Clear All

Congrats firemedic. Nice shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Firemedic635 View Post

Finished the year off strong this evening at Whitney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Good shot!

Comment

That wind this morning was enough to almost freeze the edge of the bank. Ice crystals did accumulate on some of my deeqes close to the bank. Also on some dead plant life near the water's edge in the more open areas accumulated some ice crystals. But it wasn't bad at all sitting in the boat with hot coffee and a propane catalytic heater. I even wore my uninsulated hippers . But I did seriously think about my 5mm neoprene chest waders before I left the house . I didn't take those because the area I hunted was very shallow. And those chest waders are heavy to do that much tromping around in. The hippers are pretty lightweight. The heavyweight chest waders are pretty good when I'll be in waist high water though. And freezing temps. The water adds a good bit of buoyancy.

The water surface temp was 48 degrees at 2PM today, in the deeper water.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          That wind this morning was enough to almost freeze the edge of the bank. Ice crystals did accumulate on some of my deeqes close to the bank. Also on some dead plant life near the water's edge in the more open areas accumulated some ice crystals. But it wasn't bad at all sitting in the boat with hot coffee and a propane catalytic heater. I even wore my uninsulated hippers . But I did seriously think about my 5mm neoprene chest waders before I left the house . I didn't take those because the area I hunted was very shallow. And those chest waders are heavy to do that much tromping around in. The hippers are pretty lightweight. The heavyweight chest waders are pretty good when I'll be in waist high water though. And freezing temps. The water adds a good bit of buoyancy.

The water surface temp was 48 degrees at 2PM today, in the deeper water.
          Any birds cooperate?

Comment

There were a few. But it was pretty slow. Looked for some fish for about an hour afterwards. But no findy. Got home and boat parked at 5:30. Still, better than sitting at home because of the wind like Saturday had. I wanted to go this morning. But I was just to worn out this morning. And have a Doctor's appointment at 2 today. I'll find something else worthy of my time this morning.

Got my daily goal of steps in of 6200 just putting out deeques and picking them up.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
            Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-17-2022, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Glad you were able to get after them. Saw birds on all tanks during the wind. I suspect they moved on.

Comment

I did see the biggest group of common mergansers that I had ever seen. There were 20-25 of them. They set down on the outside of my spread. And really put on a show. They turned around and started diving and swimming really fast, all in unison. If one got behind a little, it would swim up ahead and catch up to the group. They swam about 100 yards down wind, looped around, and came back. They reminded me of waterturkeys. Only they had a much more coordinating effort on diving at the same time. And surfacing at the same time. All in unison. The swimming was really quick. Looked like a bunch of otters or Dolphins up and down.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-18-2022, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Coordinated fishing? Kinda like tuna.

Comment

Speaking of fishing, JD, two more weekends of duck season. And then fishing season starts for my boat. You gonna to run the water? I'm looking forward to try-n out my new deck for fishing. It has worked great for duck-n. Cause all my deeques fit under it. With 4 hatch holes, it's easy to load them in there. And they are not get-n stepped on or in the way. Also makes it somewhat easier to get in and out of the bow.
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-19-2022, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I'm ready for some fishing myself. Also if anyone needs hogs killed at there spots during the off season lemme know. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
                        I'm ready for some fishing myself. Also if anyone needs hogs killed at there spots during the off season lemme know. Haha
                        I'm doing the same Justin! Maybe we can meet up sometime? lol... Still seeing a lot of hogs!

Comment

I may try to fish. Doesn't look like I'll get to duck hunt again.

I released most of my clients and am just doing a few so I'll have more time.

We're seriously considering moving to AZ or NM, the public hunting is just too tempting.

If we moved to AZ I'm gonna miss duck hunting. But there's lots of quail and you don't need a dog. If you live at higher elevations the summers aren't that bad. It gets hot but cools down quick. When we decide I'll probably sell both boats and just keep a kayak if its AZ. NM has a few lakes you can duck hunt.

Good to hear the boat is working out. I feel the sand bass run starting to tug and those crappie keep calling my name and waking me up at night...although, that may be because I didn't take my meds...

Comment

I hunt more at Whitney then fish but do they ever catch good quality bass, I’m talking 6 pounds or more?

Comment

I don't know about bass as I don't fish for them. I fish for about everything else though.. I do know the smallmouth have been making a slow comeback. There are fish over 6 lbs in there. Just look up the tournament reports.

Comment

It's been awhile since I have posted but I'm at Whitney just looking around the area I hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X