Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #1
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county
Default 3L Duramax opinions

Iím on the fence on this one. I donít need my 19 f250 powerstroke. Love it. Donít need it. I test drove a Silverado LTZ with the small duramax and thought it was pretty impressive. I know it wonít pull anything like the f250 but it is supposed to get way better fuel mileage. The heaviest thing I see pulling nowadays is a 20í Skeeter. My question is will I be happy pulling that 20í bass boat with the 3L duramax?
KenWood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

Fuel mileage sounds nice, but I would not own a diesel just for mileage. The half ton gas rigs are getting 20mpg these days. I just traded my 2021 ram hemi 4x4 with 3.93 rear end. in and averaged 18 all around mpg and on trips would get right at 20. Diesels will all have emissions issues it’s not if it’s when and as soon as warranty is over it’s not cheap to fix
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 07:23 PM   #3
91cavgt
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Fuel mileage sounds nice, but I would not own a diesel just for mileage. The half ton gas rigs are getting 20mpg these days. I just traded my 2021 ram hemi 4x4 with 3.93 rear end. in and averaged 18 all around mpg and on trips would get right at 20. Diesels will all have emissions issues itís not if itís when and as soon as warranty is over itís not cheap to fix

I agree. Even the base model engines are no slouch. Chevy has a turbo 2.7L 4 cylinder in the half tons that has some impressive low end torque. It has 310 hp and 348 ft lbs! For comparison, in 2003 the 5.3L V8 was rated at 285 hp and 325 ft lbs! So donít shy away from the base engines because ďthey donít have enough power to pull my boatĒ.

For full disclosure, Iíve got a 2022 Ram 1500 with the HEMI and 3.21 rear gears. On a highway trip from San Antonio to Corpus Christi with a constant headwind, the truck averaged 22 mpg with cruise set to 65 mph.
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 07:40 PM   #4
Mitchell8
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Can’t a moderna Tacoma pull a 20 ft skeeter no issues
Mitchell8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 08:07 PM   #5
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

Not to mention in my neck of the woods diesel has been $1 to $2 more per gallon for several years now. Last week it was $2.35 higher per gallon
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell8 View Post
Canít a moderna Tacoma pull a 20 ft skeeter no issues
Iíd assume not in an hurry.
TreyRo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 08:33 PM   #7
Capt.Bryan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady

My brother just traded in his 8 month old 1/2 ton duramax due to emission related issues. 1st time it was in shop for 2 months. Threw a code 2 weeks ago and pulled it into a dodge dealership and drove out with a dodge.
Capt.Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 08:41 PM   #8
Snowflake Killa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Fuel mileage sounds nice, but I would not own a diesel just for mileage. The half ton gas rigs are getting 20mpg these days. I just traded my 2021 ram hemi 4x4 with 3.93 rear end. in and averaged 18 all around mpg and on trips would get right at 20. Diesels will all have emissions issues itís not if itís when and as soon as warranty is over itís not cheap to fix
Spot on

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 10:21 PM   #9
BRUTE 23
Four Point

I drove a buddies 1/2 Chevy diesel last month and loved it. It will be on my short list for a run around truck in the near future.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
BRUTE 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2022, 10:42 PM   #10
sticknstring
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching atm

I like my 1/2 diesel- I’ve had it 4 yrs and it’s been great. Traded in f 250 king ranch and never looked back! I didn’t need to pull big RV anymore. I went from 15/ mpg on a good day to 28 mpg on a good day( I’ve hit 30-32 a few times on long trips). I still pull a horse, rv - cargo conversion and a 20’ cc to the coast- I went from 10-12 mpg to 15-19 mpg while pulling . You’re going to see a huge ( biggest)drop on your insurance too. When I did the math on what I was saving… in what I was paying for fuel, insurance and upkeep on the f-250 for 6 months- I could pay for 12 months on my eco diesel. And, honestly the quality of ride was night and day…. Like I said - I didn’t look back!
sticknstring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknstring View Post
I like my 1/2 diesel- I’ve had it 4 yrs and it’s been great. Traded in f 250 king ranch and never looked back! I didn’t need to pull big RV anymore. I went from 15/ mpg on a good day to 28 mpg on a good day( I’ve hit 30-32 a few times on long trips). I still pull a horse, rv - cargo conversion and a 20’ cc to the coast- I went from 10-12 mpg to 15-19 mpg while pulling . You’re going to see a huge ( biggest)drop on your insurance too. When I did the math on what I was saving… in what I was paying for fuel, insurance and upkeep on the f-250 for 6 months- I could pay for 12 months on my eco diesel. And, honestly the quality of ride was night and day…. Like I said - I didn’t look back!
I struggle daily with trading in my F-250 tremor for a AT4 with the baby duramax

