• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BamaPSE View Post
    Great lapping kit and I don't know about the vise but it should do the job
    What he said.

Comment

Man I can’t see why anyone would not lap their rings? High quality or low quality it’s only helping. Then again wanting perfect and wanting a dead deer inside 300yards are apples and oranges.

Comment

I bed my bases AND lap my rings, and I use quality parts. The rings always look like that. Doesn't mean they are misaligned or poor quality. The visual created by lapping is way more dramatic than any inconsistency in the rings. The contrast between the metal and the finish just emphasizes that minor inconsistency. Most ring manufacturers will claim something like "precise to within .001-.003 inches" anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
          I bed my bases AND lap my rings, and I use quality parts. The rings always look like that. Doesn't mean they are misaligned or poor quality. The visual created by lapping is way more dramatic than any inconsistency in the rings. The contrast between the metal and the finish just emphasizes that minor inconsistency. Most ring manufacturers will claim something like "precise to within .001-.003 inches" anyway.
          Bed the bases? Explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            Bed the bases? Explain.

Comment

Bed the bases? Explain.
              Bedding your base(s) is a must on production actions. We should get no argument on that one! [emoji869]After that step lap or dont, if you have bought high end rings.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve never thought much about the importance of lapping rings before mounting a scope. Shouldn’t matter because I try to buy higher quality rings, right? Yesterday, we went to mount and sight in my youngest son’s new scope on his .243. For the first time ever, I spent the time to lap the new Talley Lightweight rings before mounting the scope. The gun sighted in nicely and all was well. That gun is a shooter! My oldest son took his .270 to shoot some. I thought, since I saw some definite benefit to lapping the other rings, I might as well do his while we are there. I pulled his Vortex scope off and started lapping his Talley Lightweight rings. After a little while, I realized the lapping tool was only touching one corner of the front ring. I felt of the scope, and the tube was crimped from the rings. Dang, that sucks. Finished lapping, and remounted scope in original position, and went to sight-in. 6” groups was the best I could achieve. I then realized the scope was crimped enough to now be loose in the front ring. I loosened and moved scope to where ring grabbed again, the gun shot great again, but now has an ugly scope. I’m going to send scope back to Vortex and be honest with them about what happened. Their warranty policy is pretty amazing, and hope they will fix it. I will be lapping from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                  Bedding your base(s) is a must on production actions. We should get no argument on that one! [emoji869]After that step lap or dont, if you have bought high end rings.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
                  Agreed.

However, one of the most accurate factory guns I owned was a youth R700 243? Threaded it. Bedded into a thumbhole Boyd’s stock for my wife with a timney. I kid you not I shot 3 back to back groups with all being low .1s. .124” was the best. The other just a hair bigger. Standard leupold dual dovetail rings and bases. Got rid of it because it would shoot like a shotgun after 30ish rounds. It hated any fouling

Comment

I can't believe you guys don't lap your scope tubes while you're at it. During shipping, the Coriolis Effect really takes a toll on them.

"My $49 Made-in-China steel bars are more accurate than these precision-ground USA-machined scope rings."

This thread is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                      I can't believe you guys don't lap your scope tubes while you're at it. During shipping, the Coriolis Effect really takes a toll on them.

"My $49 Made-in-China steel bars are more accurate than these precision-ground USA-machined scope rings."

Steel wool to a $2500 atacr

Comment

Lapping Scope Rings

Your inner ****bag is showing.
                        Last edited by meltingfeather; 01-20-2019, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                          Your inner ****bag is showing.
                          Oh Dennis I wear that patch on the OUTSIDE of my sleeve. You go ahead and lap dem rings bud. I'll keep buying this LaRue garbage that doesn't need to be messed with.

Shooting comp soon? We can even switch rifles.

Comment

Bed the bases? Explain.
                            I found this on youtube.com. I never even thought about it but it actually makes total sense.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6RopWI0-GE"[/url]

I don't know why this isn't posting correctly but I assume y'all canfigure out where to go with it.
                            Last edited by Etxbuckman; 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Oh Dennis I wear that patch on the OUTSIDE of my sleeve. You go ahead and lap dem rings bud. I'll keep buying this LaRue garbage that doesn't need to be messed with.

Shooting comp soon? We can even switch rifles.
                              If I decide I want an earful of unsolicited advice I’ll give you a shout.

Comment

Working...
                              X