Rod Jenkins Clinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rod Jenkins Clinic

I don’t know how to post the flyer but there will be a Rod Jenkins Clinic at Sportsman’s Finest . It’s located in Bee Caves and I spoke with Josh to sign up.
    Josh@sportmansfinest.com

Can you share the date?

Comment

March 26/27. Unfortunately same weekend as recurve championship. Contact Josh 512-263-1888.
      Last edited by chuckc.; 01-11-2022, 03:37 PM.

Comment

The money it cost me to attend a Rod Jenkins clinic is the best money I have ever spent on archery!!!!!

I would go again except we are going to be visiting my son that weekend.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          The money it cost me to attend a Rod Jenkins clinic is the best money I have ever spent on archery!!!!!

I would go again except we are going to be visiting my son that weekend.

Bisch

That tells me a lot about the quality of the clinic. I called, and they only have 4 spots left. Daniel and I were planning on making the Recurve Championship, but I don’t know if I can pass up this clinic. I’ve been waiting for a clinic opportunity with him or Tom Clum, and this seems like a great opportunity.

Comment

I too hate to miss the recurve championship. I have been trying to get into one of these clinics for quite some time. All of the Cowtown shoots are great but I guess I’m gonna miss this one. I’ll break about even on the money. My son lives just outside of Dripping so no motel for two nights. Much less gas and no entry fees to shoot four or five rounds.
            Last edited by chuckc.; 01-11-2022, 04:56 PM.

Comment

So what does a clinic do for you? Do you have to change your shooting style or change your anchor point or whatever to be successful in it?
              Because for me that kind of coin would need to help me. Not just tell me my process is not his and I have to change everything in a weekend to be successful.
              I've heard people make statements like Bisch did.
              But what kind of goals does one need to have to go drop that kind of money? Wanna be nationally ranked or state champion or what?
              I mean if you are competitive oriented and want to be in that kind of mix maybe it might be worth it.
              But if you just hunt some, shoot some 3D for fun and fairly successful in those I wonder how it would help the average person. Just like your average chemistry class you take in high school or as a requirement basic in college. Most people won't ever run a titration or centrifuge or separation/ distillation again in their lives. Makes you wonder why you spent the money and semester on it.
              I dunno.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s the flyer!

Comment

Rod Jenkins Clinic

For me, it was to learn how to better harness back tension. Rod is big on back tension. Rod did suggest a couple changes in the way I anchor and grip the bow. I tried to change them and didn’t like the result, so went back to doing it the way that was comfortable to me. But when I finally figured out the back tension thing, my DL grew over an inch, and I started to shoot better than I ever had in my life before that clinic.

A person will not get instant improvement, and will not shoot lights out the Monday after the clinic. It took me months of work after the clinic to finally have it all click.

But, I will stick to my original statement above: The money I spent on that clinic was the best money I have ever spent on archery!!!!!

My own outlook on shooting Trad bows is that there is no right or wrong; there is only consistent and inconsistent. Any particular guy (or gal) needs to find a way that they can be more consistent. The more consistent a person gets, the “better” they will be, and the results will show up in more and greater success.

Bisch

Last edited by Bisch; 01-11-2022, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I can't answer for anyone else, but here's how I view the clinics/seminars/coaching sessions I've taken with my compound. Goal wise, I wanted to be able to shoot as efficiently as possible from a biomechanical standpoint, develop the mental ability to shoot better under pressure, increase my scores, and increase my odds of making a quick, ethical shot on a living animal. Not every goal was addressed during every clinic/coaching session but gaining the knowledge to be able to shoot better and more comfortably was worth it, to me. I have shoulder, hip, and spinal injuries that come into play, and it took someone with more experience than I had to make minute adjustments to form to bring about pain-free shooting. Competition wise, I wasn't shooting poorly before more advanced training, and was consistently in the top 3, state wise, in 3d. After coaching, I had SOY and state champion wins in ASA and NFAA, and was ranked 11th nationally, in my division before switching to trad. I know competition isn't everyone's thing, but I enjoy it and feel like it has made me a better hunter, which was my end goal.

As much as I loved shooting compounds, I am absolutely eaten up with shooting traditional, and work toward being the best shooter I can be. I have kids and time (and money!) can be hard to come by, but my husband and I would rather go somewhere and shoot our bows than go on a "normal" vacation. Our future goals include shooting a few IBO Traditional tournaments this year, and more IBO in upcoming years. Daniel doesn't necessarily have national ranking in mind, but I do.

