Restoring Rifles that were damaged in a house fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring Rifles that were damaged in a house fire

Was able to recover some of the rifles that were involved in the fire at my grandparents farm. I do not expect to ever be able to get these guns back in working order, unless someone thinks this is achievable?

Right now I'm looking for any recommendations or advise for cleaning up and restoring the barrels to a state where it could be displayed in a shadow box or some sort of memorial for my grandparents. The sentimental value of these guns are immeasurable and I would like to get it back to a more presentable state to honor their memory and love of the outdoors.

I reached out to Winchester and they were not helpful at all... Any advise would be appreciated.

Photo attached of current state.
    Attached Files

Unless you just want a wall hanger, I would not try to salvage any of that. I would not trust any fire part with that much heat damage.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
      Unless you just want a wall hanger, I would not try to salvage any of that. I would not trust any fire part with that much heat damage.
      Correct, right now the plan is just to clean these up to a presentable state.

Comment

Maybe have the soda blasted and re blue them.

Comment

Electrolysis maybe?

Comment

I’d leave em as they are put em in a box and cherish the memories...

Comment

What type and caliber are these? Call someone at the NRA museum or some gunsmiths. I think I like the idea of leaving them like they are and put them in a shadow box and hang’em up. God bless your family.

Comment

Working...
              X