6.5 PRC and hornady jacket failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 PRC and hornady jacket failures

I’m getting geared up to have a prc barrel spun up for my switchlug on a short action and have been researching which reamer I want. Barrel length. Etc.

I’m reading lots of issues with bullets blowing up in flight. Specifically the hornady 147 ELDM and a few 143 ELDX. 1/7.5 twist 24”+ barrels and 3k fps+. Shouldn’t be blowing up until well over that. Anybody experienced this? Any input?

Likely going with a proof 24” sendero lite 1/8 or a bartlien carbon #4 5R 24” 1/8

I’m wondering if the fast twist barrels with 3-4 grooves and the thinner hornady jackets are causing the issues.

I knew they were fragile which why I’m not a fan but I didn’t know they were that fragile!

On a positive note. I saw yesterday that Lapua is adding PRC to their line.

Comment

I’ve had one blow up in a 6.5 creed at 2850 and I’d guess prc at 3000 would be worse. Maybe a gain twist would be a good option speed em up slowly? Or go to Berger 156s. I know a buddy here has had great success with 156s at about 3000 with no issues.

I’m running 140gr Berger’s in my Mauser and haven’t had issues but about to go to left over ELDX bullets and probably loading down to 2850-2900 to save on powder and brass life with how hard it is to find. Also it’s just a hunting rig and that’s plenty speed

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
        I’ve had one blow up in a 6.5 creed at 2850 and I’d guess prc at 3000 would be worse. Maybe a gain twist would be a good option speed em up slowly? Or go to Berger 156s. I know a buddy here has had great success with 156s at about 3000 with no issues.

I’m running 140gr Berger’s in my Mauser and haven’t had issues but about to go to left over ELDX bullets and probably loading down to 2850-2900 to save on powder and brass life with how hard it is to find. Also it’s just a hunting rig and that’s plenty speed
        I’m not running a PRC to get 260 speeds lol. I want to hit 3100+.

I do figure I’ll run accubonds. But man the ELDMs shoot extremely well for long range stuff. The 156s would cause me to run a 1/7.5 and would handicap me in a short action I’d think.

I’m shocked you had one blow up in a creed. I’ve shot a bunch so far through my 6 creed at 2960 or so. I think it finally sped up and I need to chrono it again.

Comment

I’d say anything is possible but I wouldn’t be concerned with it at PRC velocities. Now maybe 26 Nosler or 6.5-300 maybe as those can really get cooking.

Here’s today’s group with 143 ELDX Precision Hunters out of my PRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            I’d say anything is possible but I wouldn’t be concerned with it at PRC velocities. Now maybe 26 Nosler or 6.5-300 maybe as those can really get cooking.

Here’s today’s group with 143 ELDX Precision Hunters out of my PRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Was my thoughts too on speed. But as much as I’m seeing it happen it’s bothering me.

Comment

Has this actually happened to you or are you just asking.
              I’d really wanna see proof of that particularly with the 143 ELDX.

Comment

Go get WTO to spin it up and run 156s like a man! 26” barrel over N570, 3050 FPS and 2-3SDs

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
                  Has this actually happened to you or are you just asking.
                  I’d really wanna see proof of that particularly with the 143 ELDX.
                  Not me as I don’t have one. Read it happened many times on a few of the PRC forums. Asking here if anyone experienced it

Comment

I haven’t seen any ELDX come apart, but I have seen many ELDMs not make it to their final destination. When we were testing the 6.5 PRC AI we lost a bunch in a 4 groove 1-7.5T. Replaced with a 5r and did fine for a couple hundred but started losing them once the throat started showing some wear. I’ve seen them do the same in an 8T. Usually not an issue until things get hot. Never seen it on the first 2 rounds in a group or when ambient temps are under 80. It’s not just the 6.5. We’ve seen it with the 108 and especially with the 180s

Comment

Just curious why a 7.5? I’m around 3060fps with the 143 in 8.5 twist and 0 issues

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                        I haven’t seen any ELDX come apart, but I have seen many ELDMs not make it to their final destination. When we were testing the 6.5 PRC AI we lost a bunch in a 4 groove 1-7.5T. Replaced with a 5r and did fine for a couple hundred but started losing them once the throat started showing some wear. I’ve seen them do the same in an 8T. Usually not an issue until things get hot. Never seen it on the first 2 rounds in a group or when ambient temps are under 80. It’s not just the 6.5. We’ve seen it with the 108 and especially with the 180s
                        So what’s your recommendations on how to prevent it?

Not shoot the ELDM?

Comment

I’ve never seen it but have not been shooting much 260 as of late. No experience with the PRC.

For those recommending the 156s yes they fly better but I have been hearing not good reports on game for those that would use them in that capacity. Problems that weren’t seen in the 140s. Do a little research and form your opinions though.

Maybe some hammer bullets?

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I have not had a problem with mine and I'm shooting the 1:8 24" Proof Sendero at just over 3000 fps. I don't shoot high volume and have less than a 100 rounds fired though...

Comment

My dad and I each had 6.5 prc's built in the TBH deal 2019. Both 24" 1:7.5 4gr proofs. They both blow up the 147's regularly. So we dont shoot them. I wish we could but the factory's average 3040... They shoot the 143 eldx well and around 3080 but I'm not a fan of that bullet. Weve since moved on to the 156 bergers and like them. My advice would be to go short or 5r. I have many buddies running 20" proofs and shoot the 147's sub 3000 with great success

Comment

Working...
                              X