2019 elk!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 elk!

So far I've acquired a private land bull elk tag from my cousin's husband. They own a little over 10K acres around angel fire NM. Looks like me and my uncle will have the place to ourselves when we head up. I'm working with my uncle on an archery draw hunt on the north slope in Utah. Beyond excited, as this will be my first elk hunt coming up. Time to put some miles on my boots and shed a few pounds. Tips on gear would be appreciated, especially for the public land hunt. Gonna lug the Kodiak Canvas, have the disc o beds, and sleeping arrangements already, what I don't have is a good bag, clothes for that part of the country. Also any tips on certain cow calls or bugles.

Just learn to use a diaphragm

Comment

I love my Kifaru pack. I run the reckoning and lite frame Bc it breaks down into a great day bag. If you’re going archery, Sitka accent pants can’t be beat. First lite merino base layers, Sitka mid weight quarter zip, a puffy, and rain gear and you should be set. I’d suggest darn tough socks as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As far as calls, I really like the Phelps calls with the metal over the reed. They sound pretty good. Get several different ones and see which you can get the best sounds out of. My limited experience with calls is they are very hit or miss.

Comment

Goto McDonalds and get straws. Breath thru one while you are walking

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            ?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              Lol is this a joke?

Comment

Nope not a joke. I started walking with a short straw and then added length until I could walk about 5 miles breathing through a straw. You can buy a restricting mask and look like Hanibal. I'm just cheap and McDonalds straws are priced right. This is not for the hunt- I'm talking about getting ready which is hard to duplicate.

Comment

search "the elk thread"
                  read the entire thing (it will take a while)
                  also, elk101 by Corey Jacobson would be where I would start if I were a newbie to elk hunting again

welcome to a life long addiction

Comment

Might wanna listen to as many podcasts as you can that relates to elk hunting. The rich outdoors had some great ones! And they cover all kinds of gear. So does the gritty bowmen and Kifaru.

The elk nut app is worth its weight in gold if you want to understand bugling how good and whys and do’s and don’ts. It’s cheap too. Also, listen to all of the podcasts on the rich outdoors that has Paul the elk nut on it.

Comment

No elk around angel fire. Just send me the tags so you can concentrate on Utah! Ha. Congrats on the luck.

Comment

Man that’s really cool! Get in great shape to make the most of this opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by NotJose View Post
                          Man that’s really cool! Get in great shape to make the most of this opportunity

I second this. Get in the gym now! I’m already back in the gym for my trip back to Colorado in September. I logged over 50 miles in my first 6 days. Wish I would have trained harder and for more than 5 months Bc I was spent by the end of the week.

Comment

Dan. Try the straws. Best thing I started doing- Makes lungs work more and when you get to altitude you almost feel like you can breathe.

Comment

Listen to these guys about getting in shape. It’s a must to really enjoy the mountains. I hunted three consecutive years around taos/angel fire. My fitness prep was lackluster before my last hunt and made it much more difficult to get around.

If you have access to 10k acres in angle fire- I’d ignore most other public land hunting.

Comment

Working...
                              X