• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m curious to hear more stories

Comment

You ever known of a skinny butcher?

Comment

Last time I used a processor dropped off 2 deer and got back less than 30 lbs of meat total. Do everything myself now including sausage.

I later learned that processor sold deer tamales on the side, how the he1l can u sell deer tamales without stealing deer meat?

I'm sure not all are crooks bit im much happier with the end results doing it myself.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

On cuts I'd expect to get my own deer back but on burger and sausage it's going to be mixed. Processor isn't going to fire up equipment for one deer. Probably does a minimum of #200 at a time for sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
            At a different processor this fall, I dropped off a bull elk and got back approx 140 lbs of meat from a fully mature 6x6 bull

140 lbs of meat!!!!

4 paper bags full

I said is there more? They said that’s it
            BS!!
            I got 120 from my cow, won’t use that guy again

Comment

I know 2 processors personally and have taken deer to both over the years. One told me that the HB meat is mixed with other deer and one said he grinds each deer one at a time. I believe both of them. I picked up my buck 3 days ago from then one that grinds one at a time and got back 43 lbs. of burger (nothing added) and the backstrap was cut into 3 pieces each for me to cut myself. $85.00 dollars well spent.

Comment

When I started processing my own deer, I realized how little meat actually comes from a medium sized Texas white tail. I thought it would be a lot more.

Comment

I’ve been pleased with Bay Area Deer Processors in Pasadena. However, next year I’m going to get set up to do most of it myself. Still might have them make me some of their jap cheese sausage

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                    When I started processing my own deer, I realized how little meat actually comes from a medium sized Texas white tail. I thought it would be a lot more.

This.

I also realized I get more back from the processor than when I do
                    It. I think I have more waste that goes into
                    The trash vs grind pile.

Comment

Some hunters wait hours before gutting and even more hours to get it to the processor without even putting ice in the cavity. I want no part of that grind.
                      I love processing my own. I don't knock those who don't. Some people just don't want to mess with it but I know exactly how the deer is taken care of and who's it is. I cut out fat, grissel and silver skin the butcher has no time to mess with. It makes a huge difference in quality and taste. The biggest part for me is the whole experience of harvesting, cleaning, processing, eating. It's primal. For less than $500 you can get everything you need. Takes me about 4-5 hours start to finish, cleaning and putting away.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think a lot of folks don’t realize how little meat there is on an average size doe.

Comment

Remembering the last deer I processed myself. About 3 yr old buck. Didn't weigh him but figured 120/130 on the hoof. It weighed out @ 35 lbs of ground. I was surprised that was all he had. Gotta figure in guts. That's probably half his weight. And bones, hide, head and then what you left on the bone.

Comment

All these stories make me glad I grew up processing animals at an early age and have kept doing that. My biggest fear of using a processor is they guys (and there are plenty of them) that don't properly protect their meat or clean the animal cavity after gutting. By doing my own processing I know exactly how my animal was handled and don't have to worry about getting short changed on the meat.

You can set yourself up to process your own for $1k (includes building a smokehouse) or less. You will get your money back within a year or two depending on how many animals you kill a year. And this is going with quality equipment.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

The average result for deer is 40 percent, from on the hoof to boneless meat. So, if you shot a 120 lb buck, you should get back around 48 lbs of meat. That is pretty accurate when I do my own processing.

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                                Like most of you that have dropped off your deer meat (or other animals) for processing & later picked it up, do you feel like you’re getting all of your meat that you dropped off?

Keep in mind there are lots of variables involved like meat damage, techniques, etc…
                                No. And yes.
                                Getting sausage…absolutely no. Less deer and mo pork.

They probably extract more meat than my brother processing my deer in camp. He skips shucking tenderloins and neck meat. So on that angle…Yes.

Ive never been to a processor and felt…This absolutely is my meat. There are some processors out there though that process one customer at a time…I just havent used them.

Comment

Working...
                                X