2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
    What was everyone's load/shell of choice this year?

Boss 3 inch #5s out of my 20 gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like Federal speed shoks or kents. 3" 1 1/4oz #2. Bought some in the pre covid days and managed to scrape up a case of each before it all disappeared. Actually tried the cheap monarchs from academy and for close in stuff they worked, but I wasn't impressed overall.

Comment

What a mess it has been finding shells. I tell you a load I started shooting this year is the Heavy Metal (3inch #6 shot). Its part steel and part bismuth if I am not mistaken. It's been great on ducks.

Comment

Had a good hunt Saturday morning and slept in on Sunday. Looking forward to this weekend. Might be heading up to Palestine to shoot some Trinity River mallards and woodies!

The new pup Hank has retrieved roughly 40 birds in the 4 hunts he has been on. He's definitely off to a good start! He'll get dropped off at the trainer for a couple of months after duck season closes. Excited to see his progress.
          Attached Files

Comment

Depends on what gun I'm shooting.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I've got kind of an odd ask.

Does anyone know of a guide/outfitter/marsh area/lake that has or regularly kills fulvous ducks? I realize they're not a high profile or prized species, but I'm trying to cross them off my list here in Texas. I've only seen them a few times, but not with any consistency or in any huntable numbers anywhere I usually hunt. I'm open for paying a guide, paying someone, working something out, etc., I just want to shoot some. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post

Does anyone know of a guide/outfitter/marsh area/lake that has or regularly kills fulvous ducks? I realize they're not a high profile or prized species, but I'm trying to cross them off my list here in Texas. I've only seen them a few times, but not with any consistency or in any huntable numbers anywhere I usually hunt. I'm open for paying a guide, paying someone, working something out, etc., I just want to shoot some. Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

I killed one in the marsh close to Matagorda a few years ago. I think south Texas is probably your best shot, or Mexico. Tell Jason to take you to the lease, we probably got one somewhere.

Comment

Been crushing them the last couple hunts very cool looking birds with the brown black they have

Comment

Got a limit this morning. Killed every duck that got in range & it still took till 10;30. Great morning to enjoy the outdoors! Sure is quiet across the prairie though. Very little shooting & by that I mean maybe 30 shots.

Comment

For 410, 28 & 16 ga, Boss bismuth.
                      12 ga is 3 in #2 @ 1450 FPS, Kent & Migra.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                        For 410, 28 & 16 ga, Boss bismuth.
                        12 ga is 3 in #2 @ 1450 FPS, Kent & Migra.
                        How do you like the Migra? You shooting the steel or a mix?

Comment

Originally posted by js4242 View Post
                          How do you like the Migra? You shooting the steel or a mix?
                          I bought a flat of 2/4 steel mix just in case shells stayed hard to find. I don't believe in the gimmicky mixes etc. Just wanted shells if needed & I hate experts or cheap shells. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it patterns & it does work great on birds.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                            I killed one in the marsh close to Matagorda a few years ago. I think south Texas is probably your best shot, or Mexico. Tell Jason to take you to the lease, we probably got one somewhere.
                            I think he's trying to put something together, so we'll see. We'd have a good time either way. He wouldn't know the difference between a fulvous, king eider, or the AFLAC duck though

Comment

Congrats on the birds Dave!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

We are covered up black belly's and have a pretty good number of fulvous, especially in the early season. They don't really decoy very well, just kinda bounce around in the fields/reservoirs we have. We used to have a whole lot more, where you could shoot a 10 man limit no problem. Now early season if you want to shoot them you could probably kill 6-10 if you get in the right area holding a few groups with a few guys. If you find yourself over in the Beaumont/Winnie are next year, shoot me a message and we'll try to work something out.

Comment

Working...
                                X