2021-2022 Duck Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    According to this PhD....its not weather related in the least bit. It's all related to the 1998 USFWS baiting rule that allowed the flooding of unharvested crops. Millions of acres of flooded crops/habitat in the midwest between both private land and refuges.

He has data to back it up. Two great videos explaining it.

Where are the Ducks? Part 1 - YouTube

Where are the Ducks? Part 2 - YouTube
    Just finished watching both videos.

Seems like a pretty dang good argument and cause for what is being seen.

The duck numbers/migration patterns vs federal spending by state is pretty eye opening

Comment

“ While the mallard numbers top December estimates and the 2020-21 midwinter count, the estimate is the fourth lowest midwinter estimate since formal surveys began in the 2009-10 wintering period and about 200,000 fewer than the 2010-2022 long-term midwinter survey average of about 810,000 mallards. The total duck population estimate was also slightly less than the long-term overage of about 1.2 million total ducks. Mallards accounted for the highest proportion (64 percent) of all ducks since 2018 (85 percent). From 2010-2022, mallards accounted for an average of 67 percent of all ducks during the midwinter survey, putting this year's proportion close to average.”

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
        I wouldn’t be upset if they shortened the season and dropped limits back.

We have had pretty good seasons lately, but they certainly could be better. I’m lucky to have some good spots where we can hunt traffic if need be and always work groups. Pressure is a big deal up here, but I think it has gotten a smidge better last couple of years. It has certainly influenced where I hunt.

Looking back, I grew up spoiled when it came to duck hunting. I had access to some good woods and scorned field hunting unless it was a REALLY good field. Ducks don’t use the woods here like they used to (most of the time, at least) except for on large, well managed areas. That used to include our state owned WMAs until the pressure got them. A lot of that pressure was/is from out of state, which really chapped a lot of guys, here.

Luckily AGFC has changed things up to limit pressure somewhat on the WMAs in the last couple years. Non-residents have to choose a WMA and are permitted for a certain set of days. That way when some kid posts an Instagram worthy strap of mallards on such and such WMA, the parking lot isn’t (completely) full of SC, GA, AL, and TX tags the next morning at 3am with mudmotors and face paint.

There’s still a ton of nonresident leasing, and I’m ok with that, but I really wish they’d limit hunting to before noon only, like public ground. Guys come here, see a bunch of ducks flying, get excited and then fork big cash for gar hole bean fields that you might scratch a few teal and boot lips in on a good day. They hunt the crap out of them and it limits resting.

There’s also no doubt that ducks are concentrated like never before by big clubs/farms that manage habitat for them. Again, I don’t hate this because it holds birds. A friend of mine berms up corn right next to his reservoir and pumps it (deeper pockets than mine) and it’s incredible to watch in the evenings. There’s never a shot fired over that field, but his woods are always FIRE because of it.

We are in desperate need of a few good nesting years!!! We had a dry early season, but water levels are great now and still not great numbers. A lot of that is weather (temp) related, too, but numbers are clearly down.

We worked 4 or 5 good sized groups the other day in a perfect hole and couldn’t get anything other than 1s and 2s to finish. No young dummies to break the top of the trees and pull groups down.
        AGFC is getting their butts handed to them by the big private clubs and other states for duck habitat. In their defense the previous AGFC people should have been handling things different so now the guys in their are having to try to fix the mistakes. You also have people in other states that have figured out how to grow duck habitat. If you have instagram look up The Duck Farmer(Shane Olson), hes made a career of doing this on private property.

The OOSER law is completely bogus in my opinion. I have zero problems with them limiting the days I can be on state wmas but for them to limit me to certain days is stupid. Give me 15 days of my choice to be able to hunt with friends I have in Arkansas and I will be fine. I also agree hunting would be much better if you have to be done by noon except for dry field speck hunts.

Comment

14 this morning in 21 degree weather and 28mph NW wind! Got set up 20 minutes late but still happy with the morning. Picking decoys up was fun. 1/4” sheet of ice on them all!

Comment

We are sitting at 5 so far. Pintails and mottle’s.

Had a massive group of 300-400 pintails gave us a 5-10 min show
            Last edited by 150class; 01-15-2022, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Killed a two man this morning!

Wind picked up so much we couldn’t get back across in the ole poverty package kayaks. Had to wave a fellow duck hunter down and hitch a ride in his boat!

Wind was absolutely brutal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Fun shoot with my brother this am. Same spot, same ducks that didn’t want to play last weekend. Ended up being a gentlemen’s hunt with just a slow trickle of pairs. Took turns shooting until we were done. It was perfect.

Comment

Lots of pintails this morning. Incredible flight of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great to see fellers!

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Only finished with 6 between 5 of us. Lots of birds didn’t like the set up.

Headed back in the AM to the same field but setting up in a different spot and making some changes that I think will make a solid difference even with it being back to back days.

Comment

Little girl got herself a wall hanger Blue Wing this morning.
                        [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Dang! Some stud ducks on the straps this morning! Wood duck, pintail, blue bill.... Nice.

Our shoot wasn't great, but by this year's standard it was awesome. Saw more pintail than I've seen in a long time. Lots of ringneck. Not much of anything else though. I killed a nice gadwall at about 65 yards with my 20ga. That was cool. Zach killed a pintail at probably 75 yards and high. Probably the best shot on a duck I've ever seen. Stoned him. He killed a stud redhead too.

His pup did well. She's about 9 months old. Gonna be a heck of a dog. She had a little ice in her hair for a while this morning. 25-35mph north wind was SHARP.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Shane; 01-15-2022, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Looks like things picked up for a few folks this morning. Congrats to all!

I did see birds today on the few tanks that I don't see them on unless there's a big front to push them. I'm wondering what tomorrow morning, and Monday morning, will be like with the dying winds. Guess I better go find out. Already got the boat hooked and ready to roll.
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-15-2022, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Congrats everyone! Great hunts & pics.

We ended up with 9 today for me & my son.

Comment

Congrats on the birds Dave! That beats a one-r!

Comment

Working...
                                X