ELD Match Bullets Consistency…Not Impressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ELD Match Bullets Consistency…Not Impressed

In developing a load recipe for my Savage VLP 223 (1/7 twist) with Varget and 80 grain Hornady ELD Match bullets, I’ve noticed something that actually caught me by surprise. My main goal was to use a heavy for caliber bullet. I picked the Hornady Match simply because of availability compared to others when inventory issues persist. When I first started seating bullets, I began measuring bullet base to ogive to sort bullets just to eliminate that variable in my testing. After I get the load dialed in, I won’t worry about bullet sorting. I was surprised to find bullet base to ogive to vary as much as .006” when I measured 10 bullets…especially for a .224 bullet. That’s A LOT! I think there were 4 that measured the same. I just finished dialing in a recipe for a Remington Long Range 25-06 with H4831 and Berger 115 VLD Hunting bullets. It’s shooting .508” groups at 3210FPS. Just to compare the Bergers to the ELD Match bullets, I measured 14 consecutive Bergers (with the same calipers). They were all within .001”. Pretty amazing really. But it is Berger. Thoughts?? Has anyone else noticed the ELD Match inconsistencies?

I shoot 147 ELDMs in my 260AI. I haven’t measured for consistency but they shoot 1/2” or less so I don’t really care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I measure group size. That is what counts for me anyway.
      ELDMs shoot great for me.

Comment

I've run 3 weights of .224 ELDM, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, and .308 and they all shot exceptionally well. Didn't measure or sort by bullet ogive distance but they all shot as well as I could provided I did my part.

Comment

Did y’all see any inconsistencies in bullet seating depth because of it? Loading Bergers in 25-06 and a few others I get extremely consistent seating depths. I do see some variances in seating depths when loading ELDs. All that being said, I’m getting .6” groups so there is no major complaint. It’s just something I’m curious about.

Comment

I found the same type of thing on some Hornady 140's. My berger 140's were all within .001" I shot both and to me the only thing that matters is what's on the paper and they both shot in the 1/2 MOA range as long as I did my part.

Comment

I also had the same issues, but with 6.5 140 ELDM. Berger and Sierra were both much more consistent. More than anything, it just bothered my OCD that I couldn’t get consistent bullet seating depths with them. They still shot well and we’re significantly cheaper than Berger.

Comment

Biggest thing I see is inconsistent bullet weight. As high as 3 grain spread on a box of 100. Most are within .5 gr but a lot of lights and heavies. Probably around 60% are either light or heavy. Don't matter much until you get out to extra long yardage. I hate having to cull brand new bullets. It's not just Hornady but they seem to be the worst.

Comment

You’d be surprised how many measure like that. But still shoot. I’d keep working on that load. Should get well under .5”. ELDMs flat out shoot and slaughter critters like parvo

Comment

I've seen the same in several bullet weights, 180gr-7mm and 75gr-224 bullets.

I shoot them in my 22 creedmoor still but I start long and work into the seating depth for each loaded round...a pain in the A...compared to bergers, noslers and other rounds but they do shoot well and kill very similar to a berger in my experience on game.

Just another step in the reloading process for me. The eldm's are noticeably less consistent vs bergers though in my loading experience.

Comment

Seating stems can and do make a difference. The one that came with your seating did may not match the bullet.

Comment

Measure where it matters; on target.

Comment

I just measure COAL, not seating depth.

Comment

Y’all ever shoot animals with ELD Match? I know they aren’t made for hunting, just curious on how they might do!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholson84 View Post
                              Y’all ever shoot animals with ELD Match? I know they aren’t made for hunting, just curious on how they might do!
                              I haven’t but I’ve seen some pretty interesting videos of gel tests. I’ll let you be the judge if you check out the videos. For me, as the size of the animal increases, I would certainly not use them. That being said, I’d “prefer” a bonded bullet and even solid copper in certain situations. Some rifles are pretty picky when developing recipes with bonded bullets. But that’s definitely just my .02.

Comment

Working...
                              X