ISO fishing on the road ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO fishing on the road ideas.

As the title states, I am looking for fishing ideas while on the road. Any and all ideas both in what gear to use and areas to visit are welcomed and appreciated!

Here is what I am considering: going to try to start visiting some state and national parks, hopefully soon. I am always wanting to learn to catch fish and will be toting along three rods; bait caster, spinning and fly fishing equipment will all be in tote.

I am not proficient at fly fishing so I will be trying to learn along the way. Can cast a bit but need lots of practice. Additionally, I will be employing everything from the above list equipment in addition to hand lines and trout lines. For what it’s worth, the majority of my experience is fresh water and particularly chasing bass. Let’s hear all them ideas guys and gals

I went all over the mid west/west coast. Hit lots of National Parks and National Forests. I did everything with a backpacking 5 piece spinning rod and a small reel with #4 test. My tackle box was a 3# Folgers coffee can. A fly road would have been handy a few places but a bait caster would have been no use to me. I found much better fishing in National Forests than the parks. The Parks are high pressure. We would go on hikes and I’d fish streams/ lakes back a mile or 3 and caught enough

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      I went all over the mid west/west coast. Hit lots of National Parks and National Forests. I did everything with a backpacking 5 piece spinning rod and a small reel with #4 test. My tackle box was a 3# Folgers coffee can. A fly road would have been handy a few places but a bait caster would have been no use to me. I found much better fishing in National Forests than the parks. The Parks are high pressure. We would go on hikes and I’d fish streams/ lakes back a mile or 3 and caught enough
      I am definitely trying to save space as it will be at a premium. However, I love top water type plugs and can be more efficient fishing them with the bait caster.

I am hoping to adopt my pedal drive from the yak to an inflatable pontoon type raft. Not sure how that’s going to go but it would open up fishing larger lakes.

Comment

White river Arkansas, salmon Idaho, lake San Cristobal Colorado, the fly shop guy in Estes Park is pretty forthcoming with info. Tons of places around lake city colorful.

**recs in no particular order

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I keep a little ultralight rig in my truck. Few beetle spins, mep spinners, and those little Rapala thin minnows. See a spot that's not posted stop and try it. I've caught all kinds of stuff just messing around in creeks and ditches. Doesn't have to be a fancy spot to have fun.

Comment

Get you a nice 5 wt fly rod, 4 piece maybe, and pair it with your 4-8 # spinning rod and then a bait caster. Get 2 piece rods for spinning and casting so you can fit all 3 in one rod tube for travel.
            Trout on an ultra light to lightweight, fast action rod are just fun to fight and catch. I use a 6 ft 2 piece mostly.
            For bait casting , you might get into some double digit trout or small mouth bass, walleye too. Have something with a little backbone, helps with casting in the wind too I bet.

You may find better fishing along your way to the parks, NPs get hit pretty good .

Comment

Go watch “The Rocky Mountain Fly Highway” narrated by Tom Skerritt. I believe it’s available on Amazon Prime.

I did several of the places in the video and Idaho is beyond amazing.

Comment

I just ordered my first Tenkara today. Have tried to fly fish for years, I have a mental block when it comes to line management with my rod hand. Anyway chk out Tenkara, from the high mountains of Japan and a really cool way to fish small streams and creeks as well as ponds.

Comment

Sounds to me, you may need a trip with Doug, Glen and I around the Coastal Bend soon, so we can show you what we use and then take all of them, and apply them in practice, for a few days.

I'm ready!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    White river Arkansas, salmon Idaho, lake San Cristobal Colorado, the fly shop guy in Estes Park is pretty forthcoming with info. Tons of places around lake city colorful.

**recs in no particular order

Thanks for the suggestions. I definitely want to make a trip up into the western states and places to get local info is invaluable. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
                      I just ordered my first Tenkara today. Have tried to fly fish for years, I have a mental block when it comes to line management with my rod hand. Anyway chk out Tenkara, from the high mountains of Japan and a really cool way to fish small streams and creeks as well as ponds.
                      My son wants to try his hand at the tenkara. I had no idea what it was till he came home for break

Hes already catching fish on Flys he ties in any water he can

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                        I keep a little ultralight rig in my truck. Few beetle spins, mep spinners, and those little Rapala thin minnows. See a spot that's not posted stop and try it. I've caught all kinds of stuff just messing around in creeks and ditches. Doesn't have to be a fancy spot to have fun.
                        That’s been my plan for along time and I just never made time. It’s about time to get my butt in gear and start fishing more. I need to start doing the same.

A few years back I attended the bow hunter safety class in Kerrville. I had a blast out there catching bass on the Guadalupe. The goal was to land a Guadalupe bass but I think all of the fish I caught were just regular black bass. Will definitely start packing the rods every where I go.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          Get you a nice 5 wt fly rod, 4 piece maybe, and pair it with your 4-8 # spinning rod and then a bait caster. Get 2 piece rods for spinning and casting so you can fit all 3 in one rod tube for travel.
                          Trout on an ultra light to lightweight, fast action rod are just fun to fight and catch. I use a 6 ft 2 piece mostly.
                          For bait casting , you might get into some double digit trout or small mouth bass, walleye too. Have something with a little backbone, helps with casting in the wind too I bet.

You may find better fishing along your way to the parks, NPs get hit pretty good .
                          I totally agree the spots outside of the state and national parks will be better fishing. At some point I will be up by Wyoming and plan to hit you up for advice on where to go. I don’t want directions to all your honey holes just some of them

Comment

Originally posted by StrayDog View Post
                            Go watch “The Rocky Mountain Fly Highway” narrated by Tom Skerritt. I believe it’s available on Amazon Prime.

I did several of the places in the video and Idaho is beyond amazing.
                            T-4 on the video; it’s on the watch list. Have been watching some fellas fishing steel heads (addicted fishing YouTube channel) in Michigan and Oregon… this will be on the bucket list as well. Thanks for the info

Give that channel a peak if you have ever considered getting after some steel head.
                            Last edited by Pedernal; 01-13-2022, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
                              Some one else on TBH has mentioned this type of rod. I believe it might have come up on an elk trip fishing advise request post. I remember researching it before I went up to Colorado. Going to keep trying the fly fishing gear but think this would be great for those extremely wooded streams/creeks. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                              X