Subbing game roast for chuck roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subbing game roast for chuck roast

If I’m making a recipe that calls for chuck roast but I sub in a game roast, should I tweak anything?

In a simmering situation I would think it would tenderize in the same 4-5 hrs, but it’s not going to have the rendered fat. Maybe add some bone broth or something?

I sub game meat in just about everything we cook with the exception of a nice ribeye or chicken. I don't do anything different, especially in a simmering situation like you are talking about. It certainly would not hurt to add some extra broth or something.

Comment

I couldn't make a roast with deer meat to save my life until my neighbor told me to go buy a cheap piece of beef and throw in with it. Now they're great.

Comment

Throw in a half stick or whole stick of butter. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
          I couldn't make a roast with deer meat to save my life until my neighbor told me to go buy a cheap piece of beef and throw in with it. Now they're great.
          I have done this as well. Many of the game roasts are extremely lean and will be dry, even in a braising situation. Adding a cheap piece of fatty beef really helps. I have also just added beef tallow and that does a good job as well.

Comment

I've use deer instead of beef in a Mississippi roast recipe using an Instant Pot. Do not change a thing and it is great. But that recipe does have a lot of butter in it.

Comment

All great sounding answers. I think I’ll try them all one at a time!

Comment

I add beef fat as well. I may suck at cooking, but even a crock pot leaves something to be desired to me without adding fat.

Comment

We use deer roasts all the time just like we would a beef roast. A little broth and fat never hurt anything!

Comment

I have tried venison roast multiple times in the crock pot, they just get smaller and harder and tougher the longer I cook them. Never been able to eat one of them

Comment

I've thrown a scoop of this in various wildgame recipes and haven't had any complaints yet....mostly compliments!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Choosing the right cut of meat is important as well. Venison neck and shoulder roasts are great for long, slow cooking methods because they're full of connective tissue. The connective tissue is largely collagen, which eventually renders into gelatin and gives roasts that tender juiciness.

Venison shanks make awesome Oso Bucco for anyone that hasn't tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post
                          Choosing the right cut of meat is important as well. Venison neck and shoulder roasts are great for long, slow cooking methods because they're full of connective tissue. The connective tissue is largely collagen, which eventually renders into gelatin and gives roasts that tender juiciness.

Venison shanks make awesome Oso Bucco for anyone that hasn't tried it.

To your point, I was about to wonder out loud whether or not adding some unflavored gelatin to the beef broth might make a difference. It is fairly common in French cooking to add gelatin (collagen) to “lean” broth to add a richness that can’t be lent by lean meats or small bones. I wonder if it might work in reverse for lean meats.

May have to research my Julia Child cookbooks for the answer.

Comment

Didn’t find the wavy I, but I did pick up some tallow today. There was duck fat right next to it so I figured why not and I grabbed some of that too. I’m sure I can make something good with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                              To your point, I was about to wonder out loud whether or not adding some unflavored gelatin to the beef broth might make a difference. It is fairly common in French cooking to add gelatin (collagen) to “lean” broth to add a richness that can’t be lent by lean meats or small bones. I wonder if it might work in reverse for lean meats.

May have to research my Julia Child cookbooks for the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X