One thing I've observed from the coaching I've had, is it isn't so much a "do this exactly the way I do it because it's my style" but more a working with solid form basics, modified to work with your own physical makeup. I've never had to change everything to be more successful. There are coaches out there who work that way, but I try to do my research beforehand, and have luckily avoided them. Just as an example, I was lucky enough to meet Shana Sattler (Skunklady on TBH) and Levy Bryant at the Chester shoot in 2021. Shana has been on the IBO podium many times, and Levy is the IBO Traditional director. Shana offered to watch me shoot, and to give advice if she saw something I might do differently. A quick, 15 minute session with her and Levy opened my eyes to a way of shooting I had never understood on my own. I'd won my classes prior to the help, and wasn't horrible, but after working with them, going home and committing to trying what they showed me, I saw a 50 point increase in my 3D average after just 3 weeks. I don't consider myself to be anything special, but if a 15 minute session can help an average person that much, I would willingly invest in quality help. Boosting my self-confidence and shooting ability is a win, in my book.

Sorry to jump on a soapbox, lol. I guess, in a nutshell, a clinic with a good coach, be it shooting a bow, rifle, riding a horse, playing ball... gives you the foundation for a solid process to improve whatever it is you are doing, or tweaks in form to allow you to do it more efficiently and with a higher rate of success.

Comment

That's good information.
                      Back when I was into some of the special shooting (firearms) stuff I took some training that was very specific and very intense. Those actually helped.
                      The last couple I spent time and money on there were 20 or more in the class and the time needed to address specifics for individuals was lost. Unfortunately I haven't attended one in over a decade.
                      For me $350 is less of a loss than the travel and time spent there. But like you I have had shoulders reconstructed, a neck injury and issues and an unconventional anchor point.
                      Unlike you or Bisch I really couldn't care any less about competition.
                      To me the shoots are a fun place to see folks you only normally see here, shoot on a course and at targets I normally don't get to and challenge myself a little.
                      While there are some parts of my form and function that I constantly wonder about I also know that within my fairly limited range I'm capable and deadly for the most part.
                      I'd love to have the experience some describe but I've also heard some folks say it wasn't all that.
                      Of course you can't post that on a forum or you are ridiculed and shouted down by the fan boys. Like saying you had a bad experience at a popular hunting ranch.
                      There is a part of me that wants to try it, but if it is a frustrating experience I would end up walking out and it would be a waste of time and money for me.
                      Call me Thomas.[emoji16]

Comment

Rod Jenkins Clinic

Different folks have different wants and needs. I went to Rods clinic with a specific need/goal, and although it took a good while after the clinic for it to happen, that need/goal was met. I was very sayid with the end result. But that was just me. Someone else may have a completely different experience. Everyone that I know that has been to one of Rods clinics, and every personal review of his clinic that I have read online have all been positive.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks! Will check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            That's good information.
                            Back when I was into some of the special shooting (firearms) stuff I took some training that was very specific and very intense. Those actually helped.
                            The last couple I spent time and money on there were 20 or more in the class and the time needed to address specifics for individuals was lost. Unfortunately I haven't attended one in over a decade.
                            For me $350 is less of a loss than the travel and time spent there. But like you I have had shoulders reconstructed, a neck injury and issues and an unconventional anchor point.
                            Unlike you or Bisch I really couldn't care any less about competition.
                            To me the shoots are a fun place to see folks you only normally see here, shoot on a course and at targets I normally don't get to and challenge myself a little.
                            While there are some parts of my form and function that I constantly wonder about I also know that within my fairly limited range I'm capable and deadly for the most part.
                            I'd love to have the experience some describe but I've also heard some folks say it wasn't all that.
                            Of course you can't post that on a forum or you are ridiculed and shouted down by the fan boys. Like saying you had a bad experience at a popular hunting ranch.
                            There is a part of me that wants to try it, but if it is a frustrating experience I would end up walking out and it would be a waste of time and money for me.
                            Call me Thomas.[emoji16]

Well Thomas…
                            Ill pour whiskey for you, watch you shoot, and critique the heck out of your form for half of what this Rob guy would charge you.

Enjoy the clinic Chuck. Good push for honing form.

Comment

Only trouble with the whiskey is it "relaxes" my form.[emoji6]
                              I sent a message. What I would like is to be able to adapt my form and anchor to allow for a real aiming system. I've been unsuccessful trying to do that on my own.

Comment

Working...
                              X