Only thing I own that would warrant a diesel would be the tractor but it stays at the ranch 99% of the time

Last edited by txtrophy85; 09-18-2022 at 10:31 AM.
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 10:47 AM   #12
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

The 3litre is an amazing platform. Early models had some hiccups. As most early model anything have. I wouldn't hesitate one second from buying one.

The internet forums. Have people worried. The ones I see with issues. Are the pavement pounders. That never see highway driving. So if you drive 12 miles round trip for work. Never see sustained highway miles. Or Temps. Do not buy. You will have issues.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 10:48 AM   #13
bowhntrmatt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Comstock

I have a friend with a baby duramax and he absolutely loves it. I have ridden many times and it is a great truck.

That said, if I was shopping a new 1/2 ton, I would have to look at the turbo 6’s out there. Ford and Toyota have them and Ram is on the way. Mileage in the 20’s, cheaper fuel, no DEF to buy and no emissions system issues.
bowhntrmatt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 11:06 AM   #14
Big Lee
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
I have a friend with a baby duramax and he absolutely loves it. I have ridden many times and it is a great truck.

That said, if I was shopping a new 1/2 ton, I would have to look at the turbo 6ís out there. Ford and Toyota have them and Ram is on the way. Mileage in the 20ís, cheaper fuel, no DEF to buy and no emissions system issues.
Read above. The emission issues are from lack of driving. Lack of exhaust heat. The turbo engines suffer as well. Lack of oiling. Lack of hwy speeds. Lack of being "stretched" out. Then suffer from Lack of cooling down or idle time. Both suffer the same issues. Driving style. If you are the in town. Short quick trip person. You WILL have issues. Turbo Gas or diesel.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:42 AM   #15
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default 3L Duramax opinions

If I were in the market for a 1/2 ton truck I would definitely consider the Duramax; even as hideous as I think the current body style is.

My SIL has one and gets 26 combined 30 on the highway in an RST (I think) 4x4 crew cab.

The 2023 just got a nice little bump in power and some other upgrades as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 12:02 PM   #16
sticknstring
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching atm

I totally agree with BigLee - these issues definitely will impact your turbo motors( big or small. Diesel or gas)
sticknstring is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 12:37 PM   #17
bpa556
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
If I were in the market for a 1/2 ton truck I would definitely consider the Duramax; even as hideous as I think the current body style is.

My SIL has one and gets 26 combined 30 on the highway in an RST (I think) 4x4 crew cab.

The 2023 just got a nice little bump in power and some other upgrades as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep. Chevy wrestled the ugliest pickup title from Toyota fair and squareÖand Iím a lifelong GM guy. The tiny Duramax puts a great drivetrain under all that ugly though. Go figure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bpa556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 10:36 PM   #18
Lampasas
Four Point

I have a 2022 Sierra AT4 with the duramax. I like it a lot but the best mileage I am seeing is about 24 on the Highway 21 in the city.
Lampasas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2022, 10:47 PM   #19
BDann
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kansas, all over Texas

I just bought a 2021 gmc with the 3L duramax and am loving it so far, but it has only been 1 month. The best mileage I’ve calculated so far is 27, worst is 24, wit a mix of city and highway driving. Pulling my 18’ skiff to the coast I got right at 20, and the truck doesn’t really know it’s there. I think it’s a great engine, but only time will tell. I’ve got a little over 3k on it, so it’s just getting broken in. For reference, my suburban with the 5.3 was getting about 10mpg pullling the boat.
BDann is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 06:22 AM   #20
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

