Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-22-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Exclamation Covid- if you had it, how did you get over it?

After a couple days of feeling fatigued, a little coughing, and loss of smell and taste I tested positive yesterday. No fever so far but I have been taking Tylenol regularly due to a knee surgery.

Iím 28, fairly healthy, and havenít had much breathing trouble minus my head being congested.

So, if you had it, what did you do the help out? Iím currently managing it fairly well with NyQuil.
SuperExotics is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Pretty much what youíre doing. Passed in a few days. Had two days there where I was run down and fatigued but other than that nothing major. The loss of smell and taste part was the weirdest for me.
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampBuck View Post
Pretty much what you’re doing. Passed in a few days. Had two days there where I was run down and fatigued but other than that nothing major. The loss of smell and taste part was the weirdest for me.
I didn’t believe it at first so I grabbed green olives (disgusting) and ate them with no problem.

Very odd virus.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
apkleinschmidt
Four Point

I'm the same age, had the same symptoms. Mucinex D (with sudafed) seemed to help.

If you've had loss of taste and smell I'd say your out of the woods. I had 5 days of mild symptoms and another 5 days of slight foggy brain and fatigue. **** taste took about 2 months to come fully back though.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
apkleinschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperExotics View Post
After a couple days of feeling fatigued, a little coughing, and loss of smell and taste I tested positive yesterday. No fever so far but I have been taking Tylenol regularly due to a knee surgery.

Iím 28, fairly healthy, and havenít had much breathing trouble minus my head being congested.

So, if you had it, what did you do the help out? Iím currently managing it fairly well with NyQuil.
I'm doing the exact same thing. I've got a pounding headache and sinus congestion is about all. I'm 61 and in excellent shape so I'm pretty sure that helps. I get tired pretty easy as well.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Had it in Jan before it was a Thing. Pain relievers and a ZPack I bought in Mexico.
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
the-butcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: cushing,tx

If it wasnt for loss of taste i might not have known i had it. I felt hungover one morning and that was really the worst of it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
the-butcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #8
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

Mine was off/on, except loss of smell. I would start feeling better and get to doing stuff, then tired again. Biggest thing is to MOVE...I had some shortness of breath and walked daily (even tho didn't feel like it).
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 11:11 AM   #9
gekko man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County and Llano County

I struggled for 3 weeks with Covid. I am asthmatic so I knew it would go to the lungs and it did after about a week. I ran a fever for a 10 day period during that 3 weeks.

I took Tylenol and ibuprofen with my Montelukast that I take every night. What saved me and really helped was an oxygen machine that my father in law brought over that he had used when he had it in August.

My primary care doctor would not see me or prescribe anything for my lungs. She told me on several phone discussions to go to the ER. I refused to go because I did not want to pay the outrageous bill and I knew I was not that bad.

I am recovering slowly in that my lungs still feel tight when I get active. I bowhunted yesterday and it was a struggle.

We got it (my wife also had Covid) from friends who had it in their office and decided to tell us at dinner on October 23rd. 4 days later we were positive. They tested positive the next day with no symptoms. They also infected their in-laws on October 24th. They are in denial that they gave it to us or anyone else! Oh well...I wonít argue with them about it. I just want my lungs to recover and resume a normal life!

Prayers to all who have or will have it...may you only get the sniffles!
gekko man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
Stetsonoverton
Four Point

Hunt In: Motley county

I had a high fever for a day and then was fine quarantined at the lease for 12 days
Stetsonoverton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
jer_james
Pope & Young

Lot of fluids and Tylenol - good luck, Sir!
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #12
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

back in Aug. Wife and I both had it, mine was worse, in hospital for 3 days but steroids there took care of the pneumonia(mild case). Our worse symptoms were nausea and fatigue.
Had fevers early but Ibuprofen would knock it down. Drink lots of fluids.
Don't do the Zinc thing either, if you're nauseated will make it much worse.
Covid pretty much has to run its course.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #13
Cantcatch5
Ten Point

I haven’t had it but my wife and both kids have. 12 year old had low grade fever and felt bad for a day and a half. Wife had low grade fever for 2 days, felt a little bad for about 4 days and lost taste/smell for 5ish weeks. A month later 15 year old had low grade fever for 2 days and felt kind of bad for 6 days and partially lost taste. Both kids tested positive, wife never tested but with loss of taste for over a month I am sure she had it.

