Protein dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein dilema

My best friend has a great ranch that has good whitetail potential. He also has exotics including a ton of Red deer. (also axis, fallow, and black buck) If I had to guess, I would say his Red deer heard is close to 200.

The ranch is 4,000 acres high fenced. He wants to feed protein, but the Red deer would make it very expensive.

My question: Is the a set up where he could feed protein to the whitetail (and axis/fallow/blackbuck) but not the Red deer?

Green Screen brain trust, any ideas?

Nope

Comment

Shoot red deer.

Comment

Best you could do is maybe build a 5’ or 6’ pen and hope they don’t jump in it. I can’t think of a single thing that will keep red deer out but let fallow in.

I’d be happy to help shoot a couple red deer and maybe the others will get the message

Comment

No sir don't think so. They will jump a fence in a hurry and will HAMMER some protein!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Best you could do is maybe build a 5’ or 6’ pen and hope they don’t jump in it.
            I know they will jump a 5 ft fence.

Comment

Shoot the red deer or put them in a different pasture if the ranch is set up with the ability to do that

Comment

Originally posted by raider19 View Post
                Shoot the red deer or put them in a different pasture if the ranch is set up with the ability to do that
                Shooting all the Red Deer would be next to impossible, and he likes them. (and I like to eat them.)

I told him the only thing I can think of is to high fence off 1,000 acres or so and just put whitetail in there and kill all the Red deer in there. Due to the terrain, it will be hard to find and kill all the Red deer.

Comment

Does he have different pastures high fenced off or all one big piece? I know of a few places where they will move their bigger exotics into a different section for this reason exactly of feeding WT and other exotics during the off season.

This or pump so much protein in the place that all animals have a chance to feed.

Comment

[QUOTE=JB_Archery;16050432]Does he have different pastures high fenced off or all one big piece?

Currently, the 4,000 acres is all under one high fence.

Comment

Anyone know if Red deer will eat cottonseed? I assume they will.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                        Oh yes, we had elk and aoudad and it was a nightmare, elk are gone , aoudad still a savage thing on CS

Comment

Might look at Wise Eye Technologies or Species Specific Feeders. They both build programmable feeders to feed targeted animals.

Comment

Originally posted by 220swift View Post
                            Yes. They will eat anything a whitetail will

Comment

I think we just need to shoot the red deer

Comment

Working...
                              X