Thanks for the feedback. Yes if I decide to go that route the body style will take some getting used to. I think they are ugly too. I also saw the new f150 and thought the same thing. It all really depends on what they actually offer me on my f250. They said they think I will be pretty surprised. Well I’m gonna need to be to make a deal. I absolutely love that truck. It’s a bit more than I need and costs me a bit more than I really need to paying to drive it. Everyone told me I’ll get 20 mpg out of it but I have yet to see it. It averages around 17 with nothing behind it.
KenWood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 08:53 AM   #21
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell8 View Post
Canít a moderna Tacoma pull a 20 ft skeeter no issues
Id imagine so considering the tundra can pull the space shuttle
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 09:03 AM   #22
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Since the only criteria you provided for us is you don't need your current '19 F250, I would say never buy a truck because "fuel mileage". it's a truck, it's never going to get "good" fuel mileage.

And I have to imagine a '19 F250 can push 20 mpg. If your current truck (which just turned 3 years old) hasn't given you any issues, I would not jump into the unknown with a new truck.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 09:22 AM   #23
Mitchell8
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Id imagine so considering the tundra can pull the space shuttle
And still get 10mpg!
Mitchell8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 09:42 AM   #24
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

Have a 22' 3.0 duramax, great little motor. Personal would wait for redesigned LZO 3.0 as they are going with steel pistons, tuning turbo, etc.

Mixed driving, 25mpg and often get 30 on highway (SLT 4x4).
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 11:34 AM   #25
gingib
Banned!!!

Hunt In: NTX

A 1500 can pull that boat. Just saying

No diesel or Duramax needed
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 11:38 AM   #26
blaqkpanda
Six Point

How long do you plan on keeping it? The belt that drives the oil pump is at the back of the engine so the transmission needs to be removed to service it. Recommended service interval is 150k miles, but I would do it at 100k or 10 years, whichever came first.

Last edited by blaqkpanda; 09-19-2022 at 11:58 AM. Reason: oil pump belt, not timing belt
blaqkpanda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #27
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaqkpanda View Post
How long do you plan on keeping it? The timing belt is at the back of the engine so the transmission needs to be removed to service it. Recommended service interval is 150k miles, but I would do it at 100k or 10 years, whichever came first.
Well that sucks.

I would go 6.2 over the duramax.
I am going to drive the wheels off my current diesel, but itís probably the last diesel I ever buy.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #28
blaqkpanda
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
Well that sucks.

I would go 6.2 over the duramax.
I am going to drive the wheels off my current diesel, but itís probably the last diesel I ever buy.
It's actually the oil pump belt, not the timing belt.
blaqkpanda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2022, 12:07 PM   #29
Aggiebush
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County and Draw Hunts

Love mine, runs like a top. It does get poor fuel mileage when towing a heavy trailer, but great otherwise. It’s a 2020 with 46K on it.
Aggiebush is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 08:01 PM   #30
Keith
Administrator

I have been seriously considering buying a 3.0L diesel truck, but read about issues on the internet that has me spooked. Most people don't have any issues, but some have major issues, with their trucks spending weeks in the shop waiting on parts. I am not one to trade trucks every couple of years. My current truck is a 20 year old GMC 1500HD with the 6 liter and the gas mileage sucks, but I'll never spend nearly enough in gas to justify having a truck payment again.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 08:48 PM   #31
texizona
Eight Point

Put me in the group that loves it when it's running, but continual emission issues have left a bad taste in my my mouth. My truck mainly takes long trips on the road, so the issue isn't short trips. This time, it's been sitting at the dealership for about a month, waiting for an ECM. There's no timetable for the part to arrive. GM is paying for a rental car, but the situation sucks. The fuel mileage and power are outstanding, but I've never had a new vehicle struggle to stay on the road. My truck is 2 years old, but the dealership tells me the new vehicles have the same issue. That's why there's such a backlog for replacement parts.
texizona is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2022, 09:39 PM   #32
Big Lee
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by texizona View Post
Put me in the group that loves it when it's running, but continual emission issues have left a bad taste in my my mouth. My truck mainly takes long trips on the road, so the issue isn't short trips. This time, it's been sitting at the dealership for about a month, waiting for an ECM. There's no timetable for the part to arrive. GM is paying for a rental car, but the situation sucks. The fuel mileage and power are outstanding, but I've never had a new vehicle struggle to stay on the road. My truck is 2 years old, but the dealership tells me the new vehicles have the same issue. That's why there's such a backlog for replacement parts.
Where are you located? PM me. I'd like to make sure you are back on the road.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:05 PM   #33
Keith
Administrator

