.308 SPS Tactical Bolt issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.308 SPS Tactical Bolt issues

All, any insight or thoughts would be much appreciated.

I have a .308 SPS tactical that I bought 8 or 9 years ago. I bought as a gun I wouldn’t mine banging around a bit and it eventually became one of my favorite guns. I found early on that it likes the Hornady AMAX 168 Match. Every round through it minus 1/2 a box has been that round. With that being said probably talking 1 box a season so call it 200 rounds in high side through it.

Fast forward to this season. MLD doe hunts in October, I noticed the bolt was rather hard to open and also it spit 2 back to back primers. I chalked this up to bad box of the 168 matches. Put gun up and next trip brought another box of the match and 2 shots in on range same tightness.

I attached picture of 3 casings. All have a mark on them I tried to position about 12:” o’clock. Any thoughts on what this may be?

Is there something I can DIY fix?
    Does primer impact from pin look deeper than normal?

Thank you in advance,

Leddy
    Attached Files

When was the last time it had a good cleaning and lube?…could that be a possibility

Comment

That’s pressure signs. Significant pressure signs.

Headspace issue(doubt it)

Ammo out of spec.

Bad carbon ring can cause that.

Blowing primers all of the sudden is a sure sign to stop and get that fixed asap.

Comment

To elaborate, the primers are cratered. This happens when excess pressure causes them to “flow” around the firing pin and into the firing pin hole. Much more and it’ll pierce the primer itself.

The mark on the case head is an ejector mark. Again from excess pressure.

Comment

Yea that’s some salty ammo. With those pressure signs I would not be shooting those

Comment

When was the last time it had a good cleaning and lube?…could that be a possibility

Comment

Especially cleaning the chamber. Any tightness with the bolt when putting the round in the chamber?

Comment

Newish Remington's are notorious for having huge hole around the firing pin, so I wouldn't be too concerned with that. But the extractor swipes indicate a pressure issue. Give it a good cleaning and get all of the copper out of the barrel and see what happens.

Comment

Definitely cratered primers.

Clean the bore and chamber thoroughly

Buy new ammo

Comment

Working...
                  X