X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Age input please-Hill Country

Saw him the first time last year. We guess 3-4, but guess is the key word
    Attached Files

My guess is that he'll be 3.5 this fall.

Comment

Can you post some pics from last year? He doesn’t look too old in this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
        Can you post some pics from last year? He doesn’t look too old in this one.
        This.

Comment

Man I wish I could. We just saw him at the end of the season (sitting with my wife just watching deer in a blind”. Never had him on camera. Got to watch him through the Binos for about 45 minutes is all.

Comment

If your trying to manage the place he is not mature still young.

Comment

We do try to the degree you can manage 120 acre low fence place. If the neighbors want to abuse resources that’s their call. We try very hard not to. We feed protein Jan-mid August. Corn year round. We have been keeping cotton seed in all the feeder pens this year but the cows sure get aggressive when it’s there so our cotton seed program got interrupted by feeder pen rebuilding. Basic rules:
              No horns under 5 yo
              Exceptions made for a kids first buck
              Anything with no G1’s after 3 yo is fair game
              We try to manage the doe population but probably don’t shoot enough
              I mostly just shoot pigs and does-we let the kids shoot the horns
              Guest can shoot anything considered a shooter if it means enough for them to spend the money on a shoulder mount

Probably not an official management plan but it’s what we have in place

Comment

Without previous knowledge of a deer, those deer in the hill country can be tough. I have a couple that are 6 year old deer and especially at this stage in velvet/summer coats they’re even harder to tell. Once they hard horn and start getting a little testosterone it’s easier to tell to an extent

Just going off that one pic that deer could be a 4-5 year old I don’t think he’s over 5 but looks older than a low fence small acreage hill country 3 to me.
                Last edited by SwampBuck; 08-21-2022, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Year and a half tops.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                    Without previous knowledge of a deer, those deer in the hill country can be tough. I have a couple that are 6 year old deer and especially at this stage in velvet/summer coats they’re even harder to tell. Once they hard horn and start getting a little testosterone it’s easier to tell to an extent

Just going off that one pic that deer could be a 4-5 year old I don’t think he’s over 5 but looks older than a low fence small acreage hill country 3 to me.
                    Agree...

Comment

He is 5

Comment

I’m seeing a 5 year old. Potentially a healthy 4 year old but leaning towards 5.

Comment

My first thought was 4 year old. Summer hill country bucks are tough to age.

Comment

He’s 3 or better and on 120 LF if he tickles your fancy about mid Nov bust’em

Comment

3 maybe 4 tops. Give him another year or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X