would go barrels and a submersible pump to sprinklers. You will need a well style pump to make enough pressure for sprinklers. You can get them for less than $200 on ebay. My house is old and it had a conventional system that was done poorly and in way too much clay to function. I installed septics in college. I just dropped a pump in the last tank and it works like a champ. Successfully mowed over both sprinkler heads and now it just pumps on top of ground. Less odor that way because it isnt being aerosolized by the sprinklers. No odor at all when not actively pumping. Greenest part of my yard.

Comment

Just use a plastic tote and lay about 60ft of field line. If you have good soil you should be just fine. Or buy a cheap ag tank off craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                I used two of the 275 gallon totes. Ran line into one and used the other for an overflow. It's been over a year and no problems. Saved me thousands of dollars. Google it. It's really simple.
                I used this same design on a camp house that we ended up living in for about 3 years with a family of 3. Never had any issues. The large plastic totes are cheap and easy to find. Place the first 1 deeper than the second so the solids settle out and the liquid flows to the second and out the fill line.

Comment

What kind of penalty are you looking at if caught? Building a shop that will have a shower and toilet as well. Might be a year or so before the house is built. I am sure the tax people will be around.

Comment

this is another SSS moment

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
                      What kind of penalty are you looking at if caught? Building a shop that will have a shower and toilet as well. Might be a year or so before the house is built. I am sure the tax people will be around.
                      I'm sure it's cost prohibitive since every agency known to man will have their grubby little paws out.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        this is another SSS moment
                        Understood. I can keep a secret but would suck to get busted. The last time I built a shop the tax man was there before it was completed.

Comment

I did one years ago for my camp trailer with a singe plastic 55 gal drum, it supported the 4 of us just fine even when showering, still does.

For my container camp I used a 330 gal plastic tote, that works as well.

Either would meet the needs you describe easily.

Comment

Whats wrong with a Macerating Toilet and let it run out in the brush. You said it ain’t used much.

Comment

I had a friend that bootlegged his septic system in. He went to sell it later down the road and it was discovered in the inspection, turned into a huge headache with the county. Just something to consider.

Comment

When you go to build, the county my make you permit the structure and catch it then. Some power companies are not releasing power until there are structure/septic permits. It may never get caught, but those that do open a can of worms like said above.

Comment

Working...
                                X