Question for all you Dodge/Ram guys…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting ready to order a truck. Here’s my dilemma. Trying to choose between a 1500 with the 3.0L diesel or a 3/4 ton Cummins. Money not really deciding factor. I drive 90 miles a day 6 days a week for work. So the 1500 would best fit that (27-28 mpg Highway), but if I bought a Cummins, I’d have an extra vehicle to tow my 10k# bumper pull camper. Wife has a 21 Laramie with the Cummins but doesn’t want the dogs in the truck with her so we take 2 vehicles when camping. Normally I pull our pontoon with our older truck, but she said if I bought another Cummins and didn’t have the boat, we could just take one vehicle.

So, Highway mileage is better with the half ton, but towing maxes at like 9500# with the 3.0, vs 14k with the Cummins, but only 20 mpg stock setup if I’m lucky. It will NOT be my daily driver for now (2015 Honda Civic), but will be possibly in the next year. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the .75 ton cummins. That Italian made 3.0 ain't all its cracked up to be. Made for commuting not working.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
      Get the .75 ton cummins. That Italian made 3.0 ain't all its cracked up to be. Made for commuting not working.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Thanks. That’s why I feel the 3.0 wouldn’t be a bad fit for me. I drive 500+ miles a week for work, so that works for it. But, can’t really tow too much if needed other than my pontoon. Had the 3.0 in my wrangler i just sold. I had no problems out of it. But yes, no work horse for sure.

Comment

I'd get the 2500 (even with the 6.4 Hemi) for no other reason than I'm no fan of doing any serious towing with a half ton. I don't think the half ton tow ratings are what they're cracked up to be, and it's no fun when the tail wags the dog.

"But, but, but... my EcoBoost can tow 12k lbs! Sure. Sure. Let me know how that works out for you...

IMHO. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
          I'd get the 2500 (even with the 6.4 Hemi) for no other reason than I'm no fan of doing any serious towing with a half ton. I don't think the half ton tow ratings are what they're cracked up to be, and it's no fun when the tail wags the dog.

"But, but, but... my EcoBoost can tow 12k lbs! Sure. Sure. Let me know how that works out for you...

IMHO. YMMV.

Another vote for the 3/4 ton

Comment

2500 cummins here also, only way to go

Comment

Put the dogs in the camper and buy the half ton.

Comment

No reason to limit yourself to the smaller truck.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                  Put the dogs in the camper and buy the half ton.

Can’t do that. Slide outs take up too much room. No spare square footage at all.

Last edited by robbyreneeward; 12-04-2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I bought a used 3/4 ton Cummins as an extra truck to tow with. I drive 90 miles a day round trip to the office. My other truck is an F150 3.5 eco. At first I was driving each 50% of the time. Now I drive the Cummins 95% of the time. I just like it better. When I sell the Ford I will get a new 3/4 ton Cummins.

Comment

I have a new 1500 with the 3.0. I love the truck so far for my needs. In your situation I would go with the 3/4 ton.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
                        Can’t do that. Slide outs take up too much room. No spare square footage at all.

So you can access anywhere in your camper with the slides in? Surely there’s more square footage in the camper than in the cab of a pickup.

Based on your towing needs you should get the 2500 IMO. Why are you planning to get rid of the Civic commuter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          So you can access anywhere in your camper with the slides in? Surely there’s more square footage in the camper than in the cab of a pickup.

Based on your towing needs you should get the 2500 IMO. Why are you planning to get rid of the Civic commuter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Only place to access when slides are in is the bathroom. Not planning on getting rid of the civic. Just getting another truck. Have a promotion coming in the next 14-16 months and am wanting something more comfy to drive. I’ll be driving more then than I am now.

Comment

3/4 with Cummins, very simple.

Comment

If you are gonna use that 3/4 ton as a in-town daily driver make sure you delete it. I learned this lesson the hard way. I have a 2015 with 120,000 miles on it and people had been telling me to delete it for years. I have been watching the EPA crack down on shops for years so I wanted to avoid the hassle at all costs but turns out it's "costing a lot". At first I would only drive out to location 400 to 1,500 miles depending on where I was drilling, and then it would sit for weeks at a time.... then I turned it into a daily driver but down into Houston and sitting in loads of crazy traffic.... about 90-95 miles each day. Long story short in the past six months I have replaced the Def fuel line, had the tank cleaned and burned out and I just replaced my turbo unit. Other than that the truck has been fantastic, good ride, loads of power, and Dodge makes a quality product.

Comment

Working...
                              X