Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timed protein vs free Choice

Originally posted by Onski69 View Post
    I've been trying to figure out a system to do a timed protein feeder that's gravity fed, trap door that only is open during daylight hours. I feel it would help to 'influence' the deer to feed during the day, keep out nighttime guests and be a little easier on the wallet. But there aren't many options out there.

Already been done. Google The Hammer protein deer feeder. He used to be a member on here.

Comment

Originally posted by smart View Post
      timed protein gives the mature deer the need to come out in the daylight to get shot if they want some added nutrients. it keeps the deer on my schedule, not theirs. I’ve heard two south texas ranch managers say, there is not a better tool to pull normally nocturnal mature deer, out in the daylight hours. They are a nice add to not only supplement the deer’s feed in the off-season but improve your hunting during the actual season.

Never would i suggest it would be better than free choice for overall growth if a person could keep his feeders full 24-7 and had unlimited funds to do so…. But it does keep it more consistently available to deer for those that live 5-6 hours away on a more limited budget and can’t get up there to fill every 3-4 weeks.

The other added benefit is that the only amount lost to coons is any left over in the tray that evening…. If there is any left, the deer didn’t want it (and it happens in the green spring and acorn filled fall). No free choice for varmints equals less waste and less $$
      bam!

Comment

I think here are two different issues being talked about here. I’m not sure anyone can argue that gravity fed/ free choice feeders are not the best (for the deer.). That doesn’t mean they are the best for a deer hunter during hunting season. If you’re wanting to shoot a deer in season at your protein feeder then timed will greatly improve your odds. Most of the guys I know that can’t afford to feed 365 days a year will feed free choice February-September. During the hunting season the deer come to corn and whatever else you put out to hunt them.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Already been done. Google The Hammer protein deer feeder. He used to be a member on here.
          I'm still here Jason and I'll be glad to answer any questions pertaining to our use of the Hammer Feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer63 View Post
            I'm still here Jason and I'll be glad to answer any questions pertaining to our use of the Hammer Feeder.

I need to get with you too this spring. I’m wanting to add the hammer on one of mine

Comment

I do agree free choice is a better option for full on deer growth. If my timed is spinning enough for all the deer to eat what they would like and have a bit left in the feeder each day would that not be close enough to free choice? Without the coons and such dragging out 5lbs a day.

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              I think here are two different issues being talked about here. I’m not sure anyone can argue that gravity fed/ free choice feeders are not the best (for the deer.). That doesn’t mean they are the best for a deer hunter during hunting season. If you’re wanting to shoot a deer in season at your protein feeder then timed will greatly improve your odds. Most of the guys I know that can’t afford to feed 365 days a year will feed free choice February-September. During the hunting season the deer come to corn and whatever else you put out to hunt them.

Comment

Good to hear. When I was posting that, I was thinking I should have said… used to be a more prominent poster here… not “used to be a member here. “. Sorry about that.[emoji41]

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

He asked what the deer gained? I think I answered correctly.

I suggested they gained the need to come out in the daylight and possibly get shot with a timed protein feeder..[emoji41]

And they gain some additional supplemental nutrition from those where the time and $$ keeps folks out of the free choice game
                  Last edited by Smart; 01-07-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    He asked what the deer gained? I think I answered correctly.

I suggested they gained the need to come out in the daylight and possibly get shot with a timed protein feeder..[emoji41]

And they gain some additional supplemental nutrition from those where the time and $$ keeps folks out of the free choice game

LMAO. Not sure that’s a plus for the deer.

Comment

I use the Krivoman feeders with the hammer unit. Opens at daylight & closes at dark. Can't afford to feed coons all night. Works for me & deer come off & on all day eating protein.

Comment

Free choice is best with unlimited time and money. The deer get to eat all they want, when they want and that is the goal. But, most don't have that given travel time to lease, etc.

Timed allows you to spread out the consumption until you get back to fill feeders. We typically make it a rule to go fill feeders every 4 weeks during the offseason. So thru iteration on spin time we set up our timed feeders to have enough for 1 or 2 more feedings when we go down to fill feeders. We have also run free choice at the same time and they were always completely empty for who knows how long. Cameras usually showed at least 2 weeks out of the 4. So my thought is, it is better to give deer 4 (just an analogy, not actual number) bites of protein 30 days a month vs 8 bites of protein 15 days a month with the feeder empty the other 15 days. Again, this is based on time and money and in a perfect world they would get 8 bites a day all 30 days.

If I could fill the feeders every week (from a budget standpoint and time standpoint) I would go free choice and never look back. But the reality is that isn't an option so timed it is...
                        Last edited by cehorn; 01-07-2022, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                          Free choice is best with unlimited time and money. The deer get to eat all they want, when they want and that is the goal. But, most don't have that given travel time to lease, etc.

Timed allows you to spread out the consumption until you get back to fill feeders. We typically make it a rule to go fill feeders every 4 weeks during the offseason. So thru iteration on spin time we set up our timed feeders to have enough for 1 or 2 more feedings when we go down to fill feeders. We have also run free choice at the same time and they were always completely empty for who knows how long. Cameras usually showed at least 2 weeks out of the 4. So my thought is, it is better to give deer 4 (just an analogy, not actual number) bites of protein 30 days a month vs 8 bites of protein 15 days a month with the feeder empty the other 15 days. Again, this is based on time and money and in a perfect world they would get 8 bites a day all 30 days.

If I could fill the feeders every week (from a budget standpoint and time standpoint) I would go free choice and never look back. But the reality is that isn't an option so timed it is...
                          This is the reality that most "free choice" feeders face. Getting to the lease to fill the free choice feeders before they run dry is seldom achieved. A free choice feeder laying empty for 2 out of 4 weeks is "timed feeding" just not on a daily regiment....if you follow me.

Comment

This is the reality that most "free choice" feeders face. Getting to the lease to fill the free choice feeders before they run dry is seldom achieved. A free choice feeder laying empty for 2 out of 4 weeks is "timed feeding" just not on a daily regiment....if you follow me.

I’m following.

Comment

If I was on a ranch that was big enough that we had a decent handle on doe numbers, and our great young bucks didn't jump the fence and get shot, then I would feed year around free choice.. But since we are the total opposite of that we are timed.. The Hammer.. And we are on timed for the exact reasons J Smart layed out..

Oh and I did try free choice once and with the number of deer we have it didn't take me long to realize that it would cost a fortune!! 3,000 lbs gone in a month or so.. Naw..
                              Last edited by PondPopper; 01-07-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I have ten timed protein feeders , we use timed so we can budget. As it is we feed about 7 tons a month plus what we put out by hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X