No Till Amounts: Oats & Clover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am wanting to create a little kill plot that is about .11 acre. I'll be broadcasting and no till. I can't find the amounts to broadcast for oats and clover. Thanks for the help!

Broadcast seed rate for oats is 75-100 lbs per acre, bout 12-15 lbs per acre on clover (not 100% on the clover, cuz I don’t ever plant it). So with something that small you’re gonna be around 12-15 lbs of oats, 1-1/2 to 2 lbs of clover. If my math is even close to right. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Thanks!!!

Comment

Growing deer tv has some good info on small plots. I play it by ear. Usually works.

Comment

I've had my best luck spraying the plot with roundup, waiting a week or two, spreading the oats and then mowing the vegetation down on top of the oat seed.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            I've had my best luck spraying the plot with roundup, waiting a week or two, spreading the oats and then mowing the vegetation down on top of the oat seed.
            That was the plan except for mowing but with the weather calling for rain next couple of days might just broadcast then reseed again in 2wks..etc

Comment

Oats and clover really need soil contact for germination. If your pretty sure of rain then go ahead but I think you're 3 to 4 weeks early.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Oats and clover really need soil contact for germination. If your pretty sure of rain then go ahead but I think you're 3 to 4 weeks early.

Agreed. I wouldnt plant anything until around October 1st. Army worms might wipe you out if you plant to early.

I would do 100-115# per acre of oats. I like to go a bit heavy as it doesnt cost me much more to do so and it ensures I get a good stand typically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Yeah I thought I was early. Wanted something for archery opener if possible. I'll hold off couple of weeks. Thanks!

Comment

If I was in your shoes I'd broadcast horse oats sans the clover right now. Thats the only way youll get a stand for bow season. Who knows, you may luck out with the worms. An early cool front would help. If it doesn't work out replant in a month.

Comment

Originally posted by beads View Post
                      That was the plan except for mowing but with the weather calling for rain next couple of days might just broadcast then reseed again in 2wks..etc
                      The mowing helps with getting seed to soil contact. I've tried it both ways. This plot was bare dirt the first time I planted it. I broadcasted it and dragged over it. Plot got way better when I started broadcasting the seed then mowing over it.

And I agree, I think you're a bit early.

Comment

White or red clover? White is 6lbs an acre, and red is 12. 75-100lbs on the oats. I would also throw in some cereal rye too. Deer like it, but not as much as oats. Plot that small you are risking getting wiped out if they find it too quick. If you want to add some organic matter to the mix add in 5lbs of daikon radish. Big tap root and deer will leave them until January or so. Great soil builders

Comment

I've had great results with throw and mow oats.

My experience.....
                          -use seed oats. Horse oats have lower germination rates.
                          -broadcast @ 200lbs per acre
                          -don't waste time & money spraying.
                          -plant the 1st or 2nd week in October ahead of a rain.
                          -fertilize once you see about 3" of green

You might find it a struggle to get a stand on a plot that small. Once the deer find it, they will eat it as fast as it grows. They love oats.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

You need soil contact for both oats and clover otherwise the plant will spout but quickly die due to insufficient roots.

Also, I attended the Producers Co-Op seminar on forage production a few weeks ago. They covered everything that can be grown for forage this winter and they advised against mixing clover and oats. I can't recall exactly why but I think they said one will outgrown the other and prevent the other from succeeding. Clover and ryegrass is a better mix.

Comment

Originally posted by beads View Post
                              I mow or drag mine to provide some more seed to contact
                              Thatch provides protection and saves moisture

BP

Comment

Working...
                              X