Trapping coyotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trapping coyotes

Who’s setting traps for yotes and have you been successfully ? What baits and lures are y’all using ?

I've caught 26 in the last year or so. It ain't easy that's for sure. I do a lot of snaring and that seems to be my best way to catch them. I have tried many times on some foot hole traps and I have only had a tiny bit of success. JMO
    My best advice is watch a TON of Videos on You Tube, you will learn a lot there.
    Just my 2 cents

Comment

Mb 550 is a bomb proof trap for coyotes. The set you use and location are probably more important than the bait or lure. Checkout trapperman.com. Ton of info available.

Comment

There are several threads on the game management section about trapping coyotes.
        Like Hills of Texas said, the specific brand of bait and lure isn't the trick. It is being in the right location and having the trap close to the travel way of the coyote. Don't try and pull them off of their normal route.

Comment

Another very helpful thing is being able to leave your traps in the ground for a week or so. Only having a few days to put the sets in and hopefully get a coyote, especially when you are just starting out, is asking a lot.

Comment

Trapper J on youtube has very good content.

Comment

This is a good video & channel

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5qoSsF5pT8M&t=30s"]Coyote Locations, Avoidance, and Refusals - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

One thing I’m having trouble finding is info on applying the different lures and scents to your set and how. Also which scents go well together on a
                Set. Currently on my dirt hole and flat sets I use a meat base lure (caverns) along with a gland lure and or coyote urine. On my scent pole sets I’ll use a gland lure with skunk essence on top of the pole as a long range attractant and coyote urine down low to get them in close to work the set. On my t-bond sets I’m using a meat base lure along with a gland lure with skunk essence right on the bone and might add some urine to the set to put their mind at ease.

Let me know how and what y’all use. Always looking to experiment and learn.

Comment

Sometimes less is more. Try using just one lure. Let it mellow for a few days and see what happens. Too much scent is a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                    Sometimes less is more. Try using just one lure. Let it mellow for a few days and see what happens. Too much scent is a bad thing.
                    Definately in coyotes. Don’t feel like you have to pour on any kind of Laura or scent and they are going to smell it. I haven’t seen for coyotes in a long time but it has always been my experience that he set After a few days gets a little better… maybe the scent gets it little more mellow?

Comment

T-bone with gland lure and/or urine applied = scent post and they will pee on it

Trying to trap a few more myself here at the house

Have caught 2 so far but need to catch more

Dirt hole is the easiest set to start with, from what I have read a flat set will catch the ones that are a little more wary/educated

Comment

I trapped a lot of them in the 70's and 80's.

Coyotes wise up quick to scents if they spring a trap that misses. I always tried to use a different scent on each set in an area. Besides concocted lures, I've caught them on dog poop, smuckers jam, and even just a handful of feathers or rabbit fur.

Fur or feathers from legal non-game birds can be used and add a visual attractant to a set as well as holding scents well. Visual attractant also improves your chances for catching bobcats that have a poor sense of smell.

Scent post sets were usually baited only with urine and sometimes feathers or fur.

Coyotes are one of the most cautious animals around traps, so human scent control is essential for quick success. Wear clean rubber boots and gloves to make a set and get out quick. The longer a set is out, the more any human scent you leave will dissipate and improve your success.

Comment

Working...
                        X