Pass Thru is everything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pass Thru is everything!

I posted this a few weeks ago on Facebooks Traditional Archery and Traditional Archery Society. I thought I'd post it on here. Hope it helps someone.

I know every year we get new Trad Hunters, and Pass Thru is everything when bow hunting. Remember compounds and traditional equipment are not comparing apples to apples! Broadhead selection is so critical, wider isn’t always better. Those shooting lighter bows 45# and under should select a broad head that will give maximum penetration 3 to 1 ratio is the best if you can find one; three times longer than the width of the broad head. TWO BLADED CUT ON CONTACT, Grizzly, Tuskers, and my favorite the original Howard Hill broadhead. I don’t care what hunting show personality recommends; remember they are paid to say what the manufacturers want them to say. Mechanicals are a joke for Trad hunting. Number one reason a Pass Thru is so critical a deer is like a horse, they are a flight animal, that is their first instinct when you shoot the animal, first of all it doesn’t know what hit him. Most of the time he’ll run off a few yards and evaluate the situation, with a good pass thru most of the time he’ll lay down thinking he’ll get better and bleed out. If it sees an arrow sticking out or hitting brush as he runs he’s goes into his basic defense and that is flight, he’ll try to run away from what is chasing him until he just crashes and many times not leaving much of a blood trail thus never recovering the animal. That’s just my two cents worth and 57 years leaning a lot of things the hard way.
    Here's a few pictures of what I think are the best for trad hunters. I don't get paid to endorse a broadhead.

Howard Hill
    Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	25225777

Tuskers

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	25225778

Grizzly

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	25225779

Have too agree. Wensel Woodsman and VPA are decent 3 blade heads. Two blade there are many Ace, Magnus, STOS, Ribtek, Zwickey are some I’m familiar with. Some are limited in availability now. Cut on contact solid heads.

Comment

I like long, lean 3 blades for ease of sharpening. VPA comes to mind.

I also really like 4 blades like the Magnus Stinger. In a 2 blade head, I like a wider cut than is afforded by the Hill/Grizzly profile. But I also shoot high horsepower bows to make up for the penetration.

I absolutely want pass through's on any deer or elk I shoot though, and my broadhead choice is dependent on what draw weight, and arrow weight I'm shooting.

Comment

This is my 1st year shooting & therefore hunting with a trad bow. The broadhead I chose is a Magnus Stinger. Question from a newbie, I shot a mechanical broadhead for many years & had great success from a crossbow. I assume the reason you don't use mechanicals from a trad bow is that it doesn't generate the speed to guarantee it to open? Is that proper thinking?

Comment

It's a kinetic energy or momentum thing.
          I've killed some pigs with the Rage Hypodermic heads. At the time I was shooting a lighter arrow getting 207 to 211 fps. I never got a complete pass through but did get two holes on some pigs.
          I get better penetration with a fixed blade, even the wide ones I use, than I did with the mechanical heads. They aren't recommended by the manufacturers or most experienced shooters.
          That said it can work. But for the cost of those Rage heads I can buy Simmons Swamp Sharks that have an inch and five eighths cut, have a solid head I know will work and still get a big gash in the animal.
          And they go right though deer and pigs always leaving two big holes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I just shot a 125lb hog with a 50lb Bob Lee recurve using a 1" 125grain Tooth of the Arrow Broadhead, Shot was behind the shoulder and hit the off side shoulder, very good blood trail, hog went 100 yards. This very small 4 blade seemed to leave a better blood trail than the 2 blades I have been using, I have tried a wide variety of 2 blade heads. It is not a cut on contact head but do to its small size I think it will penetrate well, also very easy to sharpen.

Comment

broadheads hard to find and expensive. made me buy a few iron wills which are crazy good but make you puke when you lose one which is inevitable. eclipse still available and great also

Comment

Bjank...Im kinda hoping youll get into the heavy aF 3L:1W ratio broadhead fashioning and selling racket. Id be a loyal customer to a Texas manufacturer.

Im on a broadhead loosing streak. 1 lost arra for 1 shot. Ive got some 2blade VPAs 300gn 1 1/4”w (almost but not quite 3:1) inbound for the bullpen...maybe theyll take the mound.

Good push Bjank.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbow View Post
                  eclipse still available and great also

Idk if they are still available or not, but I won’t buy any more. They advertise a lifetime warranty like magnus has. I have tried several times to get some replaced under that warranty, and have gotten no response from the company!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Killed a 210lb boar this weekend. 50lbs dw, 455 grain total arrow, 150 grains up front, razor sharp 1.5" broadhead, in though the cartilage shield on one side and out through the shoulder on the other. 4th animal that broadhead has killed in a month. $5 each.
                    It's very hard for me to buy into the 3:1 hype.
                    However i believe a well tuned bow and arrow combination in the 9 to 11 grain per pound range put in the right place with most any brand of solid and shaving sharp broadhead is deadly when put in the right spots by accomplished (or even lucky like me) archers.
                    By the way it's back up on a new arrow. Let's see if it can kill again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                      Bjank...Im kinda hoping youll get into the heavy aF 3L:1W ratio broadhead fashioning and selling racket. Id be a loyal customer to a Texas manufacturer.

Im on a broadhead loosing streak. 1 lost arra for 1 shot. Ive got some 2blade VPAs 300gn 1 1/4”w (almost but not quite 3:1) inbound for the bullpen...maybe theyll take the mound.

Good push Bjank.

I'm not trying to sell broadheads, my opinion is only my opinion and from reading everything I can get my hands on from Howard Hill, who wasn't too shabby..

I don't make broadheads, but I guarantee you I can make you a handmade custom knife that will skin any dinosaurs found in North America.

Comment

Dang Bisch i have never took them up on warranty or any of the manufacturers for that matter guess i am just lazy. I dont think I have had any issues with eclipse though. Have curled a bunch of magnus in the old days. Had issues with modocs also, although guy was pretty descent guy that made them. Lots of good heads if you do your job its when you dont that the special ones shine thru. Iron will is like that. wish they were cheaper....

Comment

Working...
                        X