process your own deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
    I've processed mine for several years now. I will say it's made me a lot "choosier" on what and how many deer I shoot b/c I know I have to deal with it after lol
    Indeed it does, no more shoulder shots for me! I freaking hate working through bloodshot and mangled meat.

Comment

I always thought that it was something that took a lot of skill, time, equipment, etc.

Once I learned how easy it is, I lost the desire to every pay a processor to handle it.

All you need is a sharp knife, a decent size cutting board, and a grinder. A vacuum sealer is nice as well.

Watch a couple of YouTube videos, but basically just cut the meat off the bone.

Youll learn over time how things are connected and where glands are and you'll get better, but you cant really mess it up.

Comment

I agree with everything said above. I started doing it myself because processing can be expensive, and I have seen the condition that some people bring in deer.

Filet Knife is my most important tool once the meat has been de-boned.

I also keep 3 large mixing bowls handy.
        - 1 for trash trimmings (silver skin, tendons, glands etc.)
        - 1 for grind trimmings
        - 1 for chunks to be packaged a cubed stew meat

I make a lot of stir fry type meals (Mongolian beef, beef stroganoff, etc.) with venison, and I have been pre-cutting the strips prior to wrapping in freezer paper or vac-sealing. This makes the cooking process quicker.

Comment

Me & a group of guys have a party and debone, silver skin , then run over to a shop with a commercial grinder with our spices, butcher grinds mixes spice and pork.
          Then we stuff , smoke, dry , vacuum pack.
          I don’t own a meat grinder, as I think it’s worth the price to pay to get it custom ground

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
            I don’t have the time, nor the want to really, to process my own deer. Others can do it way better than I could, so I will gladly pay someone to have good processing and not have to clean up any equipment… lol
            This is me - totally worth it especially after my axis ground was done perfectly. I will cut my own steaks and vacuum though.

Comment

My advice is this. One day I was wishing I had a large cutting board that an entire deer carcass would ft on, and I really liked the big plastic ones. It came to me that they make those already, and they put legs on them. So I went to Sam's and got a white plastic table that measures about 2' X 4' and that has become my $30 processing table. It is full of scratches and scars, but has held up for 20+ years. I've been processing my own animals for all my life. I find it to be very relaxing and rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
                Folding plastic table or two. Here’s the clincher- cut some 1” pvc sleeves to put on the table legs to create a lift kit to put your table at a better height. I’m 6’ and 42-46” is ideal for me. This is big, it will save your back and shoulders from fatigue and soreness.
                Now that’s a simple and great idea. I’ve got a bad back to start with and I just finished cutting up a deer and my back is killing me. I’ll be raising my table up for sure. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                  How do you preserve it? I assume you freeze it in portions, but what do you freeze it in? I was thinking in quart size mason jars. Do you think that would work?
                  Freeze the juice in ice cube trays.

I use a white plastic table with a pvc ‘lift kit’.

Two grey tubs from SAMS.
                  White handled knives from SAMS
                  Big roll of plastic wrap
                  Big roll of freezer paper
                  Tape dispenser from LEM
                  Sharpies to label packages
                  2-3 stainless pans for grind, silver skin and roasts
                  Big bite grinder with foot pedal
                  Cold beer and a TV in the garage

Comment

We started processing our own deers and antelopes when we were still living in Colorado. The local processors would weigh the carcass you would bring in and tell you how many pounds of processed meat you would get back. No real guaranty of the meat finally hitting your freezer being yours. I am way too OCD about the whole process to find that acceptable.
                    Yes, it is time-consuming and tedious.
                    But the satisfaction of having the types of cuts or sausage you desire might be worth it to some.
                    Cleanliness and sharp (Florsheim or Dexter Russell) knives are key. Large Nalgene plastic tubs are also very handy.
                    I would also invest in a decent grinder. Our 20-year old Cabela's Pro grinder made it fairly easy to process (double grind) 70 pounds of sausage a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Any thoughts on this combo from BPS for someone just getting started?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                        I’ve been thinking about doing this too. How do you preserve it? I assume you freeze it in portions, but what do you freeze it in? I was thinking in quart size mason jars. Do you think that would work?
                        I freeze it in quart tupperware containers. If you use glass jars they might crack.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post

IMO I would be disappointed with that , it would be fine for making sausage for a dinner party or running test batches , but not for putting up a deer or two in one day. I would get a stuffing press https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...554BSSS5V.html and have the meat custom ground and diy the rest
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-08-2022, 05:15 PM.

Comment

+1 on the stuffer for making sausage, but for all the other general stuff that kit's probably fine for the price. Most guys will say get a huge grinder, but I've been trying to upgrade my grinder for around 10 years and still can't justify it. I have the smallest LEM that was made at the time and it's gone through Elk, bunch of antelope, and pushing 100 deer by now. Some day it'll die and I'll buy a bigger one but for now I'll enjoy the smaller unit for storage.

Comment

You will want a larger grinder soon. I used a small grinder for 10+ years and it literally took all day to grind the deer from the previous season. A few years ago, I upgraded to 1.5 HP and it made a huge difference and cut our time by at least 50%. The non-hired help really appreciates it.

Comment

That's junk. Pay once cry once

Comment

Working...
                                X