X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bowhunting Iowa ?s

Alright,
    Im starting to plan for 2024.
    There is a group of us who plan on going up in 2024 as we should have enough points that year.
    What part of the state shall we look? Any good outfitters?
    Im not opposed to leasing my own place either but outfitters typically have more ground and can move around if needed.

We want nice accommodations, friendly/knowledgeable guides/etc.
    I know everyone wants the "big" deer but we truly do. None of us will spend that kind of money and shoot a 140. We will all be looking for 160" plus deer.

When should we start talking with outfitters?

Any other help is appreciated.

If you haven't already started talking with outfitters you should now! The good ones book up several years in advance. My buddy and I both went Nov 21 and had a great time. We both shot our biggest bucks to date(They were each in the 150's). I have hunted for years all over Kansas, once in Missouri, and now once in Iowa Zone 5. I have come to realize a 160"+ deer with 5-7 days to hunt with a bow calls for some good luck on your side.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
      If you haven't already started talking with outfitters you should now! The good ones book up several years in advance. My buddy and I both went Nov 21 and had a great time. We both shot our biggest bucks to date(They were each in the 150's). I have hunted for years all over Kansas, once in Missouri, and now once in Iowa Zone 5. I have come to realize a 160"+ deer with 5-7 days to hunt with a bow calls for some good luck on your side.
      Would you mind sharing the outfitter you used? I plan on heading to Iowa about the same time as the OP. Trying to figure out if I should hunt public, lease private, or go with an outfitter...

Comment

Im leaning twd outfitter on my end bc of only being able to draw every few years.
        Thanks Justin for that info.

Any recommendations on outfitters?

Comment

following for same...

Comment

I can tell y’all who not to use. Tails of the Hunt, owner Aaron Volkmar. If he’s still in business he’s a con man.
            Attached Files

Comment

In search of a double digit bass

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
              Im leaning twd outfitter on my end bc of only being able to draw every few years.
              Thanks Justin for that info.

Any recommendations on outfitters?
              I would definitely go with an outfitter.

Although leasing is becoming "a thing" here in Iowa it would be difficult to find a place that would accommodate a group. Most farms are small tracts. You might have to try and find several farms which would entail a lot of research and leg work. An outfitter has already done that for you.

Like anywhere else there is good ground with decent deer numbers and there is ground where you would be lucky to see a deer in a week. Both types of ground are getting leased.... mainly by resident hunters.

Like Justin mentioned above it will take some luck to kill a 150+ in 5-7 days. I live in this creek bottom with these deer 24/7/365. I run cameras all year. I started feeding protein and alfalfa again Tuesday (our deer season ended Monday). I drive around a lot in the evenings glassing ag fields. I see tons of deer, but very few 150+ deer. The big bucks here are just as hard to find and hard to kill as anywhere else.

With that being said the hunting is awesome. The buck doe ratio is good (at least in my area). There is little to no hunting pressure during archery season. The bucks react to rattling, grunting, and decoys like textbook. You will have a great time.

If I can help you with any information let me know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Arrowsmith; 01-14-2022, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Mike, do you recommend a gun hunt for a mature deer over the rut-archery hunt?

Comment

Southwest Iowa Outfitters with Cole Winther. Shot a 185 bow buck in 2017. Still applying for second hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                    Mike, do you recommend a gun hunt for a mature deer over the rut-archery hunt?
                    The first firearms (Shotgun 1) can be good. A lot of good bucks are killed. There are still some post rut bucks looking for does in estrous. Its definitely an advantage to have a 250 to 300 yard rifle in your hands.

I like November 7th to 27th give or take a day or two. I have killed bucks on November 8th, 9th, 11th and 18th. Over the past two seasons my cameras and visual sightings of mature bucks have been best from November 13th to November 22nd.

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 01-14-2022, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                      Southwest Iowa Outfitters with Cole Winther. Shot a 185 bow buck in 2017. Still applying for second hunt.
                      You have 4 points in your pocket? You should be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X