They all got over it with no medications just lots of fluids. I hope you get over it as easy! The quarantine is the worst part by far according to them. And of course I had to quarantine as well even though I felt fine.
Cantcatch5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperExotics View Post

Fatigue, congestion and some coughing was about it for me. Iíve been way sicker. I used cough drops and mucinex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #15
JWalker08
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, FBG, CO, SD

Started with symptoms on the 14th and today is the first time I’ve been outside longer than 5min. I had fever for 2-3 days at the start with the highest being 102.7. Head congestion was/is bad and the fatigue is probably the worst thing of all. Mucinex for the congestion Advil for fever and vitamin C&D for good measure. I tried zinc but as previously stated, it upset my stomach pretty bad. I have also lost my taste and smell. Quarantined to my bedroom with no contact with the family they are still healthy thankfully. Definitely no fun. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
JWalker08 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #16
LWD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County and anywhere else I can

Stay hydrated and well-rested. If you have any trouble breathing get medical attention immediately. Took me about 3.5 weeks to return to normal. I felt bad the first few days and then just felt tired, but all I needed as some Advil and Sudafed.

LWD
LWD is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #17
DTala
Ten Point

my wife is a nurse, works the covid floor and she got it. I got her a Trump cocktail with Z pack and Zinc. She waited a few days to start, then took it. She was in bed with a temp for 7 days.

I knew I would get it so as soon as I started feeling bad I took the meds. I was in bed with temp for 3 days, took 30 days to feel 100% again on stamina.

Take the Trump cocktail.
DTala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #18
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

I’ve read info from a man who spends a lot of time researching health related subjects. According to various sources, it has been suggested to take vitamins C and D in healthy amounts before catching this virus as well as during and after getting sick. One or more studies suggested that sunlight seems to help the body’s ability to fight it.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 02:40 PM   #19
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTala View Post
my wife is a nurse, works the covid floor and she got it. I got her a Trump cocktail with Z pack and Zinc. She waited a few days to start, then took it. She was in bed with a temp for 7 days.

I knew I would get it so as soon as I started feeling bad I took the meds. I was in bed with temp for 3 days, took 30 days to feel 100% again on stamina.

Take the Trump cocktail.

Please explain the "Trump Cocktail". Thanks.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 03:06 PM   #20
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I had fever for 2 days headache for several days. I drank the tonic water with bitters in it . Was harder on my wife . She lost smell , fever for a few days . Coughing still and she had it in July . She was in bed a day or two . Nephew and his girlfriend had it mild . It killed my mother in law .
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #21
Lightning48
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jones County

Last edited by Lightning48; 11-22-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Lightning48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #22
Lightning48
Eight Point

Hunt In: Jones County

Lightning48 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 07:15 PM   #23
BO-N-ARO
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kansas / Missouri / Africa

Vitamin C and D along with zinc. Elderberry won’t hurt. Plenty of water
BO-N-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #24
Johnny44
Ten Point

Here is what I know per doctors on base and the VA:

Quercetin and/or some form of Quinine coupled with Zinc helps reduced viral replication because the two allow zinc into the cell. There is no exact dosage because they have no clue how little of the two chemicals is needed to allow the zinc to work.

ZPack while an antibiotic does have an antiviral component.

Cytokine storm is the dangerous part and it can be mitigated with cimetidine (pepcidAC) and melatonin over the counter, prescription steroids otherwise. Famotidine (tagament) instead of pepcidac but not both together. You can take the melatonin with the antiacid.

Vitamin C, A, D3

A baby aspirin per day while you have it to reduce any clots

Whatever cold medicine you like

Plasma

The Trump antibody miracle

Remdesivir

Other stuff doctors have in the pipe too

I also heard from a witch doctor the orange agent (berberine) in agarita is an antiviral

https://www.foragingtexas.com/2006/05/agarita.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berberine

I also heard from a doctor that said elderberry can ramp up the immune system in some making cytokine storm worse.

Last edited by Johnny44; 11-22-2020 at 08:33 PM.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #25
bluelund79
Pope & Young

Hunt In: MT, WY, KY, TX, WI

Been cooped up for two weeks with it. Hunted 11 miles in the mountains with my son today. That helped, just wish I could hear out of my right ear. Made my balance all kinds of messed up. I’ll go for a run tomorrow, that’ll help clear out my lungs. I only had the chills, headaches, and hard time breathing. I’m glad I didn’t lose my smell or taste sensations. I did test positive, and luckily my quarantine is over. Still working from home, my labs love that.
bluelund79 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #26
Mike
Ten Point

The wife and I are both 52 and overweight. She has had breast cancer and taking Tamoxifen daily since 2011. She is a HS teacher, picked it up at school and brought it home to me in September. She started with a fever and tickle in her throat on a Saturday, then fever that night. We both started checking temps 3-4 times a day and both of us had 100ish fever. She started feeling bad on Monday afternoon so I went and got tested since I was out and about, went to an ER clinic doing rapid tests, no symptoms, no fever on their thermometer but I was positive and O2 level was 96-97. ER Dr said alternate taking 500mg tylenol and 1200mg ibuprophen every 3 hours and get a pulse/ex meter to monitor 02 levels. She had me walk the parking lot for 7 minutes to try and get my O2 level to fall but it never did. She said once it got to mid 80's they'd admit me to the hospital. I told her I was not going to an ER and would be taking HCL, she then told me whatever Dr was prescribing it was a quack and not to listen to them. I said I will take my chances.

