Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling online? Then accept electronic payment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling online? Then accept electronic payment.

I was attempting to buy a bow from someone on AT that lives in Missouri. We exchanged some text messages and since I felt like I was playing 20 questions, I called him. We had a pleasant conversation and I didn't even try to talk him down on price, agreed to pay shipping, etc.

So I asked, how do you want your payment?

He says, you can mail me a money order.

What?? I almost said "forget it." My opinion is if you are going to sell online, then accept some sort of electronic payment. Around here it is a little different because we could actually meet face to face and exchange cash.

I'll bet this guy buys stuff from a catalog, fills out the order form, mails in a check with the order form and waits for his product.

I'm just venting.

All my online gun sales / consignments are certified funds or personal check for payment...

Some of us are old fashion & just don't like that stuff.

Comment

Yeah I bought some broadheads from a guy on AT and he requested the same thing, he was super nice and even shipped before receiving payment.

Comment

I think it’s the only way sellers can get around the new tax on online sales .

Comment

I would prefer a money order before Paypal or Venmo. Paypal is not a 2nd Amendment friendly outfit.
          Last edited by Radar; 09-20-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

He didn’t accept snapchat pay?

Comment

Agreed. It protects both parties. Only way I do cash these days is F2F. Some things like mounts, at a reputable shop, I don't even mind paying 100% cash up front. Just did that on a bow actually, and done it on several mounts.

But really he ought to do e-payments. PayPal even allows a Friends and Family so that funds aren't deducted. If he is worried about that, then he should ask the buyer to pay the additional transaction fee.

Comment

There’s several reasons as a seller online to not accept electronic payments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Wells Fargo will cut a check that is like a money order for the seller but protects me as a buyer. I've used it several times buying things off of here. 5 business days after I've requested it be sent it'll show up and both parties are protected.

Comment

I don't like my wife seeing money in and out on hunting stuff. So I try to do cash/cashiers checks on the bigger ticket stuff. Better that way

Comment

I listed a 5th wheel on Facebook Marketplace a few minutes ago and already had someone want to pay me full price sight unseen. Obviously, I was extremely leery. They didn't even want to know where exactly it was. Just wanted to pay me now and arrange to pick up later. They wanted to pay with Zellepay. I was like nope meet me with cash or meet me at there bank. Miraculously they instantly disappeared. Scammers are everywhere and you just don't know who is who.

Comment

I'm young, and I don't do electronic payment. I get that some people don't want to go through the effort of going to the post office for a money order or meeting in person with cash, so I'm up front about it. I have no desire to give some random app access to my debit card/bank account. Venmo/Zelle/Paypal, they all get hacked, and if you're unfortunate enough for it to happen, good luck getting your money back. When you send money "friends and family" if that nice guy ends up being a scammer, paypal is gonna tell you tough luck. You can get scammed with a money order, sure. Online just makes it that much easier. Regards, youngest prospect for the GOFs

Comment

I prefer check or money order on my Vortex sales. I take PayPal, but it costs me 3.49%. I hate to pass that cost on to the customer and usually eat it unless it's a high dollar item. If it's a high dollar item I let the customer know that the 3.49% fee will be added to the purchase price if they choose to use PayPal. I also take Venmo and prefer it, but either of these (PayPal or Venmo) will end up costing me money with the new tax regs.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
                            I don't like my wife seeing money in and out on hunting stuff. So I try to do cash/cashiers checks on the bigger ticket stuff. Better that way
                            This right here for me.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Some of us are still old school.
                              When I did hog hunts, I only took checks or money order. Pay pal and or sorts was just too confusing.

Comment

Working...
                              X