Meat eater podcast with Matt Rinella

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
    Then how do other states have private landowners allowing public hunting access, copy their programs. They compensate the landowners which is the same thing that Texas could do. Whether financial compensation or tax breaks. So many states have landowner programs that allow for public access.... this is nothing new

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Texas already has this, they lease a number of properties in a lot of areas. I can think of several within an hour and a half of me right now. The problem is most are for dove and rabbit, few are for deer and hogs or whatever other game.

Comment

Matt sounds like he’s jealous of his brothers success.

If he thinks the hunting population should be cut in half maybe he should be the first to give it up.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
        Texas already has this, they lease a number of properties in a lot of areas. I can think of several within an hour and a half of me right now. The problem is most are for dove and rabbit, few are for deer and hogs or whatever other game.

Gotcha, so how do we get more deer hunting access or participation. Montana and Kansas are 2 states that kick our *** in access to deer hunt. Kansas doesnt have much public land but they have a good landowner access program with lots of deer access and not just pheasant throughout the state

You see some people around hwy 99 in that area I mention just running cattle to keep taxes down. I wish there was enough incentive to allow that to be archery hunting. Even if it was a draw hunt or limited daily access with a sign in sheet. Something to open that land up to hunt. That greenway off I10 around Katy would be awesome to bowhunt. Corps of Engineers own that?

Comment

Texas is the worst state for big game hunting public. Lots of places to duck hunt, rabbit, squirrel, dove but very little deer except for East Texas

Comment

I listened to the podcast.

I can say in theory, I agree with a lot of what Matt thinks about social media and self promotion causing overcrowding on public lands by folks who are only there because they think it’s cool because they saw it on a tv show…..however…..

The guy went on the show with an obvious axe to grind and was very combative and argumentative and didn’t really get his point across, instead used his time to have petty arguments with his brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
              Then how do other states have private landowners allowing public hunting access, copy their programs. They compensate the landowners which is the same thing that Texas could do. Whether financial compensation or tax breaks. So many states have landowner programs that allow for public access.... this is nothing new

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Why would a landowner partner with the state when they can get 15.00 and up per acre from private individuals. The state can never match that also what landowner wants multiple local people plus out of staters all over their property? Texas is Texas for a reason.

We have a draw hunt system that IMO is now hard to get drawn for going online. The old postcard system was good because it was more work than sitting in your lazy boy applying for any and all hunts.

Some call it progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                Why would a landowner partner with the state when they can get 15.00 and up per acre from private individuals. The state can never match that also what landowner wants multiple local people plus out of staters all over their property? Texas is Texas for a reason.

We have a draw hunt system that IMO is now hard to get drawn for going online. The old postcard system was good because it was more work than sitting in your lazy boy applying for any and all hunts.

Some call it progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                The new Texas draw system sucks! But what can you expect from the government, they know we are all still going to pay to put in even if the chances of drawing are one in a million. Sure do miss the days of drawing 3 or 4 years in a row.

Comment

Matts biggest question to Steve was "Why are you influencing people to hunt?"

This is the wrong question to ask Steve Rinella, he makes his living in hunting and most people can say hes a great ambassador of hunting in general. He probably does more for the industry than anyone else. So I think Matt was asking the wrong person in this case.

Comment

That was very frustrating to listen to. He is a "my way or the highway" type of person. Really enjoy Steven....his brother...not so much. He likes to hear himself talk....and no one else.
                    Last edited by Mary; 12-29-2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

This isn't the same brother who says he wished no one else hunted so he could have it all to himself correct? I know he has a couple of brothers.

Comment

Big fan of Meateater.

My brother and I listed to the podcast at 5:00 a.m. while driving to a public spot to hunt ducks. Neither of us were successful that morning. Maybe it was because there were too many grip n' grin posting social media aficionados out that morning, maybe it was because the birds didn't like our spread, maybe it was because it was too **** hot and the birds just weren't moving, who's to say?

I grew up deer hunting at my uncles ranch but mostly hunt public now except for a couple times a year when I get an invite from friends. I have never hunted outside of Texas so I probably don't have enough perspective on this issue.

That being said, if overcrowding is the problem I would think that increasing access and opportunity would be the answer.

Comment

Texas is a terrible spot for public access when it comes to red meat. We kinda live in a bubble here and I wish there was more accessible land.
                          Hunting in the last couple of years has brought more people onto the 2nd amendment side than ever before. I don’t see how that’s bad. Even out west most folks don’t want want to work for the kill. Stick to roads and trails, etc. getting into the backcountry can be expensive. I don’t know. Usually I’m more about the adventure and the place more than the kill. Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your public lands.

Comment

People are the problem, maybe Covid will mutate faster and solve that

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                              This isn't the same brother who says he wished no one else hunted so he could have it all to himself correct? I know he has a couple of brothers.
                              Same one. haha dude says he hates people coming to hunt land out in Montanawhich is exactly what he did and does.

He also makes money off the hunting industry. Such a hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
                                People are the problem, maybe Covid will mutate faster and solve that

Maybe it will start with you.. Sounds you and Matt are butt buddies.

Comment

Working...
                                X