Hearing aids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hearing aids

I am looking for information on hearing aids. Those of you that have them, which brand would you recommend? I am thinking about the in the canal type, but would like opinions on those also. I have Medicare but don’t know exactly what it pays for. Thanks for your help in advance.

On for answer too! My bro said he heard that med care paid... I was going to sign up for VA cause I heard they paid for and might pay disability...still looking into so any info would be helpful

Comment

I would not get an "in the canal" aid. That was my first one, and they would chirp or whistle at times especially when you put your phon to your ear. They may have approved those since then. I have had honk "behind the ear" aids for the last 9 years, and they finally crapped out, I have some Kirkland behind the ears aids on order and will pick them up next Friday. Kirkland is made by Sonova wh also makes Phonak and several others. They cost $1400 compared to the comparable Phonaks that cost ~$5300. Kirklands are sold by Costco and are highly rated.

Comment

I have heard from good sources that Medicare will not pay for hearing aids. The VA has hooked up several of my friends. I have tried behind the ear, don’t know where they are, I think covid mask got them. Have has good luck with in the canal kind. My next pair will have Bluetooth, all you do is mash the button and say hello.

Comment

I have had two pair of ReSound. Both behind the ear. The current pair is Bluetooth, and it great for phone calls, music. I have heard that the VA is great for hearing aids. When you get them it takes a week or two to get used to having them in. Best of luck.

Comment

Getting mine from Costco In two weeks

Comment

I have the in - the - canal hearing aids and love them, Starkey is my brand, as I understand, the VA (at least at the Audie Murphy VA in SA) only will give you behind the ear hearing aids, which I didn't want.

Comment

Been wearing them since 2000. Had both and the in the ear canal works best for me. The behind the ear ones were just never right. Glasses and ear muffs on the tractor. My in the canal ones I can change volume and it has 3-4 different environments, TV-crowd-outdoors-and normal that I can change to if needed. Medicare does not pay anything towards the aids unless that has changed. My insurance covered 80% of the cost and we ended up paying about $900.00 out of pocket. I can get a new pair every three years.

Comment

A good hearing aid clinic will let you try some of them out, and recommend a "best fit" for your conditions. Medicare won't pay anything on them. I tried some of the Walmart hearing aids first, and they helped a little, they were $400 each then. Two years ago I got the best Phonak had to offer with bluetooth to my phone. That was a big improvement, allowing me to talk on my phone again. They are good. The downside is that those were $7000 for the pair. Some insurance policies will pick up varying portions of the cost, my Blue Cross policy didn't. My audiologist has told me that since I got mine that that has changed and my Blue Cross plan will pay up to $1000 per ear. That will help on my next pair, I guess, but they will probably be $10k by then....
                  Last edited by softpoint; 09-26-2022, 07:02 AM.

Comment

I got Oticons from the V A for free. I do have a hearing disability from serving in the 2nd Tank Battalion so that’s probably why I got em for free. They work good when I wear em but they make the inside of my ears itch. That why I don’t wear em much. I get along better with wifey without em as well.

Comment

Va will give them to you for free, and all the batteries and supplies for them for free. Don't put them into your ears unless the inner of the ear is dry.

Comment

Got mine from Tru Hearing. My Humana Advantage plan paid for the biggest share of them, otherwise I would probably have never bought them. Rechargeable, behind the ear, and Bluetooth. I can change program and volume from my iPhone. I bought them mostly because tv and radio volume was too loud for everyone else. The best part is I can talk and hear with my phone in my shirt pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                          On for answer too! My bro said he heard that med care paid... I was going to sign up for VA cause I heard they paid for and might pay disability...still looking into so any info would be helpful
                          Hearing loss is supposed to be a presumed service-connected disability and should get you into the system and free hearing aids. However, I have read of folks who were denied the disability.

And, do you know that the VA is the #1 purchaser of hearing aids in the US?

Comment

I have the Phonak behind the ear Bluetooth through the VA. I love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a pair of Resound that the army gave me. Behind the ear, Bluetooth… all that jazz. They are great but I don’t wear them all that much anymore.

Will use this to add my abbreviated normal soapbox speech. At 28 years old I got hearing aids, so make sure your kiddos or anyone else is wearing gearing protection! Obviously when shooting but when doing the yard work and stuff also. I struggle now at 33 to keep a passing flight physical, all because I thought I was invincible and never wore anything to protect my hearing.

Comment

Working...
                              X