Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #1
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent/Stonewall Counties, Limpopo South Africa
Default PSA: Skin Cancer

Never in a million years would I think I would have anything like this.

Back in early Sept after a trip to the Dermatologist, she noticed a spot on my upper left arm that i had been picking at and she became concerned. Deadened the spot, cut it out and lo and behold I have skin cancer! Fortunately is is the best type to have if there is a best type, Basal Cell Carcinoma.I went back on the 29th and they did a burn and scrape and gave me some Chemo cream i start with tonight 3 times per week for 6 weeks and then see where it goes from there.

Guys, PLEASE wear sunscreen or long sleeve shirts and pants. Even though it is a very treatable cancer it is still CANCER. I know we have families and a lot more hunts to go on, so head my warning please.
Mudslinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #2
Ag 89
Six Point

Hunt In: Segovia, Menard

Praying your treatment goes well. I would add a brimmed hat to your outdoor wear. I started doing that a few years ago because I became concerned about the tops of my ears while wearing a baseball cap.
Ag 89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag 89 View Post
Praying your treatment goes well. I would add a brimmed hat to your outdoor wear. I started doing that a few years ago because I became concerned about the tops of my ears while wearing a baseball cap.
I do wear a big brimmed floppy hat for sure!
Old 10-13-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Same thing happened to me about 3-months ago. As you grow older, you just have to get used to seeing the dermatologist.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #5
OldRiverRat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Another think that a lot of
People never think about
My wife had the same cancer on her bottom lip, had to have about a 1/4 of it cut out
Wear lip balm with spf
Your lip isnít what you want a surgeon cutting on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OldRiverRat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #6
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Yep, annual visit for me too... Had a few small "spots" frozen off... This whole sun vs. skin cancer thing is another of those "... sure wish I'd have known then what I know now." items... Used to get sunburned almost on purpose at the beginning of summer so I could "toughen up a bit" and wear just a pair of shorts all summer long... If I had it to do over again, I'd do it a little different...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
argel55
Four Point

I've had 13 removed. Too much windshield time the last 13 years before I retired. Have a couple more that I need removed but wait until they start enlarging before I have it done.
argel55 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:35 PM   #8
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Yep, annual visit for me too... Had a few small "spots" frozen off... This whole sun vs. skin cancer thing is another of those "... sure wish I'd have known then what I know now." items... Used to get sunburned almost on purpose at the beginning of summer so I could "toughen up a bit" and wear just a pair of shorts all summer long... If I had it to do over again, I'd do it a little different...
Yeah all those spots showing up on us now are likely from damage we did as kids. Back when the summer had not officially started until you got your first bad sunburn. The kind where a few days later you could peel long snakeskins off your back.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
Yeah all those spots showing up on us now are likely from damage we did as kids. Back when the summer had not officially started until you got your first bad sunburn. The kind where a few days later you could peel long snakeskins off your back.

Yep, was sort of a badge of honor for us fair-skinned folks back then...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #10
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Never in a million years would I think I would have anything like this.

Back in early Sept after a trip to the Dermatologist, she noticed a spot on my upper left arm that i had been picking at and she became concerned. Deadened the spot, cut it out and lo and behold I have skin cancer! Fortunately is is the best type to have if there is a best type, Basal Cell Carcinoma.I went back on the 29th and they did a burn and scrape and gave me some Chemo cream i start with tonight 3 times per week for 6 weeks and then see where it goes from there.

