Hi fence Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi fence Management

Is there really any true way to make a hi fence place produce bigger native deer if you truly have no good genetics ? Are you just wasting time and money trying with out bringing good genetics into the pasture? You pour protein to them but still nothing amazing after 3 years nothing any better at all actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It can happen. Encinal’s place Las Raices, is native genetics and it’s high fenced I believe. However I have no idea what they started with. If for instance you have a herd of 120 pound 115 inch coastal deer you may be able to improve them but will they ever get to 190 pounds and 170”?? I would think it’s very difficult.

Comment

Culling a feeding should improve your deer. Maybe not blow them up but make them better.

Maybe have your feed analyzed.

Comment

The problem is no 10 point genetics to speak of hard to get a central Texas 8pt to 150s

Comment

Comment

Three years is hardly enough time for assumptions. Long term goals with a good management plan will take some time to see any kind of results but age being one of the most important factors is just that. With that said, you need to have some kind of good genetics to start with.

Comment

The age is there honestly most bucks are way past the prime. I think we should kill every buck 7 are older myself. Less mouths to feed and less Competition for breeding and food for the younger deer. We basically already know what the older bucks will do and that’s nothing much . But eat the majority of the feed and still not add any inches are not near enough to make it worth your while and money you spend on feed .

Comment

Yes But, It Just Takes Way Longer than Post People Like. You Have To Heavy Cull A High Fence Ranch or Have Deep Pockets to Keep up with a Heavy Feed Program to Support The Ranch. Good Genetics Can Get Hidden By way to Many Deer.

Comment

I had a neighbor who high fenced his place with native deer. After 10 years, he opened all the gates back up. Said the little bit of improvement that he saw wasn’t near worth the cost and effort it took.

Now I have another neighbor who high fenced his place, pushed all the native deer out, then turned out breeder bucks and does. Occasionally, one of those bucks escapes. They really help the genetics of the native population.
                  Last edited by BlackdirtCowboy; 08-15-2022, 09:55 PM.

Comment

We high fenced our Shackelford co place in 2012.
                    The 1000 acres ended up with about 30 deer trapped inside the fence.

The native deer certainly got bigger than they had been getting, but mostly just because they got older and didn’t get blasted by all our small neighbors.

The herd of wild TTT deer brought in from south Texas absolutely blew the doors off the native deer in both body size and antler characteristics.

Looking back 10 years, I wish we had just killed off the native deer and let the south Texas deer do there thing. We pretty much had to wait 7 years anyway to start shooting big one so not sure how much benefit we got from letting the native deer hang around a couple years after the fence went up.

Just my experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I listen to a podcast that had an episode about this early on. I don't remember all of the specifics, but the answer was yes, it is possible. But it takes 3 generations to start seeing it, then it progresses faster from there. The test was done with as much feed as they could eat.

I think in the first generation they saw little to no change, like +1/2" and 3-4 lbs ave.

Second generation was like +7" and 10-13lbs

3rd gen was something like +22" and 40-60lbs I think.

This was all measured and weighed 3 yr olds.

Ex: wild 110"/130lbs
                      1st gen - 110.5"/133lbs
                      2nd gen - 117"/140lbs
                      3rd gen - 132"/180lbs

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s kind of a loaded question. Most likely the genetics are fine. So my short answer would be yes, it’s possible. We’d have to know a LOT more about your place to start making any other assumptions.

I’ve seen it done before. Large and small places. For example I know of a 9,000+ acre place in the hill country that when my buddy first started managing it, you couldn’t find anything better than a 100” 8 point anywhere on the ranch. Now, 180’s-200” deer are common. All native. But it took more than three years.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          That’s kind of a loaded question. Most likely the genetics are fine. So my short answer would be yes, it’s possible. We’d have to know a LOT more about your place to start making any other assumptions.

I’ve seen it done before. Large and small places. For example I know of a 9,000+ acre place in the hill country that when my buddy first started managing it, you couldn’t find anything better than a 100” 8 point anywhere on the ranch. Now, 180’s-200” deer are common. All native. But it took more than three years.
                          We killed a lot of deer those first few years. Rome wasn't built over night. Patience and do it the right way in my opinion instead of going for the quick fix.

Read that link in post #5.

Comment

You could also bring in some bred doe to help jump start it.

Comment

I think no matter where you are the genetics are probably good. Its hard to tell but I think you should see results first year. I hunt low fence. The problem is those results seem to be in the younger deer first. I think you have to train the young deer to live off protein. Which is why it seems to take a while. I think a big factor is also the natural food available. It also depends on what your goals are. Do you want 150" or 200"+?

Comment

Working...
                              X