Luckily, one of my best friends is a Dr (he does not do rapid Covid Testing) and he prescribed the Hydroxychloroquine that I took for 4 days. I had no symptoms after that, other than fever on my thermometer.

The wife on the other hand was tested the next day, at a different facility, felt horrible, fever of 102, chest congestion and tested negative. They told her she had it and gave her all the meds aside from HCL. Zpack, cough meds, breathing treatments were given. Our Dr got her some Dulera and that was the game changer, it made all the difference.

She felt really bad on days 1-2, day 3 was better, day 4 felt fantastic and Day 5 was horrible. She was good on days 6-8 and Day 9 was the worst day. She had a hard time taking a deep breath and in the evening, she was struggling to get a full breath for about 5 minutes and then she was ok. Almost like she was hyperventilating. Days 11-13 were way better and no symptoms.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #27
Johnny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Montgomery & Madison Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksalot View Post
Iíve read info from a man who spends a lot of time researching health related subjects. According to various sources, it has been suggested to take vitamins C and D in healthy amounts before catching this virus as well as during and after getting sick. One or more studies suggested that sunlight seems to help the bodyís ability to fight it.
Yep, take 25-50mg of zinc, 10,000 IU's of D3 (not D) and 1,500-2,500mg of vitamin c daily as a preventative.. All are exceptional for boosting your immune system. I do this daily.

Now if you get sick, you up dosage of zinc to 75mg for 4 to 5 days straight.

And agreed on the sunlight...natural D3.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-22-2020, 11:28 PM   #28
M.E.B.
Ten Point

Had diarrhea for 2 weeks. Worst part. I mean screaming diarrhea. Lots of fluids.
headache first 2-3 days.

Days 2-5 body aches. Hips killed me.

Last 7 days I had a low grade fever and chills starting at 7pm like clockwork. No fever when I woke up.

Took a Z pack. 4 days of Hydroxychloroquine because I had some. Zinc, vitamin D and C. Tylenol

I was very fatigued during and about 2 weeks after but I had insomnia at night. NyQuil saved me.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #29
firemanjj82
Ten Point

I had it in August. In regards to symptoms, only had vague ones that included fever, aches, and stomach issues, along with loss of smell and altered taste. That went for about 5-7 days. But I truly feel like I've had some effects that have continued since, including stomach issues, mood changes, lack of energy, etc...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
firemanjj82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 09:36 AM   #30
SB09
Pope & Young

I basically had about 8hours of body aches and fatigue, 48 hours of fever, then about 72 hours of loss of taste/smell as well as slight cough(which Z-pack knocked out quick) and then it was gone. By the time I got my test and received results I basically felt fine. The only way I knew I had it was the loss of smell/taste. I don't really notice any lingering effects of it.

I took zinc, quinine water, vitamin D.

My wife was the same pretty much as I was. She's had lingering loss of taste/smell.

My 3 month old at the time had runny stool once or twice(We didn't test her to confirm she had it)
SB09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #31
AD88
Four Point

Hunt In: SNF, South of Big Lake

Ivermectin per your weight and Vit BCD WITH Zinc. Smell and taste come and go after 2 1/2 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AD88 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #32
Richlyn71
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: DCNF SHNF East Texas

We make elderberry syrup with our honey. When my family tested positive we doubled up on the dosage. We lost our taste and smell and had fatigue, but other than that we were over it in about 5 days. The first few days we had had cold like symptoms with sore throat and head congestion. We still take our syrup every day.
Richlyn71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #33
SuperExotics
Pope & Young

Today is day 4 of symptoms. Feeling slightly better today. No cough, no fever, not as achey. Just fatigued.

O2 has stayed 96-99%
Old 11-23-2020, 11:15 PM   #34
Aggie PhD
Ten Point

Hunt In: North of US90

When I got back from 2nd elk rifle in colorado, I thought I just had allergies. Lots of sinus drainage/congestion, which turned into a mild cough. Well work said "you should go get tested, just in case" and I was positive
I was already on sudafed D to dry me out, which it worked well. I tested on a thursday (11/5/20). On Friday and saturday I slept most of the day. And took some ibuprofen occasionally for headaches because I didn't get my normal amount of coffee.

