Protien Feed Question for East Texas Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protien Feed Question for East Texas Hunters

My family and myself picked up a East Texas lease in southern Angelina County and we plan to start feeding protien in January. My question is what brand of protien have you had the most success with for East Texas deer?

Red River and Record Rack both were eaten well when I was on an Angelina lease.
    Alfalfa was eaten well too.

Comment

We feed Game Pro 16% and they can't get enough.

Comment

Record rack

Comment

ttt

Comment

I feed a 16% pellet that I buy in bulk from the caruth byrd feed store in van.

Comment

Feed

Record Rack

Comment

I am just south of angelina in polk county (on the river) and I feed both record rack and Moore, both are eaten well. If you will start by mixing 50/50 protein and ricebran pellets the deer will take to it much faster. The ricebran is around 12% protein in itself

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                  I am just south of angelina in polk county (on the river) and I feed both record rack and Moore, both are eaten well. If you will start by mixing 50/50 protein and ricebran pellets the deer will take to it much faster. The ricebran is around 12% protein in itself
                  Thanks for the input. I was wondering about mixing something in with the protien to help get them started. Do you think that the Rice Bran would work better that corn? We are also building all of our protien feeder to be like cattle troughs they are 6 foot long by 32 inches wide and 6 inches deep. We are also putting a divider in the middle, so that we can put two different types of protien in the same trough until we find out which one the deer prefer. We are looking at having 10 protien feeders on our 1400 acres. This is the first time any of us have ever tried a feeding program, so all the info y'all can share is appreciated.

Thanks,
                  Last edited by Hill1970; 12-17-2011, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill1970 View Post
                    Thanks for the input. I was wondering about mixing something in with the protien to help get them started. Do you think that the Rice Bran would work better that corn? We are also building all of our protien feeder to be like cattle troughs they are 6 foot long by 32 inches wide and 6 inches deep. We are also putting a divider in the middle, so that we can put two different types of protien in the same trough until we find out which one the deer prefer. We are looking at having 10 protien feeders on our 1400 acres. This is the first time any of us have ever tried a feeding program, so all the info y'all can share is appreciated.

Thanks,
                    I do think the ricebran works better than corn. To me the deer nearly always prefer it over corn plus it looks just like protein so they cant pick and choose what they eat

Comment

Here are a couple of pictures of the protien feeders that we are going to use. I will put the tin on the roof once we get them to the lease.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	24036338
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	24036339

Comment

I am hunting north of Jasper (first season) and the folks there say that rice bran works very well. I plan on mixing up some record rack with the RB. The one bad thing about the RB is that it is powdery and can make a mess. Old and wet protein takes nasty to a whole new level and I bet the same can be said for the RB.

Let us know what you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
                          I am hunting north of Jasper (first season) and the folks there say that rice bran works very well. I plan on mixing up some record rack with the RB. The one bad thing about the RB is that it is powdery and can make a mess. Old and wet protein takes nasty to a whole new level and I bet the same can be said for the RB.

Let us know what you find out.
                          I use Rice Bran to attract deer durring the season, but I believe that Javelin was refering to the Rice Bran pellets for mixing with the protien. It should hold up better that the powder.

Comment

I feed 16% and 20% protein in depending on time of year in Rusk county, get it bulk from Martindale Feed. I feed it out of free choice feeders.
                            Only question I have about the trough style feeders, is how often will you need to fill them up, once the deer get on it?
                            Best of luck with your feed program.

Comment

good luck with the feeders, some folks at my lease have some similar they work well except in hard blowing rain the feed can get wet and hogs tend to get in it. I have winch up 55 gallon barrels with a toilet flange and PVC pipe going down to a Tee then a short piece of PVC on each side so the deer stick their heads in the PVC

Comment

Working...
                              X