Hog Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Prices

My son is looking to make a little money with hunting season coming to an end (15, realizing daddy is NOT just handing over keys to a truck). We have hogs, we have a State registered buyer about 8 miles down the road, and we are already at this property on a regular basis...is the price for trapping/selling hogs a lucrative career for a young man or just better for filling the freezer? Regardless, sounds more fun than flipping burgers and mowing lawns...

Nope. Not lucrative at all. It should be though.

Comment

Originally posted by TXforever85 View Post
      My son is looking to make a little money with hunting season coming to an end (15, realizing daddy is NOT just handing over keys to a truck). We have hogs, we have a State registered buyer about 8 miles down the road, and we are already at this property on a regular basis...is the price for trapping/selling hogs a lucrative career for a young man or just better for filling the freezer? Regardless, sounds more fun than flipping burgers and mowing lawns...
      Guaranteed paycheck vs hoping a critter runs off in your trap......

Comment

It depends...

Comment

If you have about 8,000 acres you can rotate a trap on
          Maybe.
          When I started trying to thin out hogs on 800 acres on a river bottom in Bryan, they learned quick. It takes them about 4 months to forget

Comment

I’ll kill 150-250 pigs and that requires over 2 pallets of corn and several hundred dollars in traps…. It will never pay for the expense BUT does in equipment damages

It’s a hobby… like coon hunting. There ain’t money in it

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
              If you have about 8,000 acres you can rotate a trap on
              Maybe.
              When I started trying to thin out hogs on 800 acres on a river bottom in Bryan, they learned quick. It takes them about 4 months to forget
              I knew this would be a factor. We're thinking of building "figure 6" or "figure C" corral style traps, hoping to catch a lot of them in a short time, but understand that they will figure things out quick. Are prices/lb not the same across the state? We are north Texas plains region if that helps. Really just want to enjoy some time with the kiddo, while showing him $ means work/reward

Comment

Your not gonna catch big numbers with those traps consistently. Hate design is where it’s at. And Lord knows what a panel cost now. Probably take 10 pigs to pay for a panel and another for a bag of corn

Comment

Don't keep track of how much you spend and it will all be profit.
                  Seriously though, only way I can profit is if the landowner supplies the corn. And it takes a lot of corn.

Comment

Depending where you are selling to a buying station is not worth it. I SELL hogs all week to a buyer in dfw They are currently paying $1-1.20 per pound that is way over any buying station. Cuz out the station and sell directly to who they do get full value.

Comment

^^^ goodness!!!

Comment

By sins did it about 5 or so years ago. They weren’t making much money at the buying stations for all the time and effort out into it.

There’s no way it pays better than just going to work somewhere. You may catch 50-100 of them, but the rest will become trap shy

Comment

Spend more in than you will make

Cheaper to trap and shoot/drag off (does not take as much gas )

Comment

Originally posted by webstertroy View Post
                            Depending where you are selling to a buying station is not worth it. I SELL hogs all week to a buyer in dfw They are currently paying $1-1.20 per pound that is way over any buying station. Cuz out the station and sell directly to who they do get full value.
                            Dang. How many can they take? Any size?
                            Are you selling them dead?

Comment

If possible, take the job and trap after work. Get paid both ways. A tip on not having to spend a ton of money on corn. Sour the corn and when you set trap, dig a hole. They can smell it but, won’t be able to get to it. Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                              X