Timed protein vs free Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted to see what y’all opinions are on timed vs free choice protein feeders? What do the deer gain from a timed protein feeder versus a free choice gravity feeder?

They both have pros and cons, for years we pondered they same question....which is better? Now we have both, free choice and timed so we don’t worry about it as much.

I personally feel the timed feeders help deliver protein to the targeted species (bucks) more efficiently. This is based off of game cam pic observations. Also, the timed feeders provide consistent feeding (more predictable time to empty). Our free choice feeders will be empty at random times based on consumption, but our timed feeders will need refilling based on our feed rate.

Good luck sir!

Comment

A doe needs protein too.

The only real benefit I’ve seen with a timed feeder is being able to budget your wallet by rationing how much the deer eat.

Free choice/gravity fed protein will always be a better option for the deer.
      Last edited by AntlerCollector; 01-07-2022, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Timed means your not feeding non targets coons, porcupines, Pigs. Saves money, just put some effort into a timed feeding to see if the deer eat it all. Then bump ot up a second or two. When feeds left cut it back

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have free choice gravity feeders but will be getting timed feeders this year. Free choice allows your deer to feed after dark and become nocturnal. I stopped feeding protein this past season in October for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by tx.biologist View Post
            Timed means your not feeding non targets coons, porcupines, Pigs. Saves money, just put some effort into a timed feeding to see if the deer eat it all. Then bump ot up a second or two. When feeds left cut it back

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Timed feeders don’t prevent non target animals from eating it. Sure it can “help” simply by only feeding enough for animals to eat it up in the daylight hours.

OP if non target animals like raccoons are the issue then I highly recommend adding Coonhood’s to your gravity feeders.

Comment

We feed exclusively free choice so the deer can eat what they want, when they want. It gets expensive pretty dang quick though! This year has been insane with consumption rates and uptick in price. Been hard to keep up. We just stick with the model of feed what we can afford and keep throwing it at them.

Comment

$$$

Comment

if you are feeding free choice in my area you have to also contend with axis and audad and both are more aggressive than wt. axis also run in herds of 30 or more and can clean out 1200#in a few hours. timed you can tailor it to when the wt are most likely to come in.

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCat View Post
                    $$$
                    This right here. I put out 2 tons a month starting in February ending in September . I put a sign on my free choice feeders. Do not make a pig of yourselves I will be back in 30 days. There Democrat's

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Timed protein gives the mature deer the need to come out in the daylight to get shot if they want some added nutrients. It keeps the deer on my schedule, not theirs. I’ve heard two South Texas ranch managers say, there is not a better tool to pull normally nocturnal mature deer, out in the daylight hours. They are a nice add to not only supplement the deer’s feed in the off-season but improve your hunting during the actual season.

Never would I suggest it would be better than free choice for overall growth if a person could keep his feeders full 24-7 and had unlimited funds to do so…. But it does keep it more consistently available to deer for those that live 5-6 hours away on a more limited budget and can’t get up there to fill every 3-4 weeks.

The other added benefit is that the only amount lost to coons is any left over in the tray that evening…. If there is any left, the deer didn’t want it (and it happens in the green spring and acorn filled fall). No free choice for varmints equals less waste and less $$
                      Last edited by Smart; 01-07-2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        Timed protein gives the mature deer the need to come out in the daylight to get shot if they want some added nutrients. Timed protein keep the deer on my schedule, not theirs. I’ve heard two South Texas ranch managers say, there is not a better tool to pull normally nocturnal mature deer, out in the daylight hours. They are a nice add to not only supplement the deer’s feed in the off-season but improve your hunting during season.

Never would I suggest it would be better than free choice for overall growth if a person could keep his feeders full 24-7 and had unlimited funds to do so…. But it does keep it more consistently available to deer for those that live 5-6 hours away on a more limited budget and can’t get up there to fill every 3-4 weeks.

The other added benefit is that the only amount lost to coons is any left over in the tray that evening…. If there is any left, the deer didn’t want it (and it happens in the green spring and acorn filled fall). No free choice for varmints equals less waste and less $$
                        There you go, Jason and I seem to have the same mind set on this subject.

Rwc

Comment

I've been trying to figure out a system to do a timed protein feeder that's gravity fed, trap door that only is open during daylight hours. I feel it would help to 'influence' the deer to feed during the day, keep out nighttime guests and be a little easier on the wallet. But there aren't many options out there.

Comment

This! We keep ours going 365 and change to more corn mix during fall. Bow season I have them go off a few minutes apart as I can grab my bow when the protein goes off. I watched deer all season come in 10-15 min earlier and just wait for protein to go off. They get on that schedule and know it’ll be there. Bucks now travel between mine and another lease members timed feeder every day. Keep it consistent and keep it going they will come.

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Timed protein gives the mature deer the need to come out in the daylight to get shot if they want some added nutrients. Timed protein keep the deer on my schedule, not theirs. I’ve heard two South Texas ranch managers say, there is not a better tool to pull normally nocturnal mature deer, out in the daylight hours. They are a nice add to not only supplement the deer’s feed in the off-season but improve your hunting during season.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              A doe needs protein too.

The only real benefit I’ve seen with a timed feeder is being able to budget your wallet by rationing how much the deer eat.

Free choice/gravity fed protein will always be a better option for the deer.
                              I agree with this. You really need to let them eat all they want, but that takes big $$ depending on the size of your ranch and deer herd.

Comment

Working...
                              X