The next week was bad dealing with the lethargy and a fuzzy head. Just didn't seem to be my normal cognitive self. Every once in a while I feel like I could really take a nap.....

beyond that I am back at work.
Aggie PhD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #35
d1rich1
Ten Point

My wife, mom, and I tested positive for covid. We were over it quickly though and we think the below helped.
My symptoms were: body aches (kept me up at night), very tired, shortness of breath (mild), diarrhea (mild), and foggy headed (mild). My wife and mom have been having most of what I had along with low grade fevers and loss of sense of smell. I never had a fever that I knew about and took my temp often.
We were surprised that the treatment the Dr. recommend when we tested positive was no treatment (unless it becomes a really bad case). Well by then itís too late in some cases and no other virus, disease, or cancer is treated this way. With everything else itís early treatment to keep it from becoming bad. The problem with Covid is that there is not a lot known yet so itís a learning process. Here are some treatments we have learned along the way. I do think my wife would have been in the hospital if we hadnít started these treatments below.
Covid-19 Treatments: (Disclaimer: Iím not a Dr.)
Everything in the below section are adult amounts and can be bought over the counter. Do your own research, pray for wisdom, and consult your Dr. to see if these treatments are right for you. Everyone responds differently. All the vitamins/probiotics can be taken before you get exposed to build up your system. With how contagious this virus is the question isnít will you be exposed but when.

* Buy a pulse oximeter. (We bought a great one for 25$ on Amazon) If your Sats are less than 90% go to the hospital and get a CXR (chest x ray). Ask for a CBC, D-Dimer, C-Reactive Protein, Ferritin, LDH, Absolute Lymphocyte count and an N:L Ratio. All those things will determine how bad the virus is in your system. If there are prominent coagulopathies in your blood work then you shouldn't be at home, but a simple Pulse Oximeter can pretty much tell you that. Trend your readings often.

* Low dose aspirin daily to prevent blood clots. Theyíre finding that people that died from Covid had lots of little clots that affected their organs. My wifeís Dr. recommended this and weíve read multiple studies. Look up the recent studies. Not everyone needs to be on a blood thinner. Talk to your Dr.

* 25-50 mg of zinc a day. We bought on amazon.

* Vitamin D3 - 50 mcg (vitamin K2 helps with D3 absorption. A little magnesium helps as well. The sun is free)
* Vitamin K2 - 20 mcg

* Vitamin C - 500 mg once a day.

* Quinine (look this up). Can be found in tonic water (quinine has to show in ingredients). approx 6 oz morning and 6 oz at night. More concentrated quinine is available if you buy el guapo/top hat (or similar brand) tonic syrup. We bought tonic water at grocery store. Concentrated syrups on amazon. This is the only ingredient a Dr. told me to be careful on because it can be overdosed on and might have side effects.

* Melatonin ó Commonly used to treat insomnia, some studies have suggested that melatonin could also help COVID-19 patients with diabetes and obesity, according to CNN. "The ability of melatonin to decrease viral infections in obese and diabetic patients is attributed to its characterists, such as potent antioxidant effects, improving the endogenous antioxidant system, immunomodulatory, and the strong anti-inflammatory capability," according to researchers from Mansoura University in Egypt.

* Probiotics.

* Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!!! I could write 2 pages on this.

* Take deep breaths hourly and cough a couple times a day to keep your lungs open. Lying prone (face down) on stomache is suppose to help breathing as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
d1rich1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM   #36
TreeDaddy
Four Point

Hunt In: same

popped + aug 4

minimal symptoms endurance took a hit and didn't return for 3 weeks

Advil was helpful

bill
TreeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:46 AM   #37
Mbbriggs05
Six Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine

I had it back in July.......well my whole crew did actually.

I 38 and had a headache and lost taste/smell - took 2-1/2 months to come back and stuff does not taste or smell the same as before, only a slight difference though so its not terrible.

Wife (36) had fever for about 24hrs, body aches for 48hrs, headache and congestion for about 7 days.

Oldest daughter (15) was same as me but with a little congestion

The rest of gang were all asymptomatic from ages 11 to 3

It really does seem to effect everyone differently. I know quite a few people that have had it from all different ages and health conditions. Everyone has been different, even those with significant health issues that didn't have a tough time at all and 2 that are way healthier than me that ended up in ICU for several days. It does seem now that although the number of cases are climbing the severity of them aren't as significant.
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM   #38
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Nope so far I'm good! Wife, kids, and grandkids have all had a bout with bit of fever, sinus problem, and feeling really tired and crappy for a few days up to a few weeks (dil was the only to get tested and she tested positive). I've been on hydrochloroquine for a couple of years for my RA, just added a few things along with it, so far I've been covid free.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top