What’s with all these pine trees...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s with all these pine trees...?

On the north side of Houston, and while it’s been awhile since I’ve been here, I don’t remember all these d**n trees! They’re so tall that it’s hard to see more than a quarter-mile down the road. That ain’t right and I’m starting to feel claustrophobic...like I can’t breathe!

Feel like I’m in a foreign country— a little too much for this West Texas girl!

Yep. Worked on drilling rigs in East Texas a few hitches. Had to drive to the highway to regain my composure at the end of the day. Couldn’t stand to be closed in like that. Smelled good though.

Comment

Sounds like a buddy of mine who grew up on a farm in SW Nebraska. We were hunting in an E Texas National Forest and he said it made him nervous if he couldn’t see the horizon in all directions

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
        On the north side of Houston, and while it’s been awhile since I’ve been here, I don’t remember all these d**n trees! They’re so tall that it’s hard to see more than a quarter-mile down the road. That ain’t right and I’m starting to feel claustrophobic...like I can’t breathe!

Feel like I’m in a foreign country— a little too much for this West Texas girl!

Ha! I’m from LA, and if I get a 100 yard shot it’s rare.....I went bowhunting in Wyoming...BIG change in perspective!

Comment

Drives me nuts driving through Kingwood or The Woodlands and can't see an elevated sign anywhere....easy to drive right past where you were going.

Comment

Yup, when a coworker from Michigan landed at Bush intercontinental, he told his wife they got on the wrong plane. He expected to see texas desert.

Comment

Those pines have been there a long time. I used to live on the north east side and spent a lot of time north east of Houston, it was all tall pine forest. I wanted to make some passes down the track in Porter, but never did. I always went out to Baytown to run. I drove by that track many times. They literally cut a straight path through the pines, just wide enough for a drag strip. There were just guard rails on either side of the track. If you went over one of those guard rails, you were going into the trees. I figured that had to be cool screaming down track through those tall trees. I moved away, after being there for two years, they they shut that track down shortly after I left, this was 30 years ago.

Comment

My dad is from Many, Louisiana. A few years ago we took him back home for one last cruise through his old stomping grounds. We drove a lot of two lane black top. At one point he asked me what i noticed. I said something to the effect of "i can't see the sky, i hate this". He just laughed.

It's not for me either. Give me the Big Sky, and deep arroyos of NW Texas.

Comment

I’m just the opposite growing up in Louisiana and east Texas I love my tree canopy’s.I feel tucked in I do love it out west but some times feel like I’m to exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
                    I’m just the opposite growing up in Louisiana and east Texas I love my tree canopy’s.I feel tucked in I do love it out west but some times feel like I’m to exposed.
                    I'm the same. Every time I get away from the pines, it's a welcome change to come back to them. I don't like them in my yard, but couldn't do without out them on my hunting grounds, or commute.

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                      Drives me nuts driving through Kingwood or The Woodlands and can't see an elevated sign anywhere....easy to drive right past where you were going.
                      I’m staying in The Woodlands and I hadn’t noticed it, but you’re right, the directional and way-finding signage is anything but obvious. I passed my hotel TWICE before I “found” it (which reminds of the time I was in NYC on business—this was in the mid-80s—and I “lost” the Empire State Bldg which was my landmark for knowing when the “numbered” streets changed from East to West in their naming convention. But that’s a story for another time.).

To make matters worse, it must be Cheer Competition season as my hotel is practically reverberating with hundreds of SPIRITED cheerleaders.

I need a cocktail and a steak—rare, Pittsburgh style—and I’m willing to run over little old ladies and babies to get it.

Comment

I like my big pines. Grew up out in the sticks surrounded by them on the edge of the Big Thicket National Preserve. They make me feel at home. Growing up if you could see 100yds while hunting, that was a long shot. Getting near a city with too much pavement and too many people is what gets me claustrophobic these days.

Comment

Being from DEEP SOUTH TEXAS I know how you feel. The only thing is that now those ****ed windmills are cluttering up my view when I go back home for a visit.
                          Last edited by SneakyPhil; 03-05-2021, 09:50 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Being from the Big Thicket in Votaw, I don’t even notice them anymore

Comment

I have always taken them for granted growing up in the middle of them. Took Cameron out to the lease back in College and he promptly asked for a ground blind after seeing some of my stands!

Comment

Working...
                              X