My local dealer posted they got 4 truckloads of pickups in this week. I stopped in yesterday and they said not a single one was a 3.0L Duramax. The salesman was trying to sell me the new 2.7L turbo. He said they can't keep them on the lot, but that's probably true for any pickup right now. I hear it's got great torque, I may go drive one, but seriously don't think I'd buy one.
Old 09-23-2022, 03:18 PM   #34
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
My local dealer posted they got 4 truckloads of pickups in this week. I stopped in yesterday and they said not a single one was a 3.0L Duramax. The salesman was trying to sell me the new 2.7L turbo. He said they can't keep them on the lot, but that's probably true for any pickup right now. I hear it's got great torque, I may go drive one, but seriously don't think I'd buy one.
Were running a few of the 2.7 turbos for work trucks. They have been impressive. Ive driven one and was pretty impressed with the power it has for such a small engine, they pull trailers pretty good as well.
KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 03:30 PM   #35
public
Six Point

Hunt In: Fannin, Houston, Grayson

Love my 3.0 2021 RST Z71. 51K miles no issues. I average 28-30 MPG(hand calculated). 18-20 MPG towing the bass boat.
public is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 04:02 PM   #36
Johnson
Six Point

Hunt In: Mexico

Absolutely the best power plant with the ten speed trans for a 1/2 ton.
Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 05:40 PM   #37
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
Absolutely the best power plant with the ten speed trans for a 1/2 ton.
How so?
Old 09-23-2022, 06:00 PM   #38
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
How so?
Because he owns one

Here’s the deal , I don’t care which manufacturer you may purchase from there will be issues Especially if it was built in the last 3 yrs and including right now! I Definitely would not purchase a diesel that has to be torn apart at said 150k - that’s just absolutely Nuts to start off with.

Last edited by Bucknaked; 09-23-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 06:13 PM   #39
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
Because he owns one

Thatís kind of what I was thinking, but was going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:12 PM   #40
sunsethunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
Read above. The emission issues are from lack of driving. Lack of exhaust heat. The turbo engines suffer as well. Lack of oiling. Lack of hwy speeds. Lack of being "stretched" out. Then suffer from Lack of cooling down or idle time. Both suffer the same issues. Driving style. If you are the in town. Short quick trip person. You WILL have issues. Turbo Gas or diesel.

Agreed with this. Noisy off the guys I see with diesel issues don't drive them long enough and get them hot. My '20 power stroke has 72k and runs like new. Zero issues
sunsethunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:00 PM   #41
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
Because he owns one

Hereís the deal , I donít care which manufacturer you may purchase from there will be issues Especially if it was built in the last 3 yrs and including right now! I Definitely would not purchase a diesel that has to be torn apart at said 150k - thatís just absolutely Nuts to start off with.

No, as was said earlier in the thread the folks who buy diesels and make them mall crawlers are the ones that have problems.

Work them and get them hot and issues go way down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-23-2022, 08:30 PM   #42
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
No, as was said earlier in the thread the folks who buy diesels and make them mall crawlers are the ones that have problems.

Work them and get them hot and issues go way down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
They may go down, but I can assure you they wonít be eliminated.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:00 PM   #43
Captain39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Of course, it can pull the boat with ease. I laugh how everyone needs a huge truck now to pull something. Growing up my dad would have a bumper trailer loaded with cattle on 1/2 Ford. When I was in my early 20s, I pulled a boat around East Texas with a Ford Ranger 4 cly and standard transmission.
Captain39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2022, 10:18 AM   #44
Keith
Administrator

Quote:

I stopped in at the local dealer yesterday to drive a truck with the 2.7, but they had just received a Chevy LTZ Z71 with the 3.0L Duramax in Dark Ash Metallic. I took it for a test drive and man that is an awesome truck! It won't win a drag race against a 6.2L, but it isn't slow either. I loved everything about the truck, other than I really want the Sand Dune Metallic color, which is only available in the Trail Boss. I would also like the max tow with 3.73 differential, but it's not available in the Trail Boss.
I forgot all about driving the 2.7L, I'll have to go back up there to do that.
Old 09-25-2022, 11:34 AM   #45
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:
I stopped in at the local dealer yesterday to drive a truck with the 2.7, but they had just received a Chevy LTZ Z71 with the 3.0L Duramax in Dark Ash Metallic. I took it for a test drive and man that is an awesome truck! It won't win a drag race against a 6.2L, but it isn't slow either. I loved everything about the truck, other than I really want the Sand Dune Metallic color, which is only available in the Trail Boss. I would also like the max tow with 3.73 differential, but it's not available in the Trail Boss.
I forgot all about driving the 2.7L, I'll have to go back up there to do that.
2023 model? I saw where the new ones added 25 more HP. Is that the 3.0 or the 2.7? Buddy got his 2022 in April and needless to say it crushes his old tundra in mileage.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-25-2022, 06:11 PM   #46
Johnson
Six Point

Quote:
How so?
If your into drag racing get the 6.2. I had the 5.3 and this 3.0 blows it out the water. The 3.0 has plenty of get up and go. The good thing is It's making all of It's torque at 1600 RPM. This 3.0 is crawling at 1700 RPM at 80 MPH. The 6.2 makes the same amount at 4200 RPM. So hands down the 3.0 better pulling power going down the road. I got over 600 miles out of a tank of fuel the last time I went to the lease. That's a 25 gallon tank. That's driving 80 MPH. And yes I own one!

Last edited by Johnson; 09-25-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:08 PM   #47
Big Lee
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
2023 model? I saw where the new ones added 25 more HP. Is that the 3.0 or the 2.7? Buddy got his 2022 in April and needless to say it crushes his old tundra in mileage.
2.7 and prior 3.0 different animals. New 3.0 is upgraded from prior 3.0
Old 09-25-2022, 08:45 PM   #48
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
If your into drag racing get the 6.2. I had the 5.3 and this 3.0 blows it out the water. The 3.0 has plenty of get up and go. The good thing is It's making all of It's torque at 1600 RPM. This 3.0 is crawling at 1700 RPM at 80 MPH. The 6.2 makes the same amount at 4200 RPM. So hands down the 3.0 better pulling power going down the road. I got over 600 miles out of a tank of fuel the last time I went to the lease. That's a 25 gallon tank. That's driving 80 MPH. And yes I own one!
The 5.3 outruns it as wellÖ
Considering that diesel costs about a $1.50 more than gas a gallon, even the the better fuel efficiency of the diesel doesnít give it much of an edge over the 5.3 in actual dollars spent on fuel. Not to mention the higher cost of maintenance of the diesel.
The 5.3 also doesnít require jerking the transmission out at 150k to have some belt replaced.
So, tell me again how does the 3.0 ďblow it out of the waterĒ?
Old 09-25-2022, 08:55 PM   #49
Keith
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post

I am interested in the 2023 3.0L Duramax, this is an updated version of the 2019-2022 year model LM2, with a new order code of LZ0.

The 2.7L I am referring to is their new turbo gas engine. Supposedly it has crazy HP and torque numbers for such a small engine. I really don't see me going that route.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #50
Johnson
Six Point

Quote:
The 5.3 outruns it as well…
Considering that diesel costs about a $1.50 more than gas a gallon, even the the better fuel efficiency of the diesel doesn’t give it much of an edge over the 5.3 in actual dollars spent on fuel. Not to mention the higher cost of maintenance of the diesel.
The 5.3 also doesn’t require jerking the transmission out at 150k to have some belt replaced.
So, tell me again how does the 3.0 “blow it out of the water”?
Drive both of them and pull a load with both of them. 3.0 is the better all around option. 3.0 has plenty of get up and go. Actually it feel like it has more horse power then it has. If you drive 80MPH in a 5.3 your fuel mileage goes way down like only getting 15-17 miles per gallon if your lucky. The 5.3 is a great engine with plenty power for a half ton.

Last edited by Johnson; 09-26-2022 at 09:14 AM.