Guys, PLEASE wear sunscreen or long sleeve shirts and pants. Even though it is a very treatable cancer it is still CANCER. I know we have families and a lot more hunts to go on, so head my warning please.
I've had 2 basil cell carcinomas removed and 2 squamous cells removed as well. I also had a melanoma about 8 years ago and they cut a golf ball size chunk out of my forearm to remove it. Its treatable, but needs be caught before it gets below the epidermis. Once it does It can spread rapidly and can become very bad very fast. If you have "spots" that look abnormal, have them looked at by a dermatologist asap.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #11
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

I'm religious with the Sunscreen for about the last 20 years. Before that I hardly wore it. What a dummy.
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 04:18 PM   #12
Let's go Brandon!
Pope & Young

Hunt In: FJB

Check those temples and behind the ears too.
Let's go Brandon! is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 04:22 PM   #13
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

I have it on my temples but it’s been 2 yrs since my last visit! Looking for a new dr. For that ALSO LOL! Yep, I’m et up with the dumbarse.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 04:59 PM   #14
db@100
Ten Point

Left arm, maybe like mine, because it hangs out the window when you drive. I have 4 cut off of me. I go every 6 months and have several place frozen. Stay on top of it and catch it before it get too big.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 05:04 PM   #15
db@100
Ten Point

Be careful with the ball caps. Like said above, they don't cover your ears and the space between the back adjustment strap and the back edge of the cap is where two of my Basal Cell cancers formed on me.
db@100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 05:07 PM   #16
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

Been there and done that--same tyoe on my upper chest. That was 24-25 yrs ago and no recurrence.

I go to the dermatologist twice per year and get frozen to death a little at a time. Worst part is the tops of my ears, but it beats the heck out of another skin cancer.

Use sunscreen for sure---it'll scare the crap out of you when the doc says "That's a skin cancer"
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 08:10 PM   #17
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

No need to tell me! But I'll help spread the word . I had one beside the left side of my nose just below my left eye. Cut me from there all the way to the bottom of my nose. And had a few others removed from my temple. Got to go have one looked at on my left nose now. Get-n cut on is no fun.

My Dad lost 1/4 of his nose, part of his upper lip, and the opposite lower lip. My grandfather used to get them removed off his forearms and hands all the time.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2021, 08:16 PM   #18
MassMan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fisher, Erath, LaSalle

Don't forget your back. I have two big chunks missing from mine due to melanoma that I would not have found on my own. I was lucky to find it before it spread to my lymph nodes.
MassMan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 11:01 AM   #19
Cooper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazos, Burleson, San Jacinto Counties & Sam Houston National Forest

Guy's....I just had two cut off my face, one in May and the other in July.
Lord have mercy, I don't want to go thru that again.

Cover up the best you can.
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 04:26 PM   #20
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Just started the Mon-Wed-Fri regiment of chemo cream. On before bed, washed off each morning.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #21
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Little too late for me, been in the sun for 70 years, my damage was done long before anybody was even talking about this. You younger guys heed the OP’s warning, I’m scarred up like a logging mule.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 05:03 PM   #22
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Yep. Pay attention to these thing. It isn't always so minor. My brother has surgery tomorrow at MD Anderson for spindle cell sarcoma. In his case he had a spot cut out twice before and the doctors told him it was benign and nothing to worry about. This time they gave him the bad news. He told them he was going to MD Anderson (lives in OKC) and they looked at his prior pathology reports again. Called him and said OOPS! we misinterpreted the prior results. They were cancer all along. Please take all these PSAs seriously, get your annual physical and PSA checked. Have your colonoscopy done; its not that bad. Early diagnosis means everything.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 05:21 PM   #23
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Skin cancer is no joke . This is a buddy of mine . Complete removed his bottom lip and rebuilt it . Was a few weeks ago .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #24
Voodoo
Eight Point

Hunt In: Highway Medians

Welcome to the club brother, it never ends. Get a checkup every six months for the rest of your life.
Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #25
Pope
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Lost my eyelid this year and had it rebuilt. This is my sixth in the last 7 years. Thank goodness for plastic surgeons and insurance. Set me back $3,000, but I can barely notice the reconstruction.
Something odd? Go to the dermatologist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pope is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #26
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I know, Had plug surgery in the Air Force in the temple, Have had many surgeries on the nose, ears, face, neck. Still alive and thankful for that. Pray all with this type of cancer, heals and have happy times in the future.
Oleman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top