Copper heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copper heads

Seems to be less copperhead snake sighting this year (snake Id posts) . I know that there are plenty around, but is it a light year for them?

Lots of vegetation that hides them!

Comment

I’ve seen 2 in the last 3 days in Lufkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They are going to be more active at night.

Comment

The cicada aren’t really out yet.

Comment

Our vet got bit in Leon county and I seen a big one today

Comment

Less copper heads maybe... But I'll hold off on that until the cecada really get going strong

That said we have killed more rattlesnakes in the last 5 months than I'm the 10 years before at the ranch

Crazy bad snakey year around central texas

Comment

I killed one last week that was under my boat cover. Only one I’ve seen this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One for us in Leon co. This year. But I haven’t been in the brush much.

Comment

Haven't seen any around the house but I haven't been the woods looking for them either. If they'll stay out of my sight they they can have all the mice and cicadas they like.

Comment

I have only seen three copperheads in my life, saw two last year, walking around our property. Then found one two weeks ago, in the back yard.

I want our yard free of poky things, such as grass burs, briars, and bull nettle. Which we had a lot of all three when we moved in. There really was not a yard around the hose. After a lot of work, we have very few grass burs, briars and no bull nettle in the yard, we do have all three elsewhere on the property. I want to be able to walk around in the yard barefoot anytime I choose.

This year we have quite a few fire ant mounds, not sure where they came from. But my wife and I were walking the yard, looking for fire ant mounds to poison. I was bare foot, she was wearing sandals. I knew there had been a large mound at the base of one of the oak trees in the middle of the back yard. So I walked around the trees trying to find it, back and forth for a while. Then decided to go around the base of two oaks, stomping the ground. I knew the ant mound was around the base of one of the two trees. The mound did not look like a ant mound, till I would water the tree, with a hose, then they would come pouring up out of the ground. So I stomped around the base of one oak, no fire ants. Went to the other tree, just started to go around it stomping the ground and quickly saw a copperhead coiled up at the base of the tree, obviously irritated and ready to strike. I had walked around that tree at least twice and did not see it.

I got to look at it for a while waiting on my wife to bring me something to kill it with. I noticed that their eyes are the same color as their body. Almost looks like their eyes are closed or don't have any. Never noticed that with copperheads. Kind of cool, never seen any type of snake with eyes the same color as it's body or head.

My wife did not think I could kill it with a old flounder gig handle. I wanted to kill it without mangling it, so I could possibly skin it. I killed it with one wack of the gig, smashed it's head, but also damaged the body, since it was coiled.

I really want to not damage one, other than the head and skin it. I have a rattler to skin, but I want a nice sized copperhead or two to skin. I found a big copperhead last year, I tried very hard to get that one, but it made it off into a area, that has some dense briars, I could not keep up with the snake.

Some people we know, that live near us, said they have killed three already, this year. It sounds like they have a lot, where they are.

Comment

I've killed three on our place this year. I've only seen one in the previous 17 years. My wife got bit twice on the hand while gardening in the spring. We got that one because she grabbed it up with her other hand (right behind it's head) and brought it to me in the house! I have since killed two more while weeding the fences and her cactus bed.

Comment

Killed one this year so far. Our place doesn't have near as many as last year. However that's due to all the clearing we've done.

Comment

Killed one in Madisonville 2 weeks ago. Only one I have ever seen there in 10 years and it was right next to the cabin. Got to break in the public defender.

Comment

Originally posted by tadmaryperry View Post
                              I've killed three on our place this year. I've only seen one in the previous 17 years. My wife got bit twice on the hand while gardening in the spring. We got that one because she grabbed it up with her other hand (right behind it's head) and brought it to me in the house! I have since killed two more while weeding the fences and her cactus bed.
                              How did everything turn out after the bite? We're moving up to my land in Warren, Tx and I've heard of there being a lot up there. I've hunted it for the last 5 years or so and never seen one, but we have a pup and a 2 year old son and I'm worried about all them.

Comment